• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
In terms of genuine surprises, the first shiny I didn't expect that I remember my reaction to was a pink Quagsire in Pastoria Marsh, during my play of Pokemon Platinum. I was just trying to increase my Pokedex when suddenly I found it, and I was really worried because this is essentially a Safari Zone. First ball failed. Second ball succeeded

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
My first shiny was a shiny Zubat in Pokemon Silver. :) My reaction was wow that Zubat is green. :p I was very young back then. Lol.

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
Apart from the Shiny Gyarados from Soul Silver, my first shiny was jynx from my White. I was casually just strolling through Giant Chasm when I encouterd slighty lighter Jynx. I didn't see the sparkles, but it looked a little different and odd, so I caught it anyways. I was kinda excited to notice that it was shiny after the capture.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I was on the couch playing my Silver version after I got ready for school, and I was just training in Mt. Silver. When I ran into a shiny Ponyta, I remember gasping and staring at the screen for a few seconds to let it register this was a special Ponyta. I made attempts to catch it, but it ran away. It ruined my morning.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
The first shiny I caught other than the red Gyarados in GSC/HGSS was a Pidgey in Y and I was surprised at how lucky I finally was because I was incredibly unlucky with Shinies before the 6th gen although I've already traded for shinies before Gen 6. But then I've already knew what Shiny Pokémon were.

SOLARISENSHI

telekinetic Trainer
I remember when I was a kid and I heard about it in generation 2 I thought they were all metallic colors like bronze gold and silver I thought all of the shinies and silver were well...silver and in the Gold version gold I didn't know that they were assorted colors that had different abilities than usual or better stats I move that wasn't in the normal move pool and I hate to admit it but only in Pokemon X did I take them seriously and put one on my team who was a Heracross later transferring it to Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and giving it a mega stone and finally leveling it up to 100

SebastiaanZ

Lol I am still furious about the thursday fiasco so I totally read something in the title ... :D Had a post typed up.

Anyway ... I remember how I got my first Shiny ... I think it was a Magnemite in Pokemon Crystal (man before Emerald, HeartGold and now B2W2 that was my favorite game, I haven't played X and/or Y yet due to other personal problems. Was really proud of the Shiny Magnemite that later became a Magneton. Sadly I accidently saved over a new game over the Pokemon Crystal I was playing then, and coincidently I never came across a Shiny Magnemite ever again.

Karma's a ... well you know what I mean. :D

04n70n10

Generally even if i played many hours many different main game's generations and had so a consequential high amount of wild encounters i wasn't really lucky for shinies.... until in my soul silver game, when i captured a shiny Zapdos at FIRST attempt! I was very worried becouse i've planned to capture a normal zapdos and so i didn't have many ultra balls and an appropiate team, but luckily i've managed to capture it at last.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
The first shiny I've ever encountered was a Pidgey in FireRed. Although I did see the sparkling animation, I didn't pay any attention and defeated the critter, since I didn't know about shinies back then. The next shiny was a Ponyta in the same game, and, since its colour scheme is vastly different from the regular one's, I realized that destroying the aforementioned Pidgey was a mistake. Eventually, I caught the Ponyta without even weakening it, in an Ultra Ball.

ArgentAgent

My first shiny that wasn't a Red Gyarados was found under quite a funny set of circumstances. I was using Rock Smash looking for a Nosepass while I managed to make my brother angry; when I had just found a Nosepass, he had thrown something to knock one of the batteries out of my GBA (the outer cover wasn't on if I recall correctly). I was angry about it at first and restarted my hunt for a Nosepass. Within the first couple of rock smashes I found a Shiny Nosepass and was quite ecstatic about it (and yeah, I caught it. Too bad I lost it years ago when I had to reset my game).

Last edited:

Jirachi100

Kirby Fan
I found a shiny Staravia in Diamond and missed the sparkle animation/sound. I just noticed it was brown. I asked my little brother if he thought it was shiny, but I don't remember what he said. When I caught it, I named it "SHINY OMG". It's probably the dumbest name I've ever given a shiny. I did evolve it into Staraptor. If I hadn't learned about shinies on the internet before having the game, then I don't know what would have happened.

My first shiny was an oddish in Pokemon Fire red....in the safari zone. I remember screaming at the top of my lungs in the backseat of my parents mini van. The little guy ran and it tormented me for days---shinies obviously being much rarer back then.

Inconspicuosaurus

Bone-ified dinosaur
My first shiny other than the Red Gyarados, or a shiny Smoochum I got from the egg in Crystal, was a blue Psyduck I saw in Fire Red. I was amazed, because to me shinies were like this distant legend that I would never see. I freaked out, caught it, and then I nicknamed it ShinyDude (even though it was female...). Later, I traded it to Diamond and used seals to make it say "SHINY!" and spray confetti when it was released. Eventually I realised it was incredibly lame to have a shiny called ShinyDude and found someone willing to trade it for a shiny Tauros. I didn't tell them about the name, and they never said anything afterwards, but at the time I was really nervous they'd demand a tradeback. XD I still use that Tauros to this day!

Tangeh

Discounting the red gyarados, my first shiny was a marill in sapphire. I'd only learned shiny Pokemon existed the week before so thank goodness I didn't assume it was a glitch or something. I was just wandering in the grass in the daycare route with my eyes closed seeing if I could guess the Pokemon by its cry, and I heard a weird noise before the marill cry, so I looked up and it was green. xD

Over a decade later I transferred the thing to XY once I'd gotten into competitive and realized that this completely random shiny had an adamant nature, huge power, and a 31 IV in attack. Its other IVs were garbage but I totally EV trained it and used it for the heck of it. xD

Conquering Storm

Driver of the Aegis
My train of thought upon encountering a shiny Machop in the Fiery Path in Alpha Sapphire:
OHMYGOSH! IT'S SHINY!
Wait...is it? It doesn't look that different.
No, it had the sparkly effect when it appeared, so it's shiny.
MUST CATCH IT!
I eventually ended up evolving it all the way into a Machamp, then trading it away on the GTS for a Reshiram.

Sprinter1988

"F*CK! IT EXPLODED! WHY MUST EVERYTHING GO WRONG FOR ME?"
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
(BTW, my first shiny encounter (other than Red Gyarados) was a Graveler.)

Shinyhunter1990

Shiny Hunter 4 life
My first shiny was in pokemon emerald and it was a pikachu from the safari zone best part about it was that it was holding a light ball. I thought holy crap and almost passed out from excitement

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Generally even if i played many hours many different main game's generations and had so a consequential high amount of wild encounters i wasn't really lucky for shinies.... until in my soul silver game, when i captured a shiny Zapdos at FIRST attempt! I was very worried becouse i've planned to capture a normal zapdos and so i didn't have many ultra balls and an appropiate team, but luckily i've managed to capture it at last.

Congrats on that, you're pretty luck in that respect