1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What was the biggest "wtf" moments in the anime for you?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Sham

Sham Smile

Mine personally is when May attempted to catch Munchlax only for him to eat it, the fact they went out of their way to kill off Hunter J, Ash getting Meltan and Dragonite and when Nihilego dragged Lusamine away only for the credits to end. Theres probably more but that's the most I can think of.

2. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Had it not been spoiled days in advance it probably would have been Ash's Alolan League victory

Aside from that Ash catching Dragonite would be my recent pick

3. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ In the name of the Moon

Serena kissing Ash and amourshipping in general

Ash's Squirtle ruled as unable to battle when it was put to sleep
    When Lillie was almost kidnapped by Nihilego when she was younger.

4. TokoyamiTheDark

TokoyamiTheDark The Purple Karakasa

Pikachu defeating Brock's Onix with an Electric-type attack or Pirate Trainer's Golem in the 1st movie with Thunder. These moves should have no effect in the games! Oh, but they replaced Golem with a Drowzee in the 3D remake, so now it makes much more sense.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

Satoshi apparently forgetting that Normal-type and Fighting-type attacks are ineffective against Ghost-types in AG when he battled Kikuko's Gangar and Jindai's Samayouru, respectively. That's the kind of mistake that BW era Satoshi would make, not AG era Satoshi.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  6. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army

Well there’s the Ash using the Poké Dex on a Charmander in Unova and it literally told him info that he already knew, everyone in the anime forgetting that Ash’s Primeape And Noctowl exist, And the biggest one of all is none other than Ash losing the Unova League to a Lucario that went Super Saiyan that belonged to a complete moron so stupid that even a literal rock is more intelligent! Movie wise it has to be Pokémon: I Choose You putting all this emphasis and importance of Ho-oh and its Rainbow Wing And it’s this big deal only for the a Legendary to show up for less than five minutes. That made me furious. The trailers made it seem like Ho-oh would be the main focus. If Marshadow was going to be the Pokémon the main conflict centered on then why would you keep having everyone who saw the Rainbow Wing in Ash’s hands say how special it was and that he’ll meet Ho-oh if the big fighting sequence wasn’t going to feature it at all?!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  7. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: A Hangry Return

Thunder Armor, of course

Every Ash League loss but Johto, mainly Ritchie and Tobias

The Rowlet fakeout

Ubermuk likes this.
  8. Nodqfan

Nodqfan Well-Known Member

Here are three of the biggest WTF Moments from the anime to me

1. The one guy who tries to use a Master Ball on a Whiscash.

2. Also Swellow/Pikachu Thunder Armor

3. While I somewhat enjoyed this moment Ash turning into a Pikachu briefly and maintaining his human-like eyes was strange to me.

9. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

When did Ash turn into a Pikachu? o.o

NeedsAName and Ubermuk like this.
  10. Nodqfan

Nodqfan Well-Known Member

It happens at the end of the episode titled Hocus Pokemon and he returns to normal at the beginning of As Clear As Crystal.

11. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I agree about the loss against Hiroshi being a strange situation since Satoshi's Lizardon should've been allowed to continue battling since it wasn't actually defeated in battle, but Takuto winning against Satoshi seemed justified since his team was shown to be stronger than Satoshi's, and we had gotten foreshadowing about Takuto's impeccable skill level several episodes prior to that battle.

12. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 Phones

The entirety of season 1 (in a good way), Thunder Armor, That one twinleaf festival where they become Ash/Dawn/Brock/Barry and relive some important moments they had with their pokemon (in a good way), Tobias' very existence, Ash vs Elesa, the TRio's Jojo faces in the Alola starter trio episode (in a good way), The entire baseball episode (in a good way), Ash's attitude in SM24/77/98, Necrozma vs Solgaleo/Lunala's animation, The Alola league's format, The Rowlet fakeout

13. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Cameron thinking a full battle is 5 pokemon. He is a waste of a perfectly good seiyuu.

Spider-Phoenix, catzeye and Leonhart like this.
  14. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Standby for Battle!

Ash's Charizard losing to Brandon's Dusclops

The biggest powerhouse Ash had OS-BW,most legitimate training.How do you go from beating the likes of Clair's Dragonair,half of Gary's team plus his Blastoise and outlasting an Articuno.......to this?

BabaVanga and mehmeh1 like this.
  15. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

In a good way -
    Ash catching dragonite
    Ash defeating tapu koko and kukui with the kamehameha pose
    Ash winning the alola league
    Mallows mother story
    The trilogy of movies
    The way team flare arc played out
    Hunter J and her death

In a bad way
    That whiscash masterball stupid thing
    Thunder Armor
    Losing to Cameron and the context
    Ash losing to Alain
    Team aqua/magma plots
    Team plasma plots

16. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

It was mostly Satoshi's fault that Lizardon lost since as I said before, he inexplicitly forgot that Fighting-type moves don't work on Ghost-types. Had he not made that rather out of character mistake when he ordered Lizardon to use Seismic Toss, he probably would've won.

17. BabaVanga

BabaVanga Well-Known Member

Alain defeating multiple Mega Evolved Pokémon, including Malva's Mega Houndoom, in a row.

Ash-Greninja giving Diantha's Gardevoir a run for her money.

18. pancakemonster

pancakemonster Yes, Lana is still best girl in 2020

I didn't experience this personally at the time, but when I heard how Team Rocket's characters had changed in the Black and White anime, I was really surprised and spent a lot of time on Bulbapedia reading up on events (I hadn't really seen any of the show since mid-Sinnoh). I couldn't believe they weren't blasting off anymore, or that they'd had those black uniforms, or that Wobuffet of all Pokemon got left behind.

A couple years later, I stumbled on one of the XY openings at random, and seeing them in-character, with Wobbufet in tow, getting blasted by Pikachu, made me feel that all was right with the world again.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  19. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: A Hangry Return

Oh and thay weird moment in the TF arc where Ash and his pokémon were held in floating spheres like they were being crucified

catzeye, BabaVanga and mehmeh1 like this.
  20. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Same I remember WANTING this big 'who's laughing now?' moment for Team Rocket where they were allowed to upgrade and make the twerps take them seriously (don't we for all pitiful bad guys?) but never expected it to happen proper, and their personalities changing was very left field. Definitely played into BW seeming to have this more 'epic' feel at the start that something key had changed.

I was glad when they went into sort of the compromise era in late BW/early XY, being comical again but still forcing proper fights from the twerps instead of interchangeable one sided beatings, shame that didn't last though, would have made that change up remain a key moment in the show.

Seriously though, a lot of SM's trend breaking felt big though. Ash winning a league AND the exhibition match, mythicals going to his, Lillie, and Mallow's teams, Team Rocket fainting Ash's Pokemon, EVERYONE getting the main series gimmick, Misty, Brock and Jigglypuff returning, and just the overall unpredictability in storytelling. Not to mention how damn succinctly played nearly all of it was.

Melmetal vs Silvally felt like something that wouldn't have happened ever in earlier series, an 'Olympus mon' battle between two key characters. Really felt like the development cap had been raised a good deal by then.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020