• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

Miss Alexis

Event Collector :)
When I was a little kid I was playing Pokemon silver, with the cartridge in a super nintendo game that fit into the super nintendo so I was on the big screen. I remember going through Dragons Den and then running into a Golden Magikarp and I thought 'why is that Magikarp gold?' I called my brother to show him and then I realized that I didnt have any pokeballs in my inventory! I shut off the game and turned the game back on and went hunting for it. After hours later, I couldnt find it and never knew why.

M.P.

Retired
I was surfing on some water route in Emerald, and getting quite frustrated after constantly running into Tentacools. Then I ran into a Shiny one, and all the frustration was gone.

Unova Yorker

City Girl
I was just a kid and the Pokemon craze was going strong in New York. Before Gold and Silver came out in the US, there was a store in China town that I bought the Japanese version. I had primitive internet and was so young, but I somehow got to victory road and saw a shiny brown Graveller. I'll never forget it, before we even knew what the heck shiny Pokemon were. It was MAGICAL!! I was freaking out showing my cousin, jumping up and down like "What magic is this???"

It used self distrust after one ultra ball..... I was never able to replicate it, and I wondered for years what that was.

windwakemeup

Bee Prince
I had a shiny magikarp happen on the way to Lake of Rage in Silver. I had no Pokeballs, so I couldn't catch it, but I didn't know what a shiny was back then either. I was just like "there was an animation as it appeared, that means its special somehow."

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
My first shiny was a Shinx in Pokemon Diamond. When I saw it for the first time, I was at least a bit surprised and was wondering what the heck that was.

Ambyssin

Winter can't come soon enough
Ignoring the Red Gyarados? I've never randomly encountered a shiny (even with the Charm), so my first find was via SR-ing the Enigma Stone Latias. I believe my reaction was something along the lines, "Oh my god it actually worked. Thank heavens!" Followed by some joyous squees, tossing the Master Ball I never used, and then repeatedly saving because I was paranoid.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
My first Shiny was the Red Gyarados from Gold/Silver/Crystal. I was a naive kid back then however, because I thought it was the only Shiny Pokemon in the games.

I knew that every Pokemon could be shiny in G/S/C, tho I had friends who also assumed that the Red Gyarados was the only shiny hee hee. Every time I tried explaining how shiny forms existed for each Pokemon, they wouldn't believe me. ^^;

ShinyVenomoth

I don't even remember, it was so long ago. Caught a shiny venomoth in the bug catching contest in Crystal.

The next one I saw was a shiny phanpy in Sapphire, but it was in the safari zone and it ran away lol.

ShakLax

My first was a Kakuna, catched in the bug catching contest in Pokemon Gold. I begun to search for shinys only in Pokemon Y, and there the first I cought was a Ditto. My best shiny is an Entei, catched in Alpha Sapphire (only lucky, I was looking for one with good IVs, but I had to catch that shiny :p).
With Kakuna I was not really happy... I hated Beedrill. With Entei I was crossing my fingers he had good IVs... I culdn't soft reset because it was shiny, but I needed a strong one.

Last edited:

Alphadeathdust

My first shiny was a Caterpie in Fire red 15 minutes in the game and I'm like huh why is this caterpie gold so i caught it as you do with a weird thing in Pokemon and when it evolved to butterfree i freaked out because at the time i just watched bye bye butterfree and my 12 year old self thought it looked exactly like the pink butterfree.

jskylinegtr

Sabine Cerrado and Angela Ken Rojas fan.
I was OMG! When i saw a wild Shiny Meditite in Alpha Sapphire, i caught it successfully, but it has been traded away for a random level 100!

Oberic

My first shiny was a Carvanha. I had played through Ruby dozens of times (I had nobody to play with so I just... kept restarting. This was the final restart I ever did).
This time, I decided I was going to try to find a Feebas, which I did do, but it took two or three full days (go look up how Feebas and Fishing both worked in Ruby/Sapphire if you don't know, it's hardcore).
On the last day, a mere few tiles before finding my Feebas, I got my first shiny, after hundreds of hours in Ruby, after fishing through like a thousand of these fish.. one just kinda appeared.
It was the last thing I expected, knowing the odds and my usual luck. It was awesome. I still have her (evolved and level 100, of course), currently sitting in my Moon chip.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How many people were exposed to shiny Pokemon information after discovering one in their games?

MagitekOmega

Ultra Recon Squad Trainee
I freaked out, I was fascinated at the same time. By pure chance I ran into a shiny Stantler on Route 37 on my copy of Pokemon Silver. My older brother and I had seen nothing like it and thought it was super cool.