• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your first computer?

What OS was your first computer?

• Windows 95/98/2000/ME

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Windows Vista/7/8/10

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Apple Mac OS

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Other (e.g. Linux)

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
We all have to start somewhere, and computers are no exception. Was your first computer a PC, Mac, or something else? Mine was a PC with Windows ME (Millennium Edition).

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I don’t know the brand but it was an old computer my dad’s employee gave us. It was from the mid 80s and had a slot for both floppy disks formats, one for carts similar to the old Nintendo game paks, and a dot matrix printer that had the paper you tore apart and had the holely strips on the sides. There were a few games on the disks such as Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune which my sister mainly played as I was too young to know how to read and understand the games’ rules at the time. Then my aunt’s family gave us our second computer which was an Apple and I played with that more given I could read a bit and older and it had a couple of games including The Oregon Trail which mostly led to everyone dying on me and I only made it to the end of the game a couple of times with only one person barely alive. I used to play the game for the music at the pit stops and never understood anything about the river crossing so oxen and people kept being drowned by an eight year old me because I thought pulling the wagon across a deep river was a wonderful idea.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
A 286 running DOS and Windows 3.0. It was a second hand PC that ended up my room and was my own personal PC for a while, when my family upgraded to a 486 Running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 back in 94.. This was way before Windows 95 was around. I've even got files from that first PC on my current PC. (I have floppy disks from that I kept from that time.) It was running EGA video, which was a display format in mid-80s, and a predecessor to the VGA standard we know of today.

Mind you, my first Personal "Computer" was a Amstrad NC100 Note pad, which lasted for a good part of a decade. I did alot of school work on it. It died in 2000. Just because how rare it was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_NC100 This was the era when Laptops that we'd recognise were just coming to the market, and many of them where just starting to be IBM compatible (which was to say, it ran programs written for Desktop PCs at the time, and the predecessors to today's hardware.) (Technically the Amstrad NC100 could run software that ran on desktops, by using the BASIC language, which was available on most computers since the late 70s, as it ran a modifed BBC Basic variant from 1981..)

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
First computer I got to use at home was a generic PC clone, running MS-DOS 5 or 6. It had a menu system, IBM Fixed Disk Organizer, I think.

VoltTacklePikachu

yah Eevee Rocks !
The first PC I used was a desktop running my Dad’s Windows 95 in the late 90s later we also had Windows 98 desktop(Don’t know what models they were on).
Both mostly remember playing shareware/demos eg.Jazz Jackrabbit 2,Catz II ,Sonic 3D etc via PC Format UK magazine discs and from a global star shareware disc on the both of them.Also had PC Genius Floppy disks,3D Pets series: Splat the Cat,PC Pup,Koi-Koi and playing Petz 4. Also the screensavers were awesome from memory for 95 and 98.

Out of all that still got the 3D pets games and Petz 4.The 3D pets games don’t work properly on anything beyond a Windows 98 however as they can’t save and everything runs too fast(sound goes kinda nightmarish) even in compatibility mode.Think we got one PC Format demo disc(1996 I think?) which missed being chucked out with the floppy disks and the other big pile of PC Format discs we had.

My first actual Computer for my own use was a HP laptop(can’t remember exact model) running Windows Vista doing School work.

VoltTacklePikachu

yah Eevee Rocks !
I have Petz 4 on a Windows 98 virtual machine, as well as Petz 3 (on Windows 95) and Babyz.
Cool I still run Petz 4 on my Windows 10 laptop and have been running it on every system since 95. Still remember using dial up on the 95 and 98 to get breedz and pet files for it and it taking forever. Did have Babyz and remember going on the online adoption center when it came out again still using dial up.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Cool I still run Petz 4 on my Windows 10 laptop and have been running it on every system since 95. Still remember using dial up on the 95 and 98 to get breedz and pet files for it and it taking forever. Did have Babyz and remember going on the online adoption center when it came out again still using dial up.

Kids these days will never understand the struggle of not using the phone while using the Internet and downloads which took hours. :p

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
My first computer ran on Windows XP. Really liked it. But the first computer that I ever used was an Apple IIe. Loved playing Oregon Trail, Word Munchers and Number Munchers.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
My pc was a piece of crap brand called AOpen running pre-installed Windows ME. The first time we used it while my dad was watching it froze badly and shut down with a voice saying "CPU Malfunction" (CPU Bilað in my language) and we thought it broke. But the PC was fine when it restarted. It was a purchased with money from my Confirmation (Christianic coming of age commitment 14 years old). But my dad apparently didn't know AOpen budget PC's were terrible.

It's not even advertised on their webpage. (They actually don't advertise personal computers) but i found a example here.

Last edited:

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
The first PC our family had predates Windows 95. It ran Windows 3.1 and I think it might have been a Tandy-branded machine? Or maybe that was just the monitor. Either way, I was, like, three, so remembering anything of that is a pretty big ask.

The first computer I personally owned was a Dell laptop running Windows XP. It was probably the best laptop I ever used, relative to the era I had it in.

My first PC was a 486DX2 66 MHz processor running Win 3.11

However my first computer was a Commodore 16, followed by an Atari STE, before I got my PC above.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
The first one I remember was a Macintosh Performa. It may have been an all-in-one but the details are blurry. It was the kind of plastic that eventually turns yellow like an old Super Nintendo lol

Humuskk1

I'm not sure the name of my first computer. One of those big box computers with a glass screen , or something else. I can remember playing this silly dolphin game in it and also this Paint program, but it was Batman-themed. It was a lot of enjoyable. When I first got the Internet the my first move was to sign up for MSN and chat with my friends.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
My first computer was a Dell laptop back in 2007. I don't remember the model or the specs, but I remember thinking it was amazingly thin at the time, although it would have been quite bulky by today's standards.

My first desktop I built about 5 years ago. I've since upgraded almost every component within it and replaced the case, so the only original component is the PSU, but it served me well. I still have many of the components (the motherboard was damaged and I don't know where the original HDD ended up, but I still have most of the expensive stuff) and plan on using them to build my younger brother a computer eventually.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
The first computer I had in my house growing up was an Acer Pentium 90 MHz running Windows 95. I think my parents got it on sale, and it was a family Christmas gift that year.

The first computer that I could really call my own was a whitebox AMD Athlon. My grandparents helped my buy it as a high school graduation gift, and the first major upgrade I did on it was buying an NVIDIA GeForce 2 card. That started with Windows 98, and I upgraded to Windows 2000 when one of my roommates was pretending to be me on AOL Instant Messenger. I had that computer for pretty close to a decade - it became my first domain controller/file server when I started building a home lab.