• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was the point of giving Tierno Hitmontop and Politoed?

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
They literally did nothing. Do you think there were originally plans for Ash and Tierno to have a 6-on-6 at the league that were then scrapped?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
They literally did nothing. Do you think there were originally plans for Ash and Tierno to have a 6-on-6 at the league that were then scrapped?

to keep us guessing what pokemon he'll use in the league

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Just because we never see him use them in battle doesn't mean he doesn't use them at all. It just happens off-screen.

Spyro39

Hitmontop and Politoed were basically dancing Pokemon. They were on Tierno's team to represent his characteristic of dancing.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Hitmontop and Politoed were basically dancing Pokemon. They were on Tierno's team to represent his characteristic of dancing.

I bet if Oricorio was around in Gen VI half Tierno's team would be them

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
What was the point of giving Mairin Flabebe :confused:

What was the point of giving Misty Horsea, Starmie, and Goldeen? What was the point of giving Tracey Syther? What was the point of giving Brock Zubat? What was the point of giving Trevor Aerodactyl and Charizard X?

Characters get Pokemon they seldom or almost never use all the time.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Just because we never see him use them in battle doesn't mean he doesn't use them at all. It just happens off-screen.

I agree but I honestly can't think of another time they gave a rival Pokémon that didn't even have a single on screen battle

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

Yea although I never liked Tierno's whole dance themed team cuz it kind of limited which Pokemon he could catch. Not that I was a big fan of him in the first place, but I think Hitmontop and Politoed were very insipid choices for his team. :[

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Characters get Pokemon they seldom or almost never use all the time.

Name another time a rival with a battling goal had a Pokémon with 0 on screen battles.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
Yes although in Tierno's case, he had an extreme case of "using your Starter in 99% of battles" syndrome. He needed to use his dreg Pokemon more frequently.

And even thre his Pokemon had almost no victories onscreen aside from filler trainers and some of Sawyer's fall guys

Marianna

Yes although in Tierno's case, he had an extreme case of "using your Starter in 99% of battles" syndrome.

A tad ot but this brings back so much memories.. when the big one goes down I was screwed xD.
Anyways, it was probably to fit a dancer theme. Though I was surprised Politoed fit a hip hop theme.

Sprinter1988

The point was exactly the same as the time where a computer screen seen in the anime showed us that Gary Oak had an Alakazam, Houndoom, Fearow, Skarmory, Pinsir and Kingdra:
It was to make it clear that these guys have more pokemon than just the ones that you usually see them with.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The point was exactly the same as the time where a computer screen seen in the anime showed us that Gary Oak had an Alakazam, Houndoom, Fearow, Skarmory, Pinsir and Kingdra:
It was to make it clear that these guys have more pokemon than just the ones that you usually see them with.

Oh good point

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
To add variety to his team.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
To add variety to his team.

There's no point in variety if the Pokémon never get used.....

Also, Politoed doesn't add any type variety since he already has TWO other Water Pokémon

PokemonKnight

#1 Sylveon Fan
There's no point in variety if the Pokémon never get used.....

Also, Politoed doesn't add any type variety since he already has TWO other Water Pokémon

Good point.

I am not really sure, then. Probably just for the dancing theme.