• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your first Pokemon card?

The_Black_Mamba

Everyone who has had any number of TCG's has had their moment where they get their very first card(s).

What's your story behind your first cards and did it inspire you to collect more? Or did it lead you to play the games?

My very first cards where from the first started deck released in America and before then I had seen a ratatata card before. When I got my cards it inspired me to play the games and play competitively.

Share your story please. :)

Aquarelle

Staff member
Well, I don't remember much from back then, but I'll try:

The first cards I got were from the Base Set. I want to say that it was 1998 or 1999 when I got them, but I'm honestly not 100% sure about the year. What I do remember is that I became a Pokemon fan after watching the anime in 1998, and that's what ultimately got me interested in collecting Pokemon cards. I collected a whole binder of cards, and made up my own games with them (one game I played was this one where I pretended the Pokemon on the cards were going to school).

Nowadays, I don't really follow the tcg anymore. I haven't bought any cards in a long time. I'm more interested in the games and Pokespecial manga now.

The_Black_Mamba

Well, I don't remember much from back then, but I'll try:

The first cards I got were from the Base Set. I want to say that it was 1998 or 1999 when I got them, but I'm honestly not 100% sure about the year. What I do remember is that I became a Pokemon fan after watching the anime in 1998, and that's what ultimately got me interested in collecting Pokemon cards. I collected a whole binder of cards, and made up my own games with them (one game I played was this one where I pretended the Pokemon on the cards were going to school).

Nowadays, I don't really follow the tcg anymore. I haven't bought any cards in a long time. I'm more interested in the games and Pokespecial manga now.

I had several books of the cards myself when I was younger. I wish I had some still their value would be crazy for some if them.

Phoenixchamp5

GoldenWings
mine was a psyduck my friend found it and gave it to me. I know it may sound weird but before that i dint like pokemon much and with that one card i wanted to try it out so i got a bit more. Then my cousin gave me pokemon silver and like the game as much as the cards and now i play mostly the game instead of the cards (but still have some like deoxys and ground arceus and acreus lvl x and got them both on same card packet lucky :)

I think my first card was a Eletric Energy Card I got from frient long time ago. After that, I got the cards which were given in Films (Celebi and Suicune). I used to trade 'em with some crap cards 'cause I was a noob XD. Now, I have over 600 cards lol. Because of one Energy Card I got into cards, that's strange. Also my friends who gave me the card don't have 'em anymore and don't like Pokémon too. lol.

~*Scyther*~

i was inspired to collect the cards after playing the games and my first card was a Base 1 series zubat that my dad found at his old work and brought it home to me when i was 6. i have collected ever since :)

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
I got 4, but the only one I remember is the First Edition reverse Holo Machamp. (I think it was reverse Holo). Then it got washed ;-;

Primal Crusader V

Watch some MANime
I remember that I had Blastoise card issued in 1998. Now, the entire cover of it is ripped off and it is considered a faded memory.

GilligBoi

Base set Electabuzz.

G50

No longer posting
1st Edition Pikachu card.

my 1st 10 were all in the same week.

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
I can't really remember where from, but at least 10 years ago, I somehow got my hands on a Clefairy Doll card. I still have it to this day.

Sapphire_Pichu

I hate Ringo...
I believe one of my first pokemon cards was something someone had in abundance, like a Caterpie, or a Weedle. It may have even been a Nidoran. I can't remember, it's been too long and I no longer have my cards! :eek: