• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was the point of giving Tierno Hitmontop and Politoed?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Nah. Tierno's choice of dancing is Hip-Hop, none of which the Oricorio forms specialize in. Oricorio would fit more in Serena's team as a Performer.

Hip-hop. Hitmontop. Similar words...wait, did he get a Hitmontop for the sake of a pun?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Nyter

Island Challenger
Raindrops, drop tops, He got a breakdancing Htitmontop...

Simple as that, they are some dancing themed Pokemon that he used to show he is a skilled trainer as well who has not than just two or three Pokemon (unlike Serena or Shauna).

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Honestly, I found his team to be quite consistent if you think of it as a Rain-team from 5th Gen. Especially considering that mostly due to Goodra, Rain was a common weather in the XY-series.

- Politoed to set the Rain with Drizzle.
- Ludicolo with either Swift Swim or Rain Dish for a sweeper or wall.
- Raichu with the 100% accurate Thunder.
- Blastoise with Rain Dish, might/should've Mega Evolved and used Rain and Mega Launcher-boosted Water Pulse.
- Hitmontop... Well, just for coverage in terms of looking at it from a Rain-team perspective. In doubles, it could've used Wide Guard to protect the teammate from a Discharge or Earthquake.

Hip-hop. Hitmontop. Similar words...wait, did he get a Hitmontop for the sake of a pun?

No, Hitmontop literally does the B-boy moves ingame.

Nyter

Island Challenger
No, Hitmontop literally does the B-boy moves ingame.

Yep, actually in the first PokePark video game, A Hitmontop can be seen performing Capoeira. First time I viewed Hitmontop as a dancer...

It is the way the games and anime want to portray the Pokemon.

Remember Ash's Buizel. It did that breakdancing move to put up a water shield to block Paul's Pokemon's attacks. Now, I viel Buizel as a windmill dancing Pokemon.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I feel Paul had Pokemon that never made it to the league. Maybe it was like how gamers catch tons of pokemon but don't always use them

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I feel Paul had Pokemon that never made it to the league. Maybe it was like how gamers catch tons of pokemon but don't always use them

Yeah but I think all of Paul's Pokémon had one onscreen battle each, at least

STICKTOPIA

They thought tierno would be an important/good character but it was a fail, which is why they made sawyer come into the show. That's my personal theory.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan

I'm sure he used pokemon like Weavile, Gliscor, Torterra in the earlier rounds off screen,he isn't known for keeping the same team, he's always rotating.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm sure he used pokemon like Weavile, Gliscor, Torterra in the earlier rounds off screen,he isn't known for keeping the same team, he's always rotating.

But more importantly to my OP question, Weavile, Gliscor, and Torterra battled onscreen before the league. Hitmontop and Politoed had zero onscreen battles

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
On the off set chance there was a last minute change with Tierno's direction and they needed him to have a full team, he'd already have one on stand by. That's my guess.

Doesn't make a whole ton of sense but really? How much of XYZ really made sense?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
They should have had a 5on5 in XY65 that took up the whole episode, not had TR in the ep, and still had Goodra evolve in that ep.

Shayuin

Banned
They thought tierno would be an important/good character but it was a fail, which is why they made sawyer come into the show. That's my personal theory.

They writers were responsible for his portrayal though, so if Tierno and his Pokemon didn't win anyone over, then the writers are chiefly to blame.

STICKTOPIA

They writers were responsible for his portrayal though, so if Tierno and his Pokemon didn't win anyone over, then the writers are chiefly to blame.
Yes they are to be blamed. That's just like how they tried to make Ash's rivalry with Trip be like it was with Paul but it was horrible.

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
To show that characters do things when the camera isn't on them.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Because they both were moveable type pokemon for what he was all about? I really couldn't care less about him or the other two to be honest with you. They felt like a waist of space on the show.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

That doesn't make sense because Sawyer debuted before Hitmontop and Politoed did.

Sawyer debuted in XY64, and Hitmontop and Politoed debuted in XY65. They already knew Sawyer existed and still gave Tierno Hitmontop and Politoed.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I suppose that Tierno's team seemed lacking to the writers, so they picked a few Pokemon for his team that would also suit his rhythm theme, which I think Nyorotono and Capoeira covered well.