• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

MoonStarRaven

My first shiny was in Leaf Green, I was pretty new to Pokémon at the time and didn't know about shinnies. My first reaction was, "What is wrong with that Oddish? Better catch it." :)

My next shiny ticked me off as it was at a point in the game that I couldn't throw a pokeball and I just sat there for awhile staring at the screen, and just last week I was leveling up in Alpha Ssapphire, not really paying attention, when a random shiny houndour popped up. I was so excited I called my best friend, only to get flat 'that's nice'.

ItsMeBrandon

I think it was about 9 years ago when I was playing LeafGreen and saw a shiny for the first time, a shiny Caterpie in Viridian Forest. I think my reaction was something like, "Whoa... that's a shiny, isn't it?"
I proceeded to catch it and nickname it "Tinklehead," since shiny Caterpie is yellow.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I feel views on shinies are somewhat spoiled, given we can easily find out about them and how to find them

In terms of types of shinies, my first soft reset shiny was Rayquaza. Pokemon Ruby version-I was hunting for one, and it took just the one day to find it. I was so excited and immediately Master Ball'd it, calling the Pokemon Ziz Prime. My first Masuda Method was Mudkip, but I felt it more tedious than anything. Porygon is currently my only chain shiny, and I'm happy for what I got. The blue on whitish purple really fits given its artifical nature

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
My first shiny was a Zangoose in Ruby version (I KOd the Red Gyarados in Silver). My brother had already found 2 shinies and I really wanted to find one of my own. I didn't know what shinies were at this point but I remember reading something about a golden Swablu and decided I really wanted one. I wasn't searching for long before I found my Zangoose, male with a relaxed nature. I was so excited I ran about telling everyone. I loved him to pieces but he was sadly deleted when my game file corrupted, along with my brother's 2 shinies (he'd traded me them so he could restart his Sapphire). I was heartbroken when this happened but I managed to PokeRadar chain for a new one in Pearl and then MM for one in X. Even though I was able to get more shiny Zangoose, they'll still never replace my first one.

Jazzroen

Dragon Trainer
my first shiny was a Pidgey in Firered. I carefully weakened it, went to my bag....... and found out I didn't have any pokeballs anymore. I still think about that Pidgey sometimes and how foolish it was of me not to have any pokeballs.

yesterday I saw my second shiny ever! a Farfetch'd in Heartgold. I caught it and I was so happy :) unfortunately it will probably stay in the PC box for all eternity.

porygonfan

My first was shiny Pidgey in Pokémon Silver. I had no idea what it was until after, my official first is shiny caterpie.

MudkipZenn

NewlyWedded Adventur
I was getting my baby brother to play a new ruby game, when showing him some of the mechanics i came across a gold poochyana. It was pure gold and I gasped really hard because i had just learned that shinies could happen in the older games as well as the newer games. My poor baby didnt understand!

I can't remember exactly what my reaction was with my first ever shiny, a shiny Gulpin, so I'll just tell you a few- of the two shinies I failed, then the first one I caught and kept.

It actually happened while I was playing through Pokemon FireRed (and actually bothering to complete it for the first time). I was in the Safari Zone, looking for the area in which you could catch Scyther, when a shiny male Nidoran appeared. I was in shock- I just threw something... then it fled. Honestly, I was in shock so much that I don't even really think it hit me that I found a shiny. All I remember doing is just shrugging and saying shakily to myself 'Well, I have a perfectly good Nidoking anyway. I wouldn't have used it' and just getting on with my life. The second time, I wasn't so pragmatic about it. It was a shiny Fearow. Excited, I went to weaken it with my weakest move- only for it to crit and kill it in one hit. Needless to say- I was ticked beyond belief. It actually was a catalyst for my irrational hatred for the line. I managed to reclaim it recently, though, while playing through my SoulSilver Nuzlocke. Osiris, the one I caught was on my final team. (And, before you ask, yes, Osiris was awesome. I was just as stunned to find him, and as stunned to realise exactly how fun Fearow was to use).

I didn't find a new shiny until Y, though. While I was playing through it, I was trying to MM a shiny Pancham (which I never ended up getting, but I digress). I'd just beaten Grant, and was passing through Connecting Cave when I encountered a shiny Axew. Once again- I was stunned for about ten seconds, before I started muttering to myself, 'Holy crud, that's a shiny Axew!' Wasn't thinking straight for most of the battle. Didn't really regain my senses until I caught it, nicknamed it 'Tuscany', and saved. Then I was honestly overjoyed for the rest of the day (and even happier when I found a shiny Mime Jr the very next day).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I was getting my baby brother to play a new ruby game, when showing him some of the mechanics i came across a gold poochyana. It was pure gold and I gasped really hard because i had just learned that shinies could happen in the older games as well as the newer games. My poor baby didnt understand!

Which would probably make him just the right age for an Omega Ruby game. Did he get the silver Metagross?

Missingno.Fan

My first shiny was a Linoon on Sapphire. I wasn't looking at my GBA at the star of the encounter but I thought I heard a "ting". Since shiny Linoon and regular Linoon pretty much look the same, I caught it just to be safe.

Gardev0ir

It was a Shiny Spinda and my reaction was: "Gets shiny" Uhhhhhh (Brothers name) is that a shiny? "Brother starts freaking out, i just sit there like "neat"

Lycanroc

Midnight form 4 life
all these years i've played pokemon and i never once encountered a wild shiny....until i replayed soulsilver recently

i found a shiny geodude and my heart started pounding. i caught it annd his name is orewell /yay puns

im gonna trade him to one of my other games soon so he can be a golem

Xblade13

Experimentalist
The first shiny I ever caught was a Corphish in Emerald. I was so happy that I had a special one. However, once it evolved I couldn't really tell the difference between it and the regular one. I didn't know much about shinies and I thought that it wasn't anymore because I evolved it. I didn't transfer it to Pearl and then lost Emerald...

The second one I saw was in Leafgreen, a Geodude. The stupid thing Self Destruct-ed. >~<

Then I didn't see another shiny until Y, when the first time I threw the Old Rod in the water right after getting it, I caught a shiny Luvdisc. Forever doomed to be a boxed one though, considering it's nature hinders it's only good stat: speed.

I did hatch a Shiny specially-focused Honedge (My beloved Evil's Bane), and a shiny Exeggcute I traded away.

My first shiny was pidgey in pokémon blue. The first time I saw this new color and shiny look, I was floored. I thought I ran into a glitch or even a bug in the game code.

Torracat

My first shiny was the red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage way back in Gold. I thought it was some sort of glitch, especially after the bug-fest that was RBY, so I just knocked it out and continued my journey.

I didn't see another shiny until I started X. To this day, my first (and only) shiny was a Fletchling (now a Talonflame!). Not the coolest one ever, but I'm still so happy with him.

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
My first Shiny was in Pearl, my first game. I was running through Mt. Cornet for some reason and ran into a Green Bronzor. I thought my game glitched and almost completely freaked out. I caught it out of instinct and started talking about it to see exactly what it was.

I ended up trading him away for something that wasn't as rare since I thought my game would break if I kept him. How foolish I was....

Orphalesion

"But I don't like Noctowl..." -> Boxed (for the first shiny I encountered in the wild way back when in Pokemon Silver)

"But I don't like Gyarados..." -> Boxed (for the mandatory red Gyarados you have to battle)

Seeing as I've never encountered a wild shiny (excluding Gyarados in that statement) I'll add my others:

First wondertrade shiny (Muk): holy s**t it's a shiny. I honestly don't care that it's Muk, it's a shiny.
Shiny Dratini (from B2W2): f**kin finally it took me ages to earn this thing
Shiny Gyarados: [I caught it in my last ball] OHMYGOD YEEEEESSSSSS *punches air*

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
My very first shiny was a green rattata in heart gold, the thing is it was before I even got the pokedex and pokeballs yet. I was practically pulling my hair out at if I should knock it out, or run away. I sat there for twenty minutes before I ended up defeting it.