• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was the biggest "wtf" moments in the anime for you?

neophenx

Pokemon Strategist
What is OG?
"OG" means something like "Original Generation." The first iteration, the beginning of the series. Gen 1 anime did have differences in the writing that western localization had trended with at the time, but my chief complaints with the OG series stems not from localization issues or the modern memes associated with it (i.e. Rice Ball is Jelly Donut), but from how terrible of a character Ash is down to the conceptual level.

Flashyspark

Yeah that was total bs. If it had happened in the Kanto series then I would give it a pass because Ash was a newb back then but by AG he knew better than to make amateur errors...

I think it was one of those heat of the moment kind of things where people make rash decisions because they're too focused on one thing and forget logic.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I think it was one of those heat of the moment kind of things where people make rash decisions because they're too focused on one thing and forget logic.

Eh I still think Ash was smarter than that in AG so it's hard to believe that he was just not thinking clearly because of adrenaline or whatever. But he's done more embarrassing things in later series...

RafaSceptile

I tried rewatching the gen 1 series again and literally rage quit. To everybody who says the Indigo League anime is the best... what is your standard of quality? The writing is BEYOND unbelievable and I'm not even talking about the localization issues. Ash starts out as a kid who GROWS UP in the Pokemon world and doesn't know the most basic of basic crap, like weakening Pokemon to catch them or what COMMON Pokemon like Pidgey and Spearow are capable of. The kid has Pokemon merch in his room and has trouble identifying Voltorb and Snorlax, WHICH HE HAS IN HIS ROOM. He spends time watching competitive battles on TV, showing he follows the competitive sport and can't get basic type matchups, taking on Brock with a butterfly, a bird and an electric mouse. This is a world where it is COMMONPLACE to send your ten-year-old into the wilderness, and this protagonist is incapable of making any good calls without handholding by a couple of tagalong characters who, by all logic, should have gotten sick of his crap after a week and ditched him.

Gen 1 Ash is a terrible protagonist who should have never been able to survive the start of his Pokemon journey. The fact he's as ignorant as he is, being a native of the Pokemon world, is unbelievable. Were it an Isekai scenario, his ignorance would have made sense, but that is not the case.

Gen 1 Ash was supossed to learn about the Pokémon World in the bad way, suffering in so many ways during his Journey and even being disquallified by his incompetence as a trainer (and by TRio fault). The Indigo League Anime is probably only one of the best in terms of filler episodes and that's it.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Gen 1 Ash was supossed to learn about the Pokémon World in the bad way, suffering in so many ways during his Journey and even being disquallified by his incompetence as a trainer (and by TRio fault). The Indigo League Anime is probably only one of the best in terms of filler episodes and that's it.
No, AG, DP( except between 7 and 8 th gym badge), BW( except DI), XY and PJ all have amazing fillers worth watching and not just Original. Only fillers that were boring, meh or bad were in Johto, SM and part of DP( due TR mostly) and Decolore Islands.

RafaSceptile

No, AG, DP( except between 7 and 8 th gym badge), BW( except DI), XY and PJ all have amazing fillers worth watching and not just Original. Only fillers that were boring, meh or bad were in Johto, SM and part of DP( due TR mostly) and Decolore Islands.

Not since most of Johto-XY filleres were the formulaic CotD with a problem, then the group helps it, then TRio appears and was defeated.

CMButch

Not since most of Johto-XY filleres were the formulaic CotD with a problem, then the group helps it, then TRio appears and was defeated.
This is same as in PJ fillers, some of SM fillers and Kanto fillers lol.
And formulaic =/= bad especially if those fillers have good battles and cute/funny stuff especially from TR.

RafaSceptile

This is same as in PJ fillers, some of SM fillers and Kanto fillers lol.
And formulaic =/= bad especially if those fillers have good battles and cute/funny stuff especially from TR.

Formulaic is already not a good start by a good filler episode...and Journeys has very few filler episodes.

CMButch

Formulaic is already not a good start by a good filler episode...and Journeys has very few filler episodes.
Again, being formulaic =/= bad episode, I already said. Go catching Pokemon doesn't mean it's not filler. Filler is nothing major happening. Go catching random Pokemon at start episode or it was like 10 seconds that we will get cameo later, still would constitute for a filler. And filler =/= bad episode.

RafaSceptile

Again, being formulaic =/= bad episode, I already said. Go catching Pokemon Pokemon doesn't mean it's not filler. Filler is nothing major happening. Go catching random Pokemon at start episode or it was like 10 seconds that we will get cameo later, still would constitute for a filler. And filler =/= bad episode.

I said to be formulaic is not a good start by a good filler episode, especially if we have good no formulaic filler episodes before. SM had 3 CotD during its first season, this number is less than some CotD in single episodes before. It showed how you can do good filler episodes without to be formulaic, which is Even better

CMButch

I said to be formulaic is not a good start by a good filler episode, especially if we have good no formulaic filler episodes before. SM had 3 CotD during its first season, this number is less than some CotD in single episodes before. It showed how you can do good filler episodes without to be formulaic, which is Even better
Yes, fillers without being formulaic and being formulaic can be good. Shocking...

CMButch

Yes, but the average non-formulaic episode is better than the average formulaic episode
Actually, it depends. If non formulaic episode doesn't have any good factors in it like good comedy or battle and formulaic has then formulaic episode is better. Same goes for vice versa.

RafaSceptile

Actually, it depends. If non formulaic episode doesn't have any good factors in it like good comedy or battle and formulaic has then formulaic episode is better. Same goes for vice versa.

The average formulaic episode doesn't have good battles, since it is mostly TRio Battles and episodes with new move/evolutions are above that average

CMButch

The average formulaic episode doesn't have good battles, since it is mostly TRio Battles and episodes with new move/evolutions are above that average
Implying that battles with TR are bad which is wrong especially in BW, XY and SM(Mimikyu mostly) . Not to mention in DP they were good because Jessie was more in contests so they knew what are they doing.

RafaSceptile

Implying that battles with TR are bad which is wrong especially in BW, XY and SM(Mimikyu mostly) . Not to mention in DP they were good because Jessie was more in contests so they knew what are they doing.

But Mimikyu's Battle episodes mostly are not filler episodes. Same with Jessie's Battles thanks to contests because it was her goal during DP.

CMButch

But Mimikyu's Battle episodes mostly are not filler episodes. Same with Jessie's Battles thanks to contests because it was her goal during DP.
Yeah, but I am just now talking about TR battles( no matter that they're fillers or not). TR in AG were meh in battles IIRC but they were funny. In DP they were annoying, but battles picked up pace.BF TR battles were good too.

RafaSceptile

Yeah, but I am just now talking about TR battles( no matter that they're fillers or not). TR in AG were meh in battles IIRC but they were funny. In DP they were annoying, but battles picked up pace.BF TR battles were good too.

I only find BW TR battles good, but they were super boring. I don't find AG-DP TR battles so good because Jessie was on contests and it was way more interesting. It could be similar with XY but Performance has no battles

CMButch

I only find BW TR battles good, but they were super boring. I don't find AG-DP TR battles so good because Jessie was on contests and it was way more interesting. It could be similar with XY but Performance has no battles
Well, I majorly judge them as how competent they are, which they picked up pace in BF/DP and BW skyrocketed. I am glad they retained their competence until present. ( even in PJ, I remember episode 3, Gengar episode where they did good against Ash IIRC), then in Pikachu episode.