• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

MrHoopa

Hoopa is OP
I recently caught my first shiny ( A relicanth that was a completely random encounter at route 128) and my initial reaction was to yell, "Oh my god!" and call my brother. This got me thinking, what were your guys first reactions?

Lexya428

Pokèmon Master
Gosh, that was back in Silver version. A shiny Wooper. I don't think I ever ever evolved it. I found it and I was like "whoa" and stored it in the PC for the rest of its days. Until, Silver eventually corrupted itself.. along with my first full team of level 100s. ;)

MrHoopa

Hoopa is OP
Gosh, that was back in Silver version. A shiny Wooper. I don't think I ever ever evolved it. I found it and I was like "whoa" and stored it in the PC for the rest of its days. Until, Silver eventually corrupted itself.. along with my first full team of level 100s. ;)
Back in diamond I saw a shiny floatzel, but I clicked run instead of attack. This is my first caught one.

Just stunned shock while my brain couldn't believe what I was seeing XD. My first shiny was way back in crystal and I was surfing to cianwood city and I came across a shiny tentacool. All of my team was too strong but the weakest attack I had was my noctowl's peck attack (which nearly killed it but didn't) and I was able to catch it. Looking back on it now I should have tried to chuck a few pokeballs first but I was a lot younger back then (and I think I might have been somewhat low on pokeballs too at that moment). After that I made sure to always have plenty of pokeballs.

Last edited:

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Why is this Zubat Green? Hey look a red gyarados! Why is this Ponyta purplish black? Why is this caterpie golden? Softer pink ratatta? Hey, look a weird magby and drowzee came from this egg!

GSC had loads of shiny for me. Never cared much.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I didn't think anything of it. It was a Tyrogue from one of the Eggs in Crystal, and also my first exposure to Shinies. Because Tyrogue couldn't be found anywhere else, I spent years thinking that Blue was its natural color.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
My first was in Alpha Sapphire (which was actually my first game), a wild shiny Skorupi. I started to freak out a bit. Once I calmed down, I very slowly switched Pokémon, False Swiped it, then used an Ultra Ball. Caught.

I named it "Shiny". :p

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I have forgotten what my reaction was to my first shiny pokemon and the pokemon itself. I assume that I was mildly surprised by it.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Relief? I did not discover one by accident. I learned of them from Serebii researching information for Jirachi, hence my name. And I saw shiny Spoink and went "I want one." I found one after two hours. In hindsight I was really lucky. I feel kind of spoiled that shinies are not a surprise for me. As for the first unexpected shiny, which was either a Golbat or Machoke, I don't really remember since it was so long ago.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Me when a random shiny Seedot shows up 15 minutes into restarting Ruby: "Why is that Seedot red?"

I'd played GSC but I didn't know what shinies were - I thought the red Gyarados was a special one-off thing. Hence my confusion when I ran into my first random shiny. I thought it looked cool though and I figured it must be special, so I caught it. Years later I learned how lucky I was.

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
My first non-Gyarados shiny was Weepinbell. I was relatively calm about the whole thing because I recognised the sparkle animation and thought "oh so Gyarados isn't the only one who can be like that? that's really cool!" Amazingly enough I caught it and that's basically what started my interest in hunting shinies.

Philrawr

Shiny Hunter
So I'm gonna tell two stories here, 1 of the first ever shiny I saw, and the second of the first I ever caught.

The first shine I ever saw in the wild was a Pineco in Pokemon Crystal. I was quite young at the time, and I didn't even know shiny Pokemon existed! I saw that it was a different colour to what it should be, and I thought my game was glitched, so I turned my game boy off and on again and went about my day not knowing any different. Years later I found out about shiny Pokemon and realised the mistake I had made, to this day I kick myself about the whole situation!

The first shiny Pokemon I ever caught was literally two days ago in Alpha Sapphire, and it was a shiny Magikarp. I was actually Chain Fishing for it and was so happy when I found one. I now am starting to shiny hunt and try to complete my living dex to get the shiny charm!

Nockturne

My first shiny was a random encounter Audino (I was grinding for exp so I guess I was chaining them by accident) and I tweeted about it because I'm millennial af.

Laurelai

My first encounter was back in Emerald and it was an Exeggcute.... in the safari zone >.< My first reaction was "what's tha.... SHINY!!!" then I tormented over throwing mud or snacks... and it ran away lol. I was devastated. So much so that I became a shiny hunter lol.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
When I spotted a shiny kricketune in Diamond I freaked out, because I'd been trying for AGES to get a shiny in all the 3rd gen games (minus Collosseum and XD) and had been frustrated about not finding one, and I was so relieved to finally get one. I also did a freakout when I got my second shiny, a psyduck on Pearl, because Psyduck has always been one of my favorite pokemon.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I did a lot of trading for shinies on the randomized trading thing in Gen V. I ended up releasing all of the ones I collected once I moved everything to Bank because I wanted to start anew.
The first shiny I actually caught (excusing red Gyrados and the random events) was a red Basculin in X & Y. Now I'm trying to complete my shiny dex and have over 400 of the things.

Konacha

My first true shiny was a Geodude in Pokemon Diamond & Pearl that showed up randomly while trying to level up. While I played Gen 3, I have never seen a wild shiny. I did have shiny's in Gen II but it was easy get Shiny's back then as I was using a Gameshark. In fact, just last week I found a Shiny Pikachu in OmegaRuby and even a Shiny Palkia (which I yelled loud enough that my girlfriend wondered what was wrong).

Kalosian

So long
The first random shiny I ever found was a shiny Ponyta outside of Mt. Silver in Crystal. I remember being really surprised since I did at that point not know what shinies were, or that they even existed. I had previously met the shiny Gyarados at Lake of Rage but didn't know that it was a "shiny", I had thought it was just a one-time in-game event thing which there weren't any more of. So when I discovered that any regular Pokemon could have a different color and an effect of sparkling stars as they were sent out into battle, I was really surprised.

my first shiny was a sentret in Heart Gold, i was really surprised but very happy!!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
My first shiny ever was a random floatzel on route 224 in Diamond while I was looking for a shuckle (GBA insert pokemon). I didn't even know shinies existed so I just kinda stared for a minute, then started chucking balls since I had nothing to weaken it with. There was much "...wtf?"-ing online that night as I tried to figure out what the heck I'd just caught. Then a friend explained shinies to me on skype.