• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was the point

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Before you judge this, this is not a Rioulu/ Lucario for Ash thread

Ever since Sinnoh began there were different points in the coarse of it which made references to Ash's ability with aura or some reference to aura in which Ash became involved. However when it came to the peak at the Iron Island arc, not only was there no mention to Ash's ability with aura, but no use at all when it came to Ash even accidental.

So I ask this, what was the point of even bringing up Ash's connection to aura within Sinnoh if it didn't even hold any remote significance or help at Iron Island which features Riley, who not only looks like a modern version of, but also has the same partner and adept aura abilities as Sir Aaron whom Ash has a similar aura to?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It was probably just loose continuity, proving the movies take place with the series, and so forth.

Some of you assumed the aura stuff was more important than it was, so you guys hyped yourself up for nothing.

Its continuity surrounding aura in the series, but I don't think it was ever intended for anything important.

water trainer

Knuckle Trainer
The writers do tend to wipe storylines i.e GS Ball,

But who knows, maybe they will explore it more in the filler saga, or maybe in the next generation if there is another aura type pokemon.

I don't really care about the whole aura thing, it seems to me that they are running out of character development for Ash.

PDL

disenchanted
It's just another thing that makes Ash seem so special. In addition to seeing Ho-oh at the start of his journey (which is supposed to indicate that he's some kind of chosen one), he's now about to use some kind of supernatural ability (which is rarely ever shown).

I'm willing to bet that it'll be dropped by the 5th generation and they bestow Ash with a new superpower.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
there are several possibilities that could attest to why Ash's aura wasn't elborated upon during the iron island arc, on one hand they simply could've neglected it due to now not being a good time to elaborate on such a thing, or maybe because they don't want Ash doing things that go against the norm of the show, after all it's not everyday you see someone using aura like riley in the anime and for Ash to do that would..well it would become repetitive quickly like everything else in this show and make Ash look like a superhuman which is something i don't think the writers want to do with him.

of course him not using aura isn't the only overhyped thing that's disapointed people, i wouldn't be suprised if a certain monkey and bird end up not evolving despite the "hype" they receive, and people get disapointed further.

pokefreak in qatar93

If he would use his arua power al the time or something it would turn into a diff. thing than pokemon + there has to be a connection between him and an arua pokemon like the riolu epii

~AussieWonder~

Yeah I see your point, but im not too beat up about it. Like PDL said, its just another thing that makes our hero more special and interesting, only choosing not to act upon this ability when it was most relevant is a bit of a kick in the back.

Anyway...you never know, I doubt the whole 'Aura' idea wont be going away, so I guess the writers could utilize it whenever they need to.

PDL

disenchanted
I guess the reason that Ash's aura powers isn't expanded upon is that they want to keep Ash relatable to the kids the show is targeted towards. They also probably don't want Ash's powers to overshadow the main purpose of the cartoons, the Pokémon.

shac

I must say I was kinda disappointed when they totally neglected Ash's aura ability in Iron island. It felt like chimchar's super blaze which should have been activated during the battle against Byron's steelix, but did not. What a waste of plot devices!

there are several possibilities that could attest to why Ash's aura wasn't elborated upon during the iron island arc, on one hand they simply could've neglected it due to now not being a good time to elaborate on such a thing, or maybe because they don't want Ash doing things that go against the norm of the show, after all it's not everyday you see someone using aura like riley in the anime and for Ash to do that would..well it would become repetitive quickly like everything else in this show and make Ash look like a superhuman which is something i don't think the writers want to do with him.

of course him not using aura isn't the only overhyped thing that's disapointed people, i wouldn't be suprised if a certain monkey and bird end up not evolving despite the "hype" they receive, and people get disapointed further.

Well I agree with you. Maybe they will show Ash using Aura in such way later in the anime. Well this type of Aura use is new in the anime (it is different from 8th movie). But if that becomes repetitive then only God could save TG.

soccerstar19

<--- Best Rival Ever
wasn't it brought up in the 1st episode of the iron island arc just a little bit of a reference?
U ppl are making it as it wasn't mentioned at all
Anyway on topic
I found it stupid that it wasn't brought up cause it really made a big deal bout it during the riolu eps. They might be saving it for the filler arc to be able to expand on the ability a bit and for a reason for him to open a space on the team. It's a possibilty Im not an auraholic just stating things that could back of the introduction of his aura powers

PokemonHero

I can see the future
It's hard to say. I wish they could've expanded upon the storyline, as I found it to be very interesting.

Actually, someone over on Bulbagarden gave a great theory to the significance of aura, and it does make some sense:

Lil Brother said:
The funny thing about Aura is that, with some tweaking, it can be used to fill in some loose ends.

It could explain why Ash seemed to "connect" with Corphish during his second battle with Anabel. That seemed pretty similar to the way he could sense and communicate with Riolu in these episodes. Maybe Anabel's communicate-with-nature abilities were because she had sensitivity to Aura? It would work pretty well considering literally everything is said to have an Aura, and Anabel could sense the feelings of things like plants and stuff like that.

As for the source of being in-tune with Aura, it seems to me like it was just something you’re born with. Perhaps it even has to due to the nature of a person, like an exceptionally kind-hearted and courageous person is destined to possess this sensitivity. Ash being chosen by destiny somehow would go along well with Ho-Oh presenting itself to him and him being the one to stop the destruction of the world. Maybe in a way it’s possible that Ash’s Aura powers are partially the source of all these amazing, off-the-wall things happening to him all the time. He’s “meant” to be there to save the day and witness extraordinary events.

Maybe it could even be the reason he seems able to understand Pikachu better than he should be able to at times. Just randomly speculating. Also just noticed that Aura and the Force are astonishingly similar. :eek:

Cobalt_Latios

I guess the reason that Ash's aura powers isn't expanded upon is that they want to keep Ash relatable to the kids the show is targeted towards. They also probably don't want Ash's powers to overshadow the main purpose of the cartoons, the Pokémon.
Also, wasn't aura something relatively recent. I mean, we only just discovered it in the 8th movie. Had it been there since day 1, then we'd be asking questions. Of course, at that point, very little was even told, mainly because of how basic the games were at the time.

He hasn't really been using aura all that much. Sure, he had that one connection with an "aura guardian" in The Keystone Pops, and the obvious Riolu incident in Pokemon Ranger and the Kidnapped Riolu, but aside from that, there hasn't really been that much (and maybe the fact that for once Ash is able to tell the name of a new attack before anyone else... "Aura Sphere"). There really isn't that many.

Sure, the place he was at and the events that occurred should have involved something like that. But your forgetting what show we watch. It's rarely consistent. And when it is, it don't last long.

*C_L*

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
This could be perhaps Ash didn't have any poke'mon to connect his aura to, and thereby it didn't mean much. Maybe the aura part will have a better role while battling Team Galactic(hopefully).

Mela

pasbl. newbie
They make Ash seem sooo big like with the aura and in the 2nd movie he was the 'Chosen One' but he's just a boy ya know!

Oh well maybe they'll bring it up in a future episode.

thunderblade12

It was probably just so that they could give Ash something epic to do in the 8th movie. They just carried it over to the anime to show the connection.

Ash having aura gave him a huge role in the 8th movie, it also gave him a huge role in the Riolu specal. Thats probably the only reason they even gave Ash aura.

Maybe to make him seem special too.

Squaaah

The episodes were meant to focus around Riley. If they'd had Ash use his aura on Iron Island it would have meant Riley taking a back seat. Plus with all the team galactic stuff going on it would have been squashed in.

I reckon Ash's Aura WILL play a bigger role eventually, but probably in an anime only episode (one that isnt based of a part of the game), or in the sinnoh climax on Mt Coronet.