• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

P14

I had a collection of shinies in pokemon pearl :)
The first shiny I saw in the wild without specifically hunting for one was a shiny gligar in a random hoard battle in X/Y.. I won't forget how happy I was.

Kennith

Banned
I think it when I was playing GBA games. A different colored Girafraig appeared and it sparked my interest. Caught it and later on found out it was shiny.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I was falling asleep hatching eggs on Y when I derailed into the flowers on that route where the daycare is. First thing that popped was Shiny Volbeat. That woke me up right away and easily captured it. My heart was pretty much pounding lol

When I encountered it at first, it did wake me up. After that I was like, oh **** I only have a high level Talonflame to try and weaken it. Fortunately it never came to that. It still sits now in a shiny box, collecting dust. I don't like Volbeat at all... besides its name since its pretty much from a band I listen to.

jvbastel

I just caught my first shiny yesterday. I'm finishing my national dex and was doing the Y victory road. Shiny lickitung appeared while I was moving out.
Been a long time since I've had such a "holy crap" moment in any game.

Too bad I was out of good pokeballs so I just threw an ugly repeat ball.

LadyJane

Collector
My first shiny was a whismur in pokemon emerald. I didn't saw the sparkle at the beginning of the fight, but a noticed a bit after that this ears were green, so I caught it instead of running away.

Lady Umbreon

(Playing Crystal) "Hey, a gray Rattata! I'm gonna catch it!" (Knocks it out.) "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

And from that day on I was shiny-cursed. I didn't see anymore in Gen 2 and in Gen 3 I only saw uncatchable ones like the Meowth in LeafGreen's Trainer Tower. The curse was broken in HeartGold when I was SRing my Ho-oh for IVs and ended up with a shiny.

My first shiny was caught in my friend's Friend Safari. I just walked in to see what three Pokemon she had in there and the first Pokemon that showed up was a shiny Spheal. I was pretty excited. I had never seen a shiny show up for me.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
"Goddamnit."

It was a Gastrodon in pokemon pearl. If I wasn't paying attention to the glittering part, I would've ran. It didn't even look shiny...

-____-

RedJirachi

Veteran member
"Goddamnit."

It was a Gastrodon in pokemon pearl. If I wasn't paying attention to the glittering part, I would've ran. It didn't even look shiny...

-____-

I hate it when shinies look almost the same as normal

Erron Black

The Outlaw
My first shiny was a Glameow in Pearl, I was so excited to finally find a legit shiny and after I caught it, immediately saved the game. I didn't nickname it unfortunately, I wish did. I still have it to this day too! :)

Marvs

Shinneeee!
The first shiny I got was a Charmander via hatching in Pearl, I had read about shinys (didn't know anything about masuda method) and Charizard was my favourite Pokemon. So it was a full 1/8192 Pokemon! It was a great feeling, still have it now too.

Although, after sending it into battle and noting the sparkles it made me realise that I had actually ran away from some shinys before, Noctowl was the one I remember the most, I remember thinking what are these sparkles, but obviously didn't notice the colour change!

SilverChiko

Protect The Smiles!
My first reaction was something along the lines of "About friggin time!" as I had played every game released until X/Y and my first shiny was a Tangela from the Friend Safari when I was only 3 REs in.

AngelYT

Hey there, I hope you are having a great day! It is a great idea to gather the community and talk about Shiny Pokemon, I am all for this thread!

I remember my first shiny encounter was a shiny Geodude in Pokemon Pearl when I was only 9 years old. I encountered it in The Wayward Cave, (It is located on Route 206, beneath the Cycling Road.) There was a side quest inside the cave where the player can join a NPC Trainer named Mira and lead her out of the cave. She enabled double battles and I was stuck in the cave (without the Flash TM) for about 2 hours looking for the exit. We got into a double battle with two Geodude's and that is when I encountered the shiny. My initial reaction was to call my knowledgeable brother and ask "Did I just glitch my game? WTF is this? Why is it coloured like that?" "Please don't ruin my game". I was so confused but he taught me about the rare shiny Pokemon and I had set my heart on them ever since. Times have changed now, I have become a hunter of them and have at least 20 boxes of shinies in Pokemon Y. I have traded the Geodude onto my Y game and evolved it into a Golem!

Never give up finding shinies, they are so worth it and congrats to everyone on their Shiny Pokemon Journeys!

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
My first non-Gyarados shiny was Raticate in Silver. I actually had 2 shiny Raticates before the battery died. I thought it was weird, but didn't really understand what it was back in generation 2. I have 3 shinies from gen 3 transferred all the way up to gen 6 and I didn't ever see any in gen 4 or 5.

My first shiny was Metalgross in Omega Ruby... you know, the one Steven gives you? Yeah. I've never caught a shiny... then again I haven't been that disciplined about it either.

hendrix02k

I saw my first shiny in pokemon diamond version and it was a green zoobat and i had no pokeballs so I was sad .I killed it in one move with my lv 89 DIALGA

scififan21

My first shiny was a Mudkip I hatched in X after about 40 eggs I literally shouted in excitement.