• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What to Do with My Switch

Which would be the better option?

• Send my Switch to Nintendo to get it fixed

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Buy a new Switch

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Last year my Switch's Micro SD card reader stopped working. It occasionally acts like everything's fine, but most of the time it's been unable to read any of my memory cards (even if I just bought them). I recently sent it to an off-hand repair shop to get the reader fixed, but they said it has something to do with the motherboard since they tried fixing and replacing the card reader but nothing changed.

The only option they gave is to send my Switch to Nintendo to get it fixed. I have a Switch Lite to back up my save data that doesn't have cloud support, so I don't have to worry about losing anything, but I don't have a warranty anymore since I got my Switch back in 2018, so I'm debating whether or not it'd be better to just buy a new Switch instead. Which would be the better option?

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It couldn't hurt to try to contact Nintendo first, just to see what you can do. If it ends up costing too much, it might be better to just buy a new Switch.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Just get it fixed. Save yourself some money.

There's probably a local repair shop that can fix the console for a decent price. It all depends on where you live.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Just get it fixed. Save yourself some money.

There's probably a local repair shop that can fix the console for a decent price. It all depends on where you live.
I already tried that. They’re the ones who said the motherboard is busted and that I need to send it to Nintendo

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I agree. Transferring all saved data on the system itself to a Switch Lite is the best thing to do until you get a new Switch.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Last year my Switch's Micro SD card reader stopped working. It occasionally acts like everything's fine, but most of the time it's been unable to read any of my memory cards (even if I just bought them). I recently sent it to an off-hand repair shop to get the reader fixed, but they said it has something to do with the motherboard since they tried fixing and replacing the card reader but nothing changed.

The only option they gave is to send my Switch to Nintendo to get it fixed. I have a Switch Lite to back up my save data that doesn't have cloud support, so I don't have to worry about losing anything, but I don't have a warranty anymore since I got my Switch back in 2018, so I'm debating whether or not it'd be better to just buy a new Switch instead. Which would be the better option?
I'd just buy a new switch. The motherboard is usually one of the most expensive components of hardware and motherboard replacements can be more expensive than actually buying a new console. However, if Nintendo's offer is more cheaper, than go ahead. Key-word MORE cheaper. If the price is neck-to-neck to the cost of a Switch, just buy a new Switch (for example 250 dollars for a repair vs. 300 dollars for a new console).

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'd just buy a new switch. The motherboard is usually one of the most expensive components of hardware and motherboard replacements can be more expensive than actually buying a new console. However, if Nintendo's offer is more cheaper, than go ahead. Key-word MORE cheaper. If the price is neck-to-neck to the cost of a Switch, just buy a new Switch (for example 250 dollars for a repair vs. 300 dollars for a new console).

Definitely. I lucked out with mine since I had to send my joycons in for repair/replacement, then the wifi chip and the motherboard were screwed. I let Nintendo know and they felt bad about my luck and I was able to get my system repaired, free of charge.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Wait for the OLED model in October and then upgrade. In the mean time, transfer your saved data to the Switch Lite.

I wouldn't get rid of that Switch just yet, though. You might be able to use it for trades between Pokemon games until you get a replacement.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Wait for the OLED model in October and then upgrade. In the mean time, transfer your saved data to the Switch Lite.

I wouldn't get rid of that Switch just yet, though. You might be able to use it for trades between Pokemon games until you get a replacement.
I echo this. This is the same course of action that I would take. Especially with the Switch OLED coming out in 11 days.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Thanks everyone for the advice.

A quick update: I've had my Switch back for a couple of weeks and, by a weird coincidence, the SD card reader is working fine. I tried turning it off and on a couple of times just to be safe when I first got it back, but it seems to be working fine (knock on wood). I haven't taken it off of its dock since then because I was worried it'd act up again, but I may try it since I'm worried about screwing up the battery.

I called Nintendo and they said if I want to replace the motherboard it'd just be a couple hundred bucks. For now, I'm going to stick with my current Switch, but I'm still not sure if I should send it in for repairs or buy an OLED if the SD card reader stops working again

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Next time you take an electronic item to be repaired and get a response like "oh, it's a problem with the motherboard", try to ask what the specific problem is. Even if you don't understand it, try to remember as many details as possible as it can help people who do understand it tell if you're being ripped off or not.

In this case I'm glad everything worked out and your Switch started working again, but personally I'm inherently suspicious of vague responses like that coming from any repair shop, not just a third party one (authorized repair shops are just as bad if not worse in many places when it comes to this).