• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What type of starter do you choose most often in games?

DuskAstral

I usually choose a fire starter, although there were moments when I tried an adventure with grass or water.

TRNRLogan

Fire and Grass. Depending on which design I prefer.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’ve always picked the Fire starter aside from Gen 3 but I like Torchic and Treecko equally

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
It honestly varies, I've never really been one to commit to a set type. I know people who do though - I have a friend who uses exclusively Water type starters on their first playthrough unless they hate the design or evolution, and I knew someone years ago who just stuck to Fire types. Going by my go-to choices for each region though...

001.png
155.png
258.png
387.png
495.png
656.png
722.png
816.png

Grass = 4
Fire = 1
Water = 3

Grass types would appear to be my preference! It's not that clear though, since Hoenn / Sinnoh / Unova are all difficult choices for me (I like Treecko, Piplup, Chimchar and Tepig a lot) and it depends on my mood, but they're my initial go-to choices. Turtwig is the odd one out there though since I've not actually used one yet, but Torterra is my favourite final form of the Sinnoh starters and has been for ages so it wins.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I've usually been sticking to Water types. (Hugs Froakie and Mudkip tightly.) I've usually predicted which pokemons i like and what i need to survive the adventure.

In Omega Ruby i chose Mudkip but i also got Froakie in a trade. It was really valuable because of it's top notch speed. Swampert served it's role as good HM user including Rock Smash and Waterfall but still good in battles.
Also this moveset for Greninja has worked really well for me. Water Shuriken, Dark Pulse Surf and Ice Beam.

As a result when i got Froakie was my starter in Gen 6, never regretted it after learning to use E-Shop

For Gen 7 I wanted Incineroar right when i saw it. But i also went after a Froakie in a trade for coverage. Since several trials are hard for Litten alone My Ultra Sun Froakie even has Protean ability.

Last edited:

Cuddy

Cyndaquil Master
I always pick the best starter for the first or second gym. Most of the time, they end up in storage, because there are always better Pokemon to grab by type later in the game. For example, I pick Tepig in Gen 5, but I always store him so I can have the Litwick line in my party. I favor ghost types more then fighting types. In Gen 6, I go between Fennekin and Froakie, but I also love Talonflame and Dragalge always have a place in my heart. Even though Dragalge is not a water type, I always have atleast 2 water moves on him.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I tend to almost always pick Water as it’s my favourite type. However, in both my Gen 4 games I went for the Fire-types, mainly due to how good Chimchar and Cyndaquil are in Sinnoh and Johto based on type matchups against the major bosses.

raichu27

This would make a good poll.

I would mostly say Fire, although, Sceptile would be my favorite from Hoenn.

Luthor

Typically the Water one. Blastoise was my first and it proved useful so its a habit I tend to keep in most games unless there's another starter I specifically prefer. Water Starters normally have good coverage with Ice moves so its normally quite useful against most things.

Artuditwo

Audino and the Cinccino of power!
Grass, water is also nice
I've only picked tepig and most of the time in X & Y Fenekinn for fire

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Typically pick the Water-type since it is my favourite type. Sinnoh was probably the only region where the Water-type was not my first choice.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
When I'm playing a generation for the first time, I prefer using the Water starter as its my favorite of the three types

Trillion

ruby: mudkip
leafgreen: bulbasaur
emerald: treecko
diamond: turtwig
y: froakie
omega ruby: mudkip
moon: rowlet
ultra moon: litten
sword: grookey
brilliant diamond: chimchar
legends arceus: cyndaquil

three water, three fire, five grass

quaxly is my pick for gen 9. i'm not going to look at leaks; so unless the evolutions are officially revealed before release and it causes me to change my mind, the water starter is a lock

grass would still be in the lead though

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I typically choose the Fire-type and Water-type Starters most of the time. I rarely pick Grass-type Starters, although I have made a few exceptions in some games since I was quite fond of Kimori (Treecko) and Tsutarja (Snivy).

Tsukisha

Kanto: Charmander
Johto: Chikorita
Hoenn: Treecko
Sinnoh: Piplup
Unova: Tepig
Kalos: Fennekin
Alola: Popplio
Galar: Scorbunny

I went with the Fire-type starter most of the times, even though as far as the eighth generation goes I actually like Raboot more than Cinderace. The same applies for Thwackey and Drizzile: I'd pick them over their evolutions.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
I tend to hop between water and grass. Gen 6 and 2 are the only times I chose fire.