• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was the reaction when you encountered your first shiny?

Chetz

My first shiny...was in my soulsilver version. I was travelling through the boring victory road, and i eventually ran outta max repels. So i nearly got to the exit, and i encountered a shiny graveler. I was so excited. A legit shiny. I managed to catch it with my 2nd ultra ball. I still have it and i will never trade it. Its the first shiny i encountered ever, even after knowing about it for so long.

Marbi Z

Cin-Der-Race!
In the 700 hours I put in my Platinum and the 230 plus hours I put in my Heartgold I NEVER once encountered a shiny... NEVER! How sad is that!?

Thijsijs

Back @ Pokemon :3
My first shiny, apart from the Red Gyrados, was a Sandshrew on Gold. With the gameboy color -.- I didn't know for sure if there was a twinkle, so I caught it anyway. And huzzah, it was shiny! It was more of a surprise when I saw it then when I caught it :3

shiny tangela. one time, in soulsilver, i was leveling and out popped a shiny tangela. i got really excited and said, "holy bacon strips"! *edited, but it sort of rhymes* my gf asked why i started shouting and dancing and i had to answer, "you wouldn't understand. it's a nerdy thing". one quickball later i was an extremely lucky and happy man. now i can't stop chaining. i'm obsessed. please make it stop.

The first shiny I encountered was a shiny whismer in rusturf tunnel in sapphire. I was so proud of myself.:D

However, technically my first shiny was a psyduck that i got in a trade, but i assume you mean the first one you encountered yourself.

Jagged

When I encountered my first shiny, my jaw dropped for what felt like 5 minutes, and I just stared at the thing., though I can't remember which Pokemon it was :p

I haven't posted here in soooo long.

It was a shiny Oddish. I had released one and I thought it came back to haunt me or whatever.

Cloud369

Pretty fun , but the fact it has different colors ,doesn't make it that much special.
However ,i do collect them. I caught a shiny Nindoran (M) some days ago XD

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
ive had 3 shinys but i only got one legally.
red garados (doesnt count)
machoke->machamp (form wi-fi)
when i found my third one in the wild, i freaked out and told all my friends that i found a red graveler! i had 7 ultra balls. surprizingly, i caught it wit my last ultra ball. i was like oh. my. god! omygod, omygod, omygod! then a couple of months later, i made a new file. :( i forgot all about graveler... :(

Dean

Wonder of Thunder!
Why does the world hate me?!
It was the Zigzagoon chasing Birch.

That REALLY sucks. I get paranoid with that whenever I replay Sapphire or Emerald.

Anyway, on topic:

"Cool. Red Gyarados."

Me, age 7. Wha? Red Gyarados doesn't count? Okay, my first real shiny was a Pikachu in the Safari Zone in Emerald. I was scared it would run away, but it didn't and I caught it. I was really excited and used the f****er in my team all the time.

ShadowDragon16

My first shiny was a Blue-eyed Lunatone from my Sapphire version. I was walking through meteor falls to go capture a swellow, then I ran into a lunatone with blue eyes. I was thinking it was strange, so i captured it and later looked it up seeing what made it sparkle, I found out it was shiny and I was happy, next was a orange eyed Claydol

Zachmac

The first shiny I ever saw? Well, I was bored one day(While I was a noob who was trying to evolve my team's kadabra and pikachu by level up), so I made a new character to see how far I could get in a day on firered, without deleting my original character. I came across a blue ponyta(Yeah, I'm fast), while on first island. I thought it was kind of cool, so I caught it.

Later, I went searching there(With my original character) and I spent hours looking for that blue ponyta. Nothing. ):

My first shiny was a Blue-eyed Lunatone from my Sapphire version. I was walking through meteor falls to go capture a swellow, then I ran into a lunatone with blue eyes. I was thinking it was strange, so i captured it and later looked it up seeing what made it sparkle, I found out it was shiny and I was happy, next was a orange eyed Claydol
Tate and Liza must be jealous. Two shiny psychic types?

7 tyranitars

when I first saw my first shiny an aron I was like omg a shiny!!! *tries to catch it* *failed* aron used roar :(

the 4 years later I encountered a second shiny a gloom (who is now a bellosom) being so long ago and not clear in my memory anymore it shocked me I was actualy training my pokemons and I was looking at the tv when I heard a sound so I was like wtf is that then I looked at my ds screen and went like this: !@#!@#^!@^#%^&!@%#& a shiny, then realising I had only 1 ultra ball with me.. -.-" I weakened it with one dragon rage, and I thought to myself I have to take the gamble so I used the ultra ball went to get something to drink and when I went back I only saw the pokeball then I ended up staring at it for an hour :p

tumbleweed93

Is on the case!
First (not including Red Gyarados, which for some reason didn't really count to me as shiny as it is very easy to encounter) was a blue Nidorino in Gold. I was searching for chansey at the time so my first reaction was 2Why aren't you a chansey!?". This was about half an hour into my search.

Then suddenly I realised what I was about to K.O, so I threw an ultra ball and captured it. Yay!

The Fire Starter

I was passing through Route 202 on my Diamond, and I happened upon a shiny Starly. My first shiny ever after about 135 hours of gameplay. I was excited, but I never flipped or anything. It just sunk in quietly, and I instantly threw an Ultra Ball at it. Since it was level 3, it came quietly and I never had to weaken it.

I'm debating on whether to EV train it or put it up for offer.

Ditto123

~Word~
Other than red gyara, i encountered many shinies. but unfortunatly, i couldn't catch them. CURSE U BEGINING POOCHIENAS AND STARLIES!!! But one was real. It was in soul silver. I didn't kno what was gunna happen since i didnt have the original GSC and i was ****** off at clair. I randomly answered the questions of what i thought a good person would do (maybe there was a prize?) I left and i ignored the call from elm. I realized that i didn't kno where to go. I went back to the den to see if the elder could tell me. I got a DRATINI. I was like...Cool, i love dragonite. so i went to see its stats and i was a SHINY ADAMENT DRATINI!!!! i was jumping around. then my ds ran out of battery. i was heartbroken. I charged it and played but it turns out i saved RIGHT AFTER I GOT THE DRATINI. I was so happy. and my friend told my where to go ;)

abraxas

Words.
"What the... Why does Drowzee look so odd?...." Found it outside the Daycare Center in the original G/S. Caught it, and never used it.