• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Video Game are you currently playing?

Finally started the most iconic Zelda game, Ocarina of Time! It’s much more engaging than Link Between Worlds (the only other Zelda game I’ve tried), and although I’m still learning how it works, the fight system is very good too. I do know one rather important spoiler thanks to the Smash Bros Wiki, but everything else is a mystery to me, so I’m quite excited!

Also gonna report in on Final Fantasy XV. My sister and I are partway through Chapter 13 right now (sticking with Noctis’ POV and we’re probably gonna do the other one after we beat the game), and I can say that this is probably the game I’ve been the most emotionally invested in since I started gaming, just sniping the Trails series.

This game knows how to make you care for the four main characters during the first eight or so chapters so it can pull the trigger on the emotional bombshells at the end of chapter 9 and make the most impact. Lunafreya’s just died? Even if you didn’t care for her, you’ve most likely formed a bond with Noctis and seeing his reaction is heartbreaking. Your favourite is Ignis? He just went blind. Love Gladiolus? He’s angry at Noct for the entirety of Chapter 10. Took a liking to Prompto and adore how unflinchingly happy he is? I bet you can imagine how he feels about everyone’s lives falling apart. Found Ardyn kinda funny during the earlier chapters? Now you want to punch him in the face until he’s gone blue and black. Chapter 9’s end sets the tone for the rest of the story, and while a few may not agree with how it’s done, I personally love it, although it’s in an “I’m crying my eyes out over these people” sort of way.

But then it keeps on delivering with how the world slowly gets worse, and how the hope starts draining from the main characters. The nights get longer and longer until day doesn’t exist, Noctis ends up pushing Prompto off a train because Ardyn MANIPULATES FREAKIN TIME to make the illusion of him and Prompto swapping places, the daemons are revealed to be mutated humans, and that’s not even mentioning Chapter 13 itself. While I disagree with using jumpscares so frequently, the game manages to deliver with a huge sense of unease, as Noctis is stuck in an abandoned keep, while Ardyn keeps mercilessly teasing Noct while revealing things to slowly break him apart. And that’s not even mentioning that Ardyn said Prompto has a secret (I don’t know what that secret is yet, but my sister theorises that Ardyn and Prompto are connected in some way) which is bound to be full of my sister and I crying. I know that bleak and dark games like this aren’t always for everyone, but this is probably the darkest game I’ve played and I’m having fun, even if it’s a strange kind of fun.

In case you don’t like spoilers I’ll give the watered down version: this game is dark, but gives you so much emotional investment in the characters that all the bad stuff doesn’t leave you in apathy. So yeah, I really can’t wait to get to the end of this game!

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Playing Dark Souls: Remastered. Trophy hunting.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Splatoon 2. I won my second turf war last night which felt nice considering I’m usually on the team that loses.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I just finished Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I gotta say...I actually liked it. It didn't quite feel like a Mass Effect game, but had Mass Effect characters in it. It doesn't feel fair to compare this one game to the entirety of 3 other games. It was the start of a theoretical trilogy and should've been judged as such. The game was still a bit buggy, with some mission objectives just not becoming visible until you're right on top of it, and sometimes the mission objective is literally beneath you...as in, you're standing on top of a cave and don't know it and the objective is inside the cave, but due to how the map works, you don't know that there's a cave to begin with (think: top-down map). The characters felt like the start of something interesting, as characters introduced in the first part of a trilogy often are. I didn't experience any of the Exorcist-style head spinning in my run, but I did fall through the map a couple times. I liked the main story for what it was: a desperate race to find food and water before everyone dies, and the side missions ranged from blah to okay. Nothing got me all teary-eyed, but the movie night mission conclusion was pretty great. The main villain could've been great (going against the higher-up's orders? Believing that he's doing a greater good? Seems to try to establish a rivalry with Ryder?), but ends up coming up as sorta generic and forgettable. A good way to describe him is "starter villain." I played 71 hours and completed 92% of the game. All in all, I think it was a good game, and I do suspect that some of the hate it got was from leftover fan rage of Mass Effect 3's ending, it not being an entire trilogy by itself, and the usual "it's popular, so I hope it fails" mentality, though I also believe that some of the hate for it is justifiable (it is still buggy, the voice-acting isn't winning any awards anytime soon, and nothing was really stellar about it).

Oh, and I also made my male Ryder look like some sort of weird Jake Gyllenhaal/Paul Rudd hybrid and I'm so proud of that.

I also just finished my 3 hours of the new Octopath Traveler demo. I started with the thief, went to the apothecary, and then to the huntress, though my 3 hours was up just as I recruited her, so I didn't technically play as her. The music is REALLY good and the graphics look sweet. If I wasn't rushed for time, I would've easily spent my 3 hours with just the thief. He's so deadpan, it takes what would otherwise sound like terrible voice-acting, and pushes it straight into "so snarky, it's cool" territory. Figuring out enemy weaknesses was fun, and I fell back into routine with the BP system, thanks to the Bravely series. A note: it doesn't seem like you can spend BP to cast multiple spells; rather, it just amplifies your one spell's damage output. That's different from how weapons work, so I don't know why it was implemented that way. This is definitely a game I'll get as soon as it comes out.

I wanted to rent out Detroit: Become Human today, but it was out of stock at the store. I'm on the fence about Vampyr. I want to try out Mario Tennis Aces (I missed the tournament). Until I can rent something good out, I guess it's back to Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (a dirt cheap and heavily watered down version of Disgaea).

Yesterday my sister and I reached the moment before the final boss fight in FFXV, but we decided to do a few more sidequests before we pull the trigger. We’re not gonna tackle the whole list or anything, just get a few more levels over the next boss fight.

I am in love with this game. Enough said.

But damnnn, for being asleep for ten years Noct looks good. Actually, after ten years of no sunlight, just about all of the main characters look good. It’s only a nitpick but yeah.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
So, I've been participating in the Kulve Taroth siege event in Monster Hunter: World. For non-hunters, it's 4 teams of 4 players going up against a large elder dragon named Kulve Taroth in an area (Caverns of El Dorado) that are inaccessible except during this event. The point is to break off her crest, the crystallized gold that covers her back, and then her horns. At which point she runs away and the quest ends.

Note that I said teams.

I was up to pursuit level 6 (the highest level) and joined someone else's quest to go after her for the last time. They and me teleported to the area, with the expectation that other players would join us. It wasn't the first time just two have gone in to start and then others have joined in. So we got to the area, I jump down and start chasing Kulve Taroth...

...and it isn't until I'm already in combat with her that I realize the other guy had withdrawn immediately after the cutscene, leaving me alone against a boss that is not meant for solo fights.

I was already in too deep to back out, and I didn't know if I would lose my chance at the top-tier rewards or not. So I continued. Two other players started to join, but then pulled out again, so it was just me and my palico against a boss meant for team fights. I chased Kulve Taroth through the tunnels to the first arena, ran in and shot at her until she chased me, then backed off while still shooting until she stopped and turned back. Continued until I wore her down enough that she went down to the second area, a room full of lava pools. Continued shooting and backing off, went through almost all my ammo till I got to the sleep ammo. Didn't even noticed I'd run out of piercing and started using sleep until the battle music stopped and she started stumbling. Ducked around her while she was staggering, planted two mega barrel bombs in her face when she collapsed, and blew her crest off. Got a 2% golden glimstone jewel from carving it.

The fight continued. She finally fainted me for the first time (players get three faints. third faint is a fail) with her fire breath, so once I got back to base camp I restocked on ammo and headed back down. Was running through the shortcut to the first arena when I got the message that she escaped. Damn dragon decided to run away.

The part that pisses me off the most is the first guy withdrawing immediately, and then the other two starting to join but withdrawing. Kulve Taroth is meant to be fought in teams and she is damn hard to fight even with a team; there's no guarantee of success. But they left me alone to fight her.

Screw online gaming. People are crap.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Fallout New Vegas with mods. Soon, I will play 3 and then 4 with all mods.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Played some Salt and Sanctuary today. Hoping to play some Pokemon tonight.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Bit of Slime Rancher today in order to pop the Party Gordo and see what ornaments it had for me, and wish those twits at Monomi Park would fix the slime despawn bug.

Then back to Monster Hunter: World for some farming. Answered an SOS for a quest with normal pukei-pukei and tempered tobi-kadachi and anjanath. Apparently I was the only one who wanted to help that player, since it was just them and me and our palicos. Also farmed Xeno'jiiva and managed to get two gems from him (something like a 2% drop chance each). One of those times we actually failed the quest but because we'd broken his head I still got the gem in the extra rewards.

Think I'm becoming a bowgun main... I started with dual blades and I have a full-upgraded set of Kadachi Claws III (thunder element) but I find myself using my Karma bowgun very frequently.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It's not something I'm playing but I've been watching too many Mario Tennis Aces Tournament Videos... the competitive scene is strangely intense and addicting. So far. Definitely makes my Top 5 Fighting Games list.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Apparently I was having a very good day in Monster Hunter. Was farming Nergigante for parts to finish making the Dying Light switchaxe and got a gem from the body carve on the first run. Two runs later, I got another gem from the gold reward when we finished the quest.

Decided to try to farm decorations so I posted an investigation for a tempered bazelgeuse. First run: bazelgeuse gem. After finishing the three runs at tempered bazelgeuse I joined someone else's quest to hunt dodogama and lavasioth in Elder's Recess and got a wyvern gem in the rewards.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Decided to purchase Stellaris on the Steam summer sale since it had a great discount. I've spent most of the day playing the game and man was it a lot of information to take in. I'm a big fan of RTS systems so I'm hoping this will keep me entertained for a long time.

Chiaki Bunny

Get In The Bag, Nebby!
- Pokémon Platinum, HeartGold, and Ultra Moon
- Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
- Persona 5
- Final Fantasy XIII

...I have no life. :oops:

TheGiftedFlareon

Tactician's Gambit
After a long due recommendation from a friend, I've finally begun playing Minish Cap. It's great so far, the Kinstones are gonna be fun when I finish everything in the game plot-wise first.