• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was the biggest "wtf" moments in the anime for you?

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
Probably in a good way. It was the first time on the Pokémon Anime when a Pokémon is like a tradicional cartoon with 2 segments of 10 minutes. Also the episode is placed between 2 huge episodes, it's fine some variety with a full comedy oriented episode.
Humour is very subjective, though. As much as I enjoyed the Magikarp part of the episode better than I anticipated, for the Slowpoke part all I can say is repeating the same joke for ten minutes only ought to make it funnier for Japanese people, I guess.

Sham

The Guardian of War
It was much more because the writers simply were just so awful at writing the majority of BW. Decolore Islands was simply the biggest waste of episodes ever in the anime.
They rushed the series quickly; the same thing happened with AG. The only difference is circumstance and how they had a more superior post game and REMAKE to back them up

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
They rushed the series quickly; the same thing happened with AG. The only difference is circumstance and how they had a more superior post game and REMAKE to back them up
At least the Hoenn part was interesting from beginning to end, and the female companion wasn't annoying (despite the fact it was during a time people were dealing with Misty leaving).

Leonhart

Imagineer
U.N. Owen said:
Whenever real life things like real cities or real fish actually appear or are mentioned. I'm so used to this fantasy world that I double take whenever I see them in the OS.

I don't remember real-life cities appearing in the anime other than New York City [or a place that looked a lot like it at least] in the opening of one of the movies, but I do remember seeing real-life fish at the Hanada Gym.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Whenever real life things like real cities or real fish actually appear or are mentioned. I'm so used to this fantasy world that I double take whenever I see them in the OS.

The fish thing was because there were hardly any fish Pokemon in the 1st generation. So I guess they figured that they'd be better off showing real fish than showing a bunch of Goldeen and Magikarp. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
RafaSceptile said:
Acapulco on EP018, Beauty and the Beach

In the dub perhaps, but in the Japanese version it was called Aopulco. The location was clearly inspired by the real Acapulco, but it's not quite the same. This applies to "Hollywood" from EP070 as well, which is spelled differently in the Japanese version [Horiwood] to distinguish it from the real-world Hollywood.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
British is the collective term for English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish. It's a mistake a lot of people make, referring to British as being only representative of England and not inclusive of the others.

And it immediately turns tense when you call a Scot an Englishman. In my country, the common term we use for Britain is "Engeland". Officially it's the Verenigd Koninkrijk, but kids pretty much don't learn the difference until they're well into secondary school - and thus "Engeland" sticks and they translate it to England, so anybody from Britain suddenly is 'English'. Most people don't even know that Wales exists or that Northern Ireland isn't just the northern region of Ireland, but part of the UK.

They had the PWT - which they did nothing with except the "Junior Cup". They could've done so much more with that format. Like pretty much what Journeys is doing now.

In the dub perhaps, but in the Japanese version it was called Aopulco. The location was clearly inspired by the real Acapulco, but it's not quite the same. This applies to "Hollywood" from EP070 as well, which is spelled differently in the Japanese version [Horiwood] to distinguish it from the real-world Hollywood.

Isn't Horiwood pronounced exactly like Hollywood, kinda like how Luffy is sometimes pronounced as Ruffy and Zoro and Zolo all get jumbled up?

LucasMV

Some wtf moments for me where:

-Greninja losing to Alain's Charizard. I was up watching it live, 6 am, sure as hell that all the build up and hype wasn't gonna be in vain. I'm sure the fact that some writters themselves were dissapointed means that Ash was supposed to win but they had to force a loss on him cause they weren't ready to let him win. Fortunately that changed in Alola, but still. WTF.

-The Magikarp/Slowking episode from the current series. Most random episode ever, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

-Ash ordering Charizard to use Seismic Toss against Dusclops. More like a "face palm" moment, but still, wtf Ash.

-Cameron using only 5 pokemon at the Unova Pokemon League cause he FORGOT one and still WINNING against Ash. What the F?

-Tobias coming out of nowhere with 2 legendaries at the Sinnoh league.

-Go catching a ton of pokemon without battling during the first couple of episodes of this series. Luckily they've stopped doing that so much and he actually fights/befriends a good part of them before catching them now.

-Mr Mime being used all of a sudden and being a badass. Not a bad WTF though, but still.

-Pikachu losing to Trip's Snivy. I know, he didn't have his electric attacks. Still, that already set the tone for what was the worst series in Pokemon, imo.

Don't you sass on the one team member who meant to swipe Elesa's team by itself.

That's one of the WTF moments I had with the anime for sure. The whole episode felt so out of character for Ash. Never once had he tried to beat an entire gym with a single pokemon before, much less have only 1 pokemon at hand at a time for no reason and overthinking simple decisions. That episode is the embodiment of most of what's wrong with BW.

I enjoyed BW for mostly it’s humor. I think besides OS it had the best humor and cast chemistry.

As for cast chemistry, I think Sun and Moon did a very good job. I didn't enjoy some of the humor in BW because it was based around Ash being treated like a child by a Misty rip-off. Of course, that's the least of the problems BW had imo. The way they portrayed Ash, almost hitting the reset button to then realizing they had made a mistake and bring back a lot of characters to try to make up for it. The only thing I was interested in that series was the new TR plot, and the fight against Team Plasma, but then that got cancelled and everything went downhill. That series had potential if they didn't make Ash stupid and actually develop the plot points they seemed to had in mind. But in the end, it was a completely forgettable mess.

Redbird

The Samurai putting a sword in Ash's face when he was trying to catch a Weedle and then blaming Ash for letting it escape.

Ash leaving his strongest Pokémon behind when the writers decide they become too OP, such as Pidgeot (just after evolving), or Charizard and Primeape (after they starting obeying Ash).

Ash getting cried back to life in the first movie.

The fact that Tauros, Kingler and Muk, which Ash had left with Oak since catching and had never bothered retrieving, kicked more ass during the League battles than his active team members. So much for all the talk about trainers having to actually train their Pokémon.

The Ash vs Ritchie battle. They hyped it up as the greatest battle of Ash's life, only for Ash to get kidnapped by Team Rocket and have to to spend most of the episode trying to escape. Then when he finally made it to the arena, his Pokémon were exhausted from fighting TR and helping him escape, yet he never bothered saying this and asking if the match could be postponed. So when the battle finally took place, his Squirtle and Pikachu were quickly taken out, forcing him to send Charizard, who decided to take a nap when facing Ritchie's Pikachu, causing Ash to lose. Talk about an anti-climactic, unfair battle. Made worse by Misty and Oak putting all the blame on Ash afterwards.

Ash-Greninja. Just Ash-Greninja.

Last edited:

Applecorp

-Greninja losing to Alain's Charizard. I was up watching it live, 6 am, sure as hell that all the build up and hype wasn't gonna be in vain. I'm sure the fact that some writters themselves were dissapointed means that Ash was supposed to win but they had to force a loss on him cause they weren't ready to let him win. Fortunately that changed in Alola, but still. WTF.

That sounds like a case of you expecting way too much more than it being an actual wtf moment. Alot of people let the hype get to them even though there was never a promise of Ash winning that battle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I always thought that the Kalos League [in particular Satoshi versus Alain] was an over-hyped disaster in terms of both pacing and structure. Aside from my earlier complaints about several rounds being cut short or not shown at all, the fact that there was so much fan emphasis on Satoshi winning when the pattern up until that point showed that he wouldn't win still vexes me. As for the title, nothing about it guaranteed that Satoshi would win, no matter how many times it gets dissected and twisted to fit that narrative.

Jeal

I always thought that the Kalos League [in particular Satoshi versus Alain] was an over-hyped disaster in terms of both pacing and structure. Aside from my earlier complaints about several rounds being cut short or not shown at all, the fact that there was so much fan emphasis on Satoshi winning when the pattern up until that point showed that he wouldn't win still vexes me. As for the title, nothing about it guaranteed that Satoshi would win, no matter how many times it gets dissected and twisted to fit that narrative.
"Victory" and "Ash's Ultimate Match" in the same title. It was obvious what they were going for.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
It's called Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!

I like how you're completely ignoring the fact that the title is separated into two parts meaning that it wasn't supposed to be confirmation that Ash would win. At most it was a hint that Ash could win but people acted like the title was something like 'Ash's Kalos League Victory!' when it wasn't...