• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What type of Poke Fan are you?

What type of Poke Fan are you?

• Competitive -- you like the thrill of hand raising your own balanced team to face off against others

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • In the Middle -- you like to raise Pokemon and battle as well, but aren't as competitive

Votes: 39 62.9%
  • Casual -- just like to play the game for fun, not so much for raising Pokemon and battling

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Other -- describe in thread

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Just for fun... given that the series seems to have more casual and non casual fans... where do you fit?

I kind of view myself as in the middle. A not very competitive player who's played the games for a long time, but isn't a casual player either.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I'm a hardcore casual. Like, I'm definitely in it just to have fun; the competitive scene has been abysmally boring to me since like, 2010 or so - I think that's the last time I participated. I was good, and my experiences there have carried over to enough of an extent that I still like battling and will even breed and train for combat once in a great while, but I could seriously not care less about the competitive scene and when new games come out it's all about the fun of the experience for me. Breeding also isn't my thing - I plan my team based on what I like, or I wing it and see what I find. The only exception to that is something like getting myself a Hyper Voice Pixilate Sylveon, which I did not for competitive play but because I just thought it was super cool and Sylveon is lit.

About half of my life with the franchise has been as a casual now, I guess.

No judgment to people who enjoy the current competitive scene, of course - that it's not for me doesn't mean it's bad or anything, or anything less than incredible for some people. I'm just, like, cynicism personified, so yeah!

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm in the middle. I'm not a competitive player, but I like to raise my Pokémon well and play for fun.

Probably casual. I just train whatever I want. Last time I did a battle against anyone was in gen 6 and the time before in gen 4. I see myself more as a collector though. Having a living dex in my box and my main goal postgame being shiny hunting.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I'm the first to vote for "Other"! I dunno, I find myself pretty unique as a pokefan. I enjoy the games and the anime for what they're intended for, but my favorite things are making my trainer look adorable, I'm really getting into shiny hunting now too. (again, a looking-good thing). I'm also a shipping fanatic.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I chose the "in the middle" option despite me being mostly casual. I love to raise my Pokémon to be as strong as possible, get good natures and occasionally participate in a battle facility, but I dislike fighting online strangers and have no interest in competitive Pokémon whatsoever.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
In the middle, I like to breed Pokemon with the best natures for them but have no interest in battling competitively against other people.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm a competitive, Pokemon Adventures-crazed, Pokeanime-watching, story lore-loving, TCG-playing Pokemon fan.

Deadeye

H(a)unting...
Middle. I play the game for fun and yes, I like battling with my favs and experimenting with others, but when it comes to competitive battling I'd feel too fenced in by all commonly accepted tiers etc. and it would be too much for my lazy breeding habits. I've participated some online competitions however, even if I completely sucked with my authentic less-than-perfect-non-OU mons, I like pushing mysef a bit outta comfort zone and see what happens! Can't be arsed to fill the dex tho, even while it's relatively easy in the newer gens and shiny charm tempts me.
I don't watch anime much anymore aside from random episodes and movies, same goes for manga. I still find myself appreciating the quality fan stuff.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Casual. I have some non-casual attributes like shiny hunting, but that's about it

AuroraBeam

I put middle, but I'm probably less than that but more than the casual vote. I like looking into different pokemon's traits and seeing what is considered good/bad competitively. However I have never raised a competitively viable one myself nor played competitive.

I'm putting more effort into my games now postgame than ever before trying to get a complete dex on my 3rd gen games.

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
I'm probably middle but lean toward casual. Sometimes I will get an interest and try harder to fill my Pokedex, but generally I'm very casual and stop playing the games after the main quest is over and I've done what the game has to offer afterward. Even if I train Pokemon post-game, I do it only because I like that particular Pokemon. I would never be competitive, it's just too much time and effort put into a video game for me.

I selected Other as I am mostly a fan of the anime. I do like some of the games also but very casually. But most of my love for the franchise comes mainly from the anime and anime-inspired fanfiction.