• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your first computer?

What OS was your first computer?

• Windows 95/98/2000/ME

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Windows Vista/7/8/10

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Apple Mac OS

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Other (e.g. Linux)

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The Oregon Trail on the Apple II is one of my most vivid memories of that game. I think that I made it to that last river stop with two party members and myself still alive and had to do that mini game where you floated on the raft with the wagon on it and you had to press keys to avoid rocks. Being 8 years old, I didn’t know what the heck I was doing and I crashed and drowned everyone all at once. After that I would avoid choosing the path that led to that mini game.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
While the first computer we would have had was probably a Win 3.x machine, the first I actually remember using was Win95. Wasn't too into computers back in the 90s or early 00s but now I've started building a bunch of classic machines. Really fun seeing how far computing has come in such a short time. Also incredibly frustrating trying to get hardware working.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
My first real experience was on Windows 98 way back in the day. I was a kid at the time, so I didn't know squat about the technology that went in to producing a PC. Once I got into Middle School that's when I started to get infatuated with what went into PC's. I set a budget during my Middle School day's and built my very first PC with Windows XP OS. Let's just say that I had to do a lot of chores and side work to save up money at the time. When the time came my dad helped me get the parts, and we built the computer.

Just this past fall I built another gaming rig. I'm running a RTX 2060 Super and a Ryzen 7 5700G CPU. The 2060 Super is a few years old now, but it's great enough to play what I want.

Humuskk1

I don’t know the brand but it was an old computer my dad’s employee gave us. It was from the mid 80s and had a slot for both floppy disks formats, one for carts similar to the old Nintendo game paks, and a cheap refillable printer that had the paper you tore apart and had the holely strips on the sides. There were a few games on the disks such as Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune which my sister mainly played as I was too young to know how to read and understand the games’ rules at the time. Then my aunt’s family gave us our second computer which was an Apple and I played with that more given I could read a bit and older and it had a couple of gam3s including The Oregon Trail which mostly led to everyone dying on me and I only made it to the end of the game a couple of times with only one person barely alive. I used to play the game for the music at the pit stops and never understood anything about the river crossing so oxen and people kept being drowned by an exit year old me because I thought pulling the wagon across a deep river was a wonderful idea.
At the plant, we print on carbonless triple paper with okidata. If you want to print over the network, make sure you get one with a built-in network card. Once you've got everything set up, it's pretty much flawless.

Last edited:

Orphalesion

My first computer was an age-old hand-me-down from an uncle. I have no idea what it was called or even which version of windows it ran, because I was very young (though it might even have been some pre 95/98 version!). It had some old, ooooold pixel games on it (I remember lemmings and some platformer about some blonde jungle woman), I also had a one of those mathematics games on it and a spelling one. I also only had it for a short time before it finally broke for good. It was one of those situations where a relative just wanted to load off some junk on somebody else.

My first proper computer some years later (again I don't remember how much later) ran Windows Vista and my first game on it was Final Fantasy VIII. I didn't get internet on it until a couple of years after that. Oh god, even thinking about that makes me feel like I grew up in the stone age or something. :p These days my little nephew got a tablet for his fourth birthday!

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
My first computer was an age-old hand-me-down from an uncle. I have no idea what it was called or even which version of windows it ran, because I was very young (though it might even have been some pre 95/98 version!). It had some old, ooooold pixel games on it (I remember lemmings and some platformer about some blonde jungle woman), I also had a one of those mathematics games on it and a spelling one. I also only had it for a short time before it finally broke for good. It was one of those situations where a relative just wanted to load off some junk on somebody else.

My first proper computer some years later (again I don't remember how much later) ran Windows Vista and my first game on it was Final Fantasy VIII. I didn't get internet on it until a couple of years after that. Oh god, even thinking about that makes me feel like I grew up in the stone age or something. :p These days my little nephew got a tablet for his fourth birthday!
That was probably Jill of the Jungle, one of Epic's early games.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
This poll should have options for older systems like windows 3.1, 2, 1 for the older folks who post here.

Anyway, believe my first computer was either Windows 95 or 98. Don't remember which it was, could have been either.

Sanron228

My first computer came to me quite late by modern standards. Because I spent more time on the street and I was not interested in it. So I had the most ordinary computer, through which I could only sit on social networks and watch some movies. Now I can't imagine myself without my laptop. I bought myself a huawei laptop. And I can work anywhere in the world. It is convenient for me. What do you like better, a computer or a laptop?

Last edited:

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
Its been a very long time but I think around 1999 my first computer was Windows 98 and my goodness I remember how slow it was at the time. My kid self was always impatient whenever the thing tried to start up and load pages.

Duck-Duck

Almighty Duck
Yup my goodness what a long time ago when I was little playing pokemon yellow. We got a windows 98 gateway computer with a few games I got being that of: Sonic 3& Knuckles collection, conjuction junction, Carmen Sandiego, and an Arthur game to name a few...
I remember when XP first came out there were only two pcs in our computer lab that had XP and trying to play runescape on them xD. Funny days

Blood Red

【推しの子】
First computer I ever used was our family computer, a standard Windows tower that my dad built himself. Nothing special, just something I used to play games on as a kid.

The first computer I owned was a 2014 MacBook Pro, the 15 inch model. Really nice machine, though it was a tank in both weight and size. Got many great years out of it and still have it, though it's not my daily driver anymore. Looks and works great for a machine that's about 8 years old at this point.