• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Video Game are you currently playing?

So I bought and finished Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, and it’s now tied with Pandora’s Box as my favourite in the whole series! The story is great (and involves neither dinosaurs nor mechas which is always good) and it actually got me to cry a little, the gameplay is the best it’s ever been, and the jump to 3DS really did well for the game overall. The only reason it’s not better than Pandora’s Box is because the latter has an absolutely beautiful atmosphere and one of my favourite antagonists in the whole series (although Descole is quickly rising to the same level as him). My current rankings (including the movie which I watched before playing Miracle Mask) are:

1: Layton Brothers Mystery Room (at this point this is probably slightly influenced by nostalgia bias but eh)
2: Professor Layton and Pandora’s Box + Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
3: Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva
4: Professor Layton and the Lost Future
5: Professor Layton and the Spectre’s Call
6: Professor Layton and the Curious Village

I swapped Lost Future and Spectre’s Call because in hindsight, a dinosaur seal? Really?

Banzai

Mega Man 11, Just Dance 2019, 2 Fast 4 Gnomz (WiiWare version).

I've completed the first and third of those, the second one doesn't have a storyline, still waiting for JD Unlimited exclusives to be announced. I do think the Switch version is much better than the original Wii version.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I'm playing Red Dead Redemption II right now. Really good game. I don't think it's necessarily 10/10 material (since there are things that could be improved), but overall it's definitely worth getting.

Gizmoduck

Burns eternally hot
Infamous 2 on PS3, but slowly.
I liked the first game, but I had to play it twice in a row (morality and all that) and got kind of sick of it, and the second game is too much like the first. It's slow going. I don't hate it or anything.

Just Cause 2 on PS3.
Really fun open world game that is waaaaaaaay bigger than I figured it was at first glance, but it has bad memories attached to it, so I'm taking it slow now too.

Berserk on PS4.
On what a conundrum. I freaking love Berserk as a manga series more than anything, but I absolutely am unimpressed by the Dynasty Warriors/Musou gameplay, which, unfortunately it is. If it didn't say Berserk on it and if it wasn't slowly introducing possibly new details to combat to make it less "Mash X", I would've quit it my first day.

Nothing wrong with beat em ups or hack and slash, but this is way, way too basic. With a horrible difficulty spike too. 4 modes: Easy, Normal, Hard, Berserk. The first three are literal baby modes where you don't even get hit and the final one is not only challenging, but literally impossible with a lot of grinding beforehand.

What kind of game design is this? A nice balance of Hard and Berserk would be great to start and then go to Berserk at the very end.

Even funnier is that the game literally begs you to go on Easy when you first boot it up. After seeing Hard mode, I can't even imagine Easy... o_O

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Rented out Abzu. I 100% beat it and got all the trophies in 1.5 hours. I had already seen a lot of people play it, so I knew the story and the feels, and I just wanted to add more trophies to my gamerscore and add another quick game to my "beat it" list. Now I'm working on Little Nightmares. Most of the way done, though I'm not going for all the trophies this time. Again, I've already seen plenty of people play this game, so I know the story. I also bought God Wars: Future's Past for dirt cheap. Don't know when I'll get around to it though.

M.P.

Retired
Replaying Jak 3 to get all the remaining Precursor Orbs. Still missing 18...

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I finally completed Persona 5 yesterday. It's a fantastic game, but its main weakness has to be the characterization. As individual characters, some of the phantom thieves (i.e. Ryuji, Ann, Haru) deserved better treatment. Particularly Haru, who imo felt more like an afterthought than a genuine party member.
I've also been playing Red Dead Redemption 2. I've been too busy exploring to progress past the beginning of Chapter 2 - I've only completed a couple of story quests.

Last edited:

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I went through the 4 episodes of The Council that are currently out and...I hate the puzzles, so much. Most of the time, I just went to YouTube and looked up the answers because I didn't even want to bother with them. And the funny thing is, some of these YouTubers outright say "I spent over an hour on this puzzle and edited the video down to 15 minutes just so it would look good to you guys." That's...really bad. The story was good for the first 3 episodes, but then in the 4th episode, it just sort of changes mood and tone drastically. Suddenly it goes from a mostly normal detective game to paranormal gods vs. men story. It's kind of like Bioshock Infinite's storytelling, in that way. I think my choices have mattered, since I've seen other playthroughs and seen what cutscenes those people get, so that's good. For those playing, I chose the "I am a MAN!" option at the end and am hoping to throw a monkeywrench in everyone's plans and foil everything on both sides. It'll be fun, if the game allows it.

I also played through Layers of Fear. I've seen it played plenty of times, so I already knew the story, knew where the jumpscares were. It was $7 on the PSN, so I thought, why not? Another game to add to the "completed" list. Surprisingly, I got the "paints himself" ending, when I wasn't really trying to. I didn't get all the collectibles or trophies, so I might go back and do those, or I might just go on to the DLC. For people wondering, yes, it is a good game and a good horror game that doesn't rely on jumpscares to scare you (though it does have jumpscares; they're just not as prevalent as in other recent horror games). It focuses more on atmosphere and building up tension and having the player become disturbed by the protagonist himself. Great game, but sometimes it shows that it's a translated foreign game, as it'll use modern language in a story set in Victorian times (pretty sure the phrase "nightmare fuel" wasn't in vogue during the 1800s).

This was several days ago now, but I finished Azran Legacy. Very solid game, I’d rank it just below my two favourites. It was crazy, but the series has always been crazy so it works for me. I’d die for the five man band.

Since while I love puzzles I am pretty sick of them, I’m skipping out on Layton’s Mystery Journey for now, and I’ll probably watch the anime instead if my interest in it picks up. Instead, I decided to make a bold decision and finally restart my Omega Ruby file. Where I left off today, I just beat Winona. I’m remembering why this game is so much fun, and I’m especially happy this time because I actually know basic strategy. I also actually didn’t make a team plan before playing, but I’m happy with the squad I’ve made.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I'm currently playing Let's Go Eevee (which doesn't need explaining), Dark Souls Remastered with my boyfriend, and Keitai Denjuu Telefang for like the 4th time.

Dark Souls Remastered is a remake of the western style RPG made by From Software for the PS3 and later (poorly) ported to everything else. Like the original, Remastered is best experienced on Playstation. I'm a decent chunk through (midway through Sen's fortress right now). It's hard to talk about Dark Souls' story since there really isn't much of one... Not officially anyway. Lots of fan theories (some better than others). Good game, lots of fun!

Keitai Denjuu Telefang (or just Telefang) is a little monster collecting game released in 2001 for the Gameboy Color. A lot of people may know it by the name Chinese bootleggers gave it when they brought it to the west as Pokemon Diamond and Jade, though these bootlegs are... barely playable at best. The story isn't anything special, you're a human boy who is accidentally transported into the Denjuu world through a tree called an Antenna Tree that provides cell phone signals. Thematically, it's sort of a mix between pokemon and Digimon and visually it looks a lot like the GBC Zelda games, though it definitely stands on it's own. I'd definitely recommend it if you can read Japanese, though there is a fan translation in the works. I think they're about halfway through and are still very active.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I finished Sin and Punishment Star Successor. Saw the secret ending. And man. How Kachi reveals her secret. It is one of the creepiest Nintendo plot-twists you will ever see. It's almost like a jump-scare but in plain daylight, in plain sight and you will be caught off-guard how it's done. This is easily the best "jump-scare" I have ever seen from any game. It is so damn creepy. Might even be the creepiest thing I've ever seen in a Nintendo game.

Just take a look if you have no plans to buy this game. This is so freaking creepy. Youtube link

I finished off Omega Ruby, great game as ever. Nothing like catching Pokerus out of nowhere at the start of the Delta Episode.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 for PSvita arrived yesterday, gonna play it when I have some time. I know absolutely nothing about it so I’m excited!

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I defeated the Elite 4 in Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu. Now I'm working on completing my Pokedex. I'm going to start playing Assassins Creed Odyssey this week as I bought it on sale at Black Friday. I would also like to start up Uncharted Lost Legacy here soon as well. I'm a HUGE fan of the Uncharted games.