• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was it like capturing your first Pokemon?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
CvGPxJ4.jpg

Wally, a frail boy with an illness who dreams of being a Pokemon trainer gets emotional from catching his very first Pokemon. Pokemon Adventures Ruby & Sapphire

So what was it like catching your very first Pokemon! I'd imagine it's nowhere as emotionally happy as Wally's reaction above lol but I'll take a guess that for a lot of people who were young kids, you guys got excited or joyful over catching your first Pokemon. Also it doesn't have to apply to the very first Pokemon you caught in your lifetime, it could be by generation or games but starter Pokemon don't count as they are more like gift or received Pokemon and in the end can't be caught unless you count Let's Go.

shoz999

I don't even remember what I caught or how I acted with my first capture as it was 20 years ago lol.
The very first Pokemon I caught, from memory, was a Rattata. A super special Rattata. I thought it was the coolest thing until I found something better... a Ledyba lol. I was like in 1st grade when I was playing Crystal.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
“Let’s scream at 10 @ night while everyone else is sleeping then mash buttons like your older brother does” me encountering a Starly in Diamond. I still can imagine my mom being annoyed after realizing my screams weren’t me being attacked but from a bird

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I don't even remember, likely nothing because back in those days I only used my starter on my team.

shoz999

I don't even remember, likely nothing because back in those days I only used my starter on my team.
I'm noticing an interesting possible trend here. Did most of us started out Pokemon in our early childhood? Nine, eight, seven years old that we can't quite remember?

Last edited:

Orphalesion

Yup early childhood here as well, so I neither know what it was nor how I felt.

I do however remember my first evolution; Caterpie into Metapod and I was distressed because in Red/Blue Metapods evolving from Caterpies didn't learn Harden, no matter what the guide book says, so I was worried it wouldn't learn any new moves as Butterfree either.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Can’t remember as I started playing Pokémon fairly early in my life (around primary school), was also guilty of relying heavily on my starter at the expense of my other team-mates.

Mhov

The first Pokemon I ever caught was a Hoothoot in Silver. It was my first Pokemon game so the whole start was exciting, but not more than other moments in those first few hours.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I don't really remember since it was literally like 20 years ago but I doubt it was all that special. The show was airing at that point so I was probably just used to the idea of catching things.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The first Pokemon I caught was a Pidgey in FireRed, and I raised it all the way to Pidgeot, although it sadly never was that good in battle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Honestly, it was awesome. My first capture in Red version was Poppo (Pidgey), and I recall being excited when the Monster Ball shook a few times and then finally stood still. It was a great moment.