• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was the biggest "wtf" moments in the anime for you?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
One of the biggest wtf's for me was when Brocks parent reminisced of their first battle:
"When you hurled your Pokeball, I thought he's the guy. And the the way you commanded graveler, it gave me goosebumps..."
I'm pretty sure those are euphemisms for something else, not their first "battle" that's just how they described it in front of the kids

Luthor

One of the biggest wtf's for me was when Brocks parent reminisced of their first battle:
"When you hurled your Pokeball, I thought he's the guy. And the the way you commanded graveler, it gave me goosebumps..."

That is weird but just remember this line managed to make it through

Bonnie (talking about her brother trying to put off COTD) "you know what else he likes to take off his shirt and wrap himself in an Arbok"

Lilia "that's so nice an Arbok can be so cozy and warm."

these are actual lines used in the pokemon anime. I have no idea how that is possible

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
That is weird but just remember this line managed to make it through

Bonnie (talking about her brother trying to put off COTD) "you know what else he likes to take off his shirt and wrap himself in an Arbok"

Lilia "that's so nice an Arbok can be so cozy and warm."

these are actual lines used in the pokemon anime. I have no idea how that is possible
And then we got to see Clemont being wrapped by Arbok

SerenaRulez

The time Leech Seed completely immobilized Venonat really confused me as it doesn’t even do anything similar to that in the games. I get that vines were wrapped around Venonat’s body but there were huge gaps large enough for its feet to poke on through and move. Even it’s hands had enough room to wriggle out.

I liked moments like that from the Kanto series where the writing team would use attacks from the games in a creative way that cannot be copied in the games. :)

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
I liked moments like that from the Kanto series where the writing team would use attacks from the games in a creative way that cannot be copied in the games. :)

I generally appreciate it when the writers try to make certain moves seem stronger in the anime than in the games, although Seismic Toss in OS was one of the exceptions. I thought that Lizardon using it when he fought Boober was one of the most silly battle ending scenarios that we'd seen up to that point. Just the way it was choreographed irked me.

MrJechgo

Let's see...
  1. Ash and co. NEVER recognizing Jessie and James, despite having their signature hairstyles being visible.
  2. How long the battles are in the anime, but are done in less than a minute in the games :p
  3. Some type inconsistencies, such as Bulbasaur not defeating a Golem with Vine Whip (hence dealing 4x damage) or Pikachu defeating 3 Rock/Ground Pokémon.
  4. Some leveling inconsistencies, such as Charmander knowing Flamethrower from the start... y'know as a lvl. 38 move o_O
  5. Several dumb decisions by Ash, such as fighting a Pokémon with one weaker to it, like Bulbasaur vs Farfetch'd or Snivy vs Emolga -_-;
  6. Other dumb decisions to release his powerful Pokémon, such as Pidgeot and Greninja.
  7. How leveling even work... Ash's Chikorita evolved to save him... but Cyndaquil took forever to do the same. His Krabby evolved into Kingler after ONE fight... so you mean to tell me that Ash somehow managed to catch a lvl. 27/28 Krabby WITHOUT a Pokémon and by simply throwing a ball???
  8. The biggest one is how come the English dub never corrected some of the episodes, such as removing the flashing lights in the Porygon episode and the guns in the Dratini episode. Hey, if they could change rice balls into donuts, pretty sure they change guns into other weapons.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MrJechgo said:
Let's see...
  1. Ash and co. NEVER recognizing Jessie and James, despite having their signature hairstyles being visible.

They have recognized them in disguise on a few occasions, EP014 being the most memorable case.

MrJechgo said:
The biggest one is how come the English dub never corrected some of the episodes, such as removing the flashing lights in the Porygon episode and the guns in the Dratini episode. Hey, if they could change rice balls into donuts, pretty sure they change guns into other weapons.

The Porygon episode not being aired isn't the dub's fault: the entire episode was banned in Japan, and they never sent it to 4Kids, so there was nothing for 4Kids to edit. As for the guns in the Safari Zone episode: 4Kids probably didn't have the technology back then to edit every single frame where the guns appeared. They didn't even start to digitally edit the rice balls until around 2005.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Let's see...
  2. How long the battles are in the anime, but are done in less than a minute in the games :p
  3. Some type inconsistencies, such as Bulbasaur not defeating a Golem with Vine Whip (hence dealing 4x damage) or Pikachu defeating 3 Rock/Ground Pokémon.
  4. Some leveling inconsistencies, such as Charmander knowing Flamethrower from the start... y'know as a lvl. 38 move o_O
  5. Several dumb decisions by Ash, such as fighting a Pokémon with one weaker to it, like Bulbasaur vs Farfetch'd or Snivy vs Emolga -_-;
  6. Other dumb decisions to release his powerful Pokémon, such as Pidgeot and Greninja.
  7. How leveling even work... Ash's Chikorita evolved to save him... but Cyndaquil took forever to do the same. His Krabby evolved into Kingler after ONE fight... so you mean to tell me that Ash somehow managed to catch a lvl. 27/28 Krabby WITHOUT a Pokémon and by simply throwing a ball???
  8. The biggest one is how come the English dub never corrected some of the episodes, such as removing the flashing lights in the Porygon episode and the guns in the Dratini episode. Hey, if they could change rice balls into donuts, pretty sure they change guns into other weapons.

1. Pretty sure they did a couple times.
2. Well yeah that's because battles in the show are like real life fights. Most of the battles are between equals any ways so there's rarely any 1-hit KO moments.
3. Yeah type advantages and immunities are hardly consistent but that's only a problem if you're judging everything that the show does based on game logic.
4. Levels stopped existing in the show after like the first 15 episodes. Every other mention of levels after that point was dub stuff only iirc.
5. Yeah Ash isn't known for sticking to game logic so he sometimes uses Pokemon that don't have an advantage.
6. Whoa wait a minute on what planet was Pidgeot strong? Most of his wins were against TRio's weak Pokemon, at a couple of gyms or against wild Pokemon.
7. Again levels stopped existing early in the series so using game levels to determine when Pokemon in the show should've evolved is flawed.
8. It's hard to remove flashing lights from an episode that they never had to start with.

MrJechgo

6. Whoa wait a minute on what planet was Pidgeot strong? Most of his wins were against TRio's weak Pokemon, at a couple of gyms or against wild Pokemon.
His Pidgeotto just evolved into Pidgeot to fight off a Fearow near Pallet Town... What does he do? Release it to protect the other Pidgeys... and when he ever gets back tp Pallet Town, he doesn't check on it or try to get it back.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MrJechgo said:
His Pidgeotto just evolved into Pidgeot to fight off a Fearow near Pallet Town... What does he do? Release it to protect the other Pidgeys... and when he ever gets back tp Pallet Town, he doesn't check on it or try to get it back.

To be fair, that Onidrill probably wasn't very strong. It was wild and if Satoshi's Lizardon had been obedient, he probably could've taken it out in a single move. Pigeot only beat it because the writers clearly wanted his final episode to include a victory for him. But I'm still a little irked by the fact that Satoshi released his Pigeot right after it evolved.

RetroPokeFan

The entirety of "The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Barrierd".

I know I said I didn't hate this episode at first but having recently rewatched it, Jesus I really do hate it now, it's gonna be right up there in the worst Journeys episode list. Obviously Pikachu acting OOC was bad enough but the thing that utterly kills this bird dead with two stones is that Ash is a brain-dead idiot... like so utterly thick for not even bothering to let Pikachu train with Riolu. And it's even worse because the last episode had... you guessed it... Pikachu helping Riolu out with training so it makes him look like a total farce of a trainer you wouldn't want to hang out with or root for and I can't even blame Pikachu for this. If anything, I bet Riolu must have been just as confused as we are watching these events.

And the cherry on top of this ****-cake is that apparently according to Koharu, Ash doesn't understand Pikachu.

Lemme rephrase that again...

Ash Ketchum
doesn't understand Pikachu
the very first Pokemon he ever got and has been a true friend and partner
for many years

Do you realize how utterly stupid and frustrating this sounds? Look, I'm all for giving Koharu something to do as well but this was just silly beyond all belief and you gotta love the fact that this only contradicts the season itself and the episode where Ash said that Gou wasn't in sync with Scorbunny which only makes it more ironic.

The cute moments between Delia and Ash and Pikachu singing at the end were still as adorable as ever (I'm a sucker for these little Ash and Pikachu moments), it's just a crying shame that those moments are stuck in this utter, utter
embarrassment of an episode that feels like it was written by someone who just hates these characters and went out of their way to make them look bad.

It would have stung less had this been done in say, the XYZ series but rewatching it now makes me so sad and frustrated, and that's something you never want to feel when watching a Pokemon episode.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Scizor trainer knew you couldn't finish a Pokémon because that'd be murderer so he used a move that's meant to let the Pokémon live. Galaxy brain right there, people

I know I said I didn't hate this episode at first but having recently rewatched it, Jesus I really do hate it now, it's gonna be right up there in the worst Journeys episode list. Obviously Pikachu acting OOC was bad enough but the thing that utterly kills this bird dead with two stones is that Ash is a brain-dead idiot... like so utterly thick for not even bothering to let Pikachu train with Riolu. And it's even worse because the last episode had... you guessed it... Pikachu helping Riolu out with training so it makes him look like a total farce of a trainer you wouldn't want to hang out with or root for and I can't even blame Pikachu for this. If anything, I bet Riolu must have been just as confused as we are watching these events.

And the cherry on top of this ****-cake is that apparently according to Koharu, Ash doesn't understand Pikachu.

Ash Ketchum
for many years

Do you realize how utterly stupid and frustrating this sounds? Look, I'm all for giving Koharu something to do as well but this was just silly beyond all belief and you gotta love the fact that this only contradicts the season itself and the episode where Ash said that Gou wasn't in sync with Scorbunny which only makes it more ironic.

I've hated the episode ever since I watched. I used to rank the Elesa gym battle as the whole series' worst episode ever but this one from Journeys made me change my mind and figured I misjudged the Elesa one.

Sure the Nimbasa gym match was poorly written but not a complete disaster. Ash's and Pikachu's antics could even be justified. This Journeys' episode was so bad I could finally reason a good explanation for Ash's and Pikachu's behavior on the Nimbasa match.

This reluctant Pikachu episode is simply the worst and despite the precious Delia moments and Ash singing in the end, it's plain irritating.

As for Chloe, I think I can forgive her ignorance because simply put, she never bothered trying to be friends with Ash or get to know him better. So she just jumping to such an absurd conclusion is understandable.

The cute moments between Delia and Ash and Pikachu singing at the end were still as adorable as ever (I'm a sucker for these little Ash and Pikachu moments), it's just a crying shame that those moments are stuck in this utter, utter
embarrassment of an episode that feels like it was written by someone who just hates these characters and went out of their way to make them look bad.

Episode's been written by Reiko Yoshida. She did her debut with episode 1. She is a veteran writer but a quick look on her credits and she doesn't seem that used to shows like Pokémon.

I'd say she is pretty good and I'd blame direction on not getting her better guidance on how to set up the conflict. Or maybe give her more time to script.

It would have stung less had this been done in say, the XYZ series but rewatching it now makes me so sad and frustrated, and that's something you never want to feel when watching a Pokemon episode.

XY might not have been perfect but they'd never do an episode like that because Yajima knew it'd way too out of place to do it.

Pikachu got a very good make up for all the Greninja focus when he was the MVP on the Kalos Finals. I'd dare to say that if Metagross haven't hit Pikachu so badly, the mouse would have given haXzard a run for his money. Probably even make him weaker so Greninja could have won.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
What makes that line even funnier and ironic is that the dude with the Scizor (I think his name was Shingo) was supposed to be this massive genius trainer.

Like what kind of intelligent trainer orders False Swipe as a finishing move?

I might have to go back and watch the original version of that episode since the whole "finishing the battle" with False Swipe statement might've been dub-only. It's possible that False Swipe works differently in the anime compared to the games, too.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Ash Ketchum
for many years

I admire the fact that you were able to even rewatch that garbage excuse of an episode lol
I still say that it should have just been a "Mimey gets homesick and runs away" episode instead, it would have worked a lot better and Pikachu would have chased after him to get him to go back. This is the first time Mimey's been outside of Pallet Town without Delia, it's natural that he'd get homesick at some point

Applecorp

I might have to go back and watch the original version of that episode since the whole "finishing the battle" with False Swipe statement might've been dub-only. It's possible that False Swipe works differently in the anime compared to the games, too.

We only saw False Swipe used 1 time in the show so yeah maybe it's supposed to work like a regular attack instead of leaving 1 HP remaining. Plus does HP even exist in the show at this point?