• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What type do you choose to start with?

Floette

Fennekin
I usually choose based on aesthetic appeal, usability, & overall likability.

But one type I never choose is fire. The only fire starter I actually like is Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion, though I can tolerate the Charizard line. To me, fire is way too overrated and overused in terms of starter pokemon. I also get extremely annoyed at the fire-fighting types.

Usually I am left with grass and water, both types I really like.

I love all grass starters, save for sceptile.

I love all of the water starters, though I am not too big a fan of Feraligatr. I also think that Samurott is absolutely abhorrent, though I absolutely love his previous evolutions.

Necro101

That's a hard one... I would probably choose grass. I would choose Grass type starters because their are too many fire and fighting in the fire starters and the only one I like is Blaziken... I would not choose water because of the miss of variety.(and only like Swampert) Plus I realy like Sceptile and Serperior.

RAWK ON

SolidWolverine

I choose water about 80% of the time. It seems that the water starters always have some of the coolest evolutions in my opinion(huge cannon turtle , alligator, samurai, etc.). Can't go wrong with either of those.

SamtheUlfr

Well, I tend to choose the most aesthetically appealing starter to me which has basically turned into me choosing fire for the first three generations, then grass the last two.

Chapatrap

FRLF: Bulbasaur, I always found it hard to get past the first two Gyms with Squirtle and Charmander. I was only 6 at the time, though.
RSE: Depends. First playthrough I chose Treeko but after that I always used Mudkip.
PDP: Piplup. I tried the other starters a few times and found them all right.
BW: Usually Oshawott. I have tried the other starters.

With Pokemon, I choose the Fire Type for a challenge, The Water type for an enjoyable time and the Grass Type for an easy game.

Whoever looks cooler IMO

Kanto: Charmander

Johto: Totodile

Hoenn: Torchic

Sinnoh: Piplup

Unova: Snivy (also my first grass type if that wasn't obvious)

colorless-winter

i love my Sylveon!
here i go...

kanto: charmander or squirtle - i never really cared for bulbasaur that much

jhoto: typhlosion all the way man!- always been my favorite starter

hoenn ( i dont really like this reigon much to the point where i dont know how its even spelt): to be honest i liked all the starters just not other pokemon or the reigon itself

sinnoh ( first main series game ever was pearl): i usually picked piplup or turtwig but my most recent playthrough i didnt use it. in box 1 at about lv 20

unova: snivy, my first and forever unova starter i just dont like emboar or samurott much.

so i usually pick grass or fire, whatever takes my interest at the time. its pretty rare when i like a water starter so far.

Last edited:

miu miu

I go for whichever appeals the most to me or whichever is the cutest xD~
I usually pick water types though ...

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
Most of the time I choose water or ire but thats only going with my favorites. My favorites are squirtle, cyndaquil, mudkip, chimchar, and oshawot so yeah. Sometimes I will choose a different one though if I'm getting tired of using my favs.

FireEmblemAddict

運命なんか死人の言い訳だ
Gen 1: Bulbasaur
Gen 2: Chikorita
Gen 3: Mudkip
Gen 4: Turtwig
Gen 5: Snivy

As you can see, grass starters usually reign supreme in my world. However, I have an unexplainable hatred toward Treecko, and Mudkip is just awesome, so Gen 3 is the only exception to the pattern.

D

Deleted member 318910

I always go with the starter that is the same type as the color of the cartridge.(for example, FireRed=Charmander, Ruby=Torchic, Gold=Cyndaquil, Black=Tepig)

pokemon trainer mystery

13 years of playtime being sumarised so here goes.
R/B/FR/LG tried them all charmander line always was my favorite
G/S/C/HG/SS tried them all mostly Cyndaquil/Totodile

R/S/E tried them all liked them all for diffrent reasons (Torchic line for its original typing and power treeko line for its power/speed and looks and mudkip line for its sturdyness and how easy it was to use.
D/P/PT considering i don't remember training turtwig at all and not being all that interested in how chimchar and its evos played mostly piplups line which wasn't all that eaither.
B/W only went through it once with each so far but i'd say i like snivys line for its sturdyness and looks, tepigs line dispite being enouther fire fighting type
is easier to use then chimchars line and Oshawott up to dewott looked decent and samauratt was ok too
B2/W2 will be using tepig and snivy.

Turned out longer then i originaly intended so sorry about that :/

GC7

This War Is Ours!
Well I usually don't choose by type, I mostly go for how they look,
gen 1- Squirtle
gen 2 - Cyndaquil
gen 3 - Blaziken
gen 4 - Infernape
gen 5 - Snivy