• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

baguette

The first shiny I think I ever found in the wild (except for red Gyarados obviously) was a raticate in the same game
I remember kinda liking the bling that appeared whenever I used it but I was too much in love with my Tyranitar to pay too much attention.
Also I remember encountering a shiny ninetails in my friend safari
And I accidentally hatched a shiny charmander when IV breeding lmao
Still waiting for that fateful day I feel like I'll properly appreciate using him. Shiny charizard you will be mine. eventually.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Which of you knew what shinies are when you got your own, and which of you didn't know about it when you discovered a shiny(excluding the obvious Red Gyarados)

xDarkNeko

It was a shiny Meditite in Diamond when I was on my way to get my third badge. I was playing it at like 8 in the morning in my bed and when I saw the different color on it, I jumped and woke up my brother. I didn't actually scream because I was tired and I bought this game like a few days before. A year later, I find a shiny Golbat at Sky Pillar in Emerald and I found a shiny Nidoran in my cousin's HeartGold game. I also accidentally ran away from a shiny Cottonee in Black and the next day I found a shiny Swellow in the same game. Three days after buying Alpha Sapphire, I find a shiny Slakoth in the woods and a shiny Eletrike in a horde. I've encountered a lot of shinies in my games, but my best reaction was finding a shiny Latios in Alpha Sapphire at 3 in the morning. O_O

LKyogre

My first shiny was a Torchic.While playing over Emerald.I freaked out and called my two cousins and my sis who was doing the Nuzlocke challenge with me.I named him KFC

_LightMeww_

I remember my first ever Shiny encounter was a Shiny Haunter in Pokemon Pearl when I was only 8 years old. I encountered it in Turnback Cave and was surprised.

Bowlbasaur

In almost twenty years playing pokemon I've never been fortunate enough to just run into a shiny without trying, but once I learned about chain fishing in Pokemon X, I tried it and got myself a shiny Poliwhirl within the first few minutes. I was so excited lol

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I remember my first ever Shiny encounter was a Shiny Haunter in Pokemon Pearl when I was only 8 years old. I encountered it in Turnback Cave and was surprised.

Please tell me you caught it somehow

Smokin' weedle

My first shiny was a shiny gotherita. Not that different, so i caught it. Didn't really ever use it. I always get the least changing shinys, like a plusle... Marvellous

REMARCABLE

First shiny I encountered that wasn't obligatory Shiny Gyarados was a Shiny Jumpluff in Soul Silver

It was in the Safari Zone, 10 points to whoever guesses what happened next

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
I was depressed, the first shiny I encountered was killed by my own hands, I didn't realize it was shiny until it died... It was a shiny poocheyena,... it eas cute

Well I did know about shinies when I encountered my first (wild one), since a friend of mine had a shiny pichu back then (which in fact turned out to not be that rare in gold and silver, but I digress). I encountered a shiny golbat in the cave prior to the elite four in silver. It learned me a valuable lesson to always stock up on pokeballs... After using my few ultra balls and failing (scared of KOing it) I had no choice but to run away/kill it (I do not know what I did in the end but it does not change the result). I remember being really bummed back then, but knowing how mundane golbats are these days I do not care much about it anymore.

My first actual caught shiny was a shiny spheal in ruby. I remember being extremely happy with it, since I really liked walrein. As such it became my second in command walrein in my team (of course named shiny =p). The other shiny I got in ruby was also due to pure luck, almost even missing it: late at night I was diving under Sootopolis for what I think was some shards for the evolutionary stones (or just a relicanth, I do not know). I was so tired that I did not see the sparkles of a shiny clampearl I encountered. The colours of it aren't that different from the regular sprite, so I barely noticed the difference, capturing it just to be sure. In the end that became my shiny gorrebyss which has completed all of the Hoenn and Sinnoh contests, having over 50 contest ribbons (I should transfer it to the newer games one day).

In Leafgreen I managed to stumble upon a shiny herracross, and again I was extremely excited just running into one.

In Diamond I've gotten a lot of shinies, but through hunting and that did diminish the excitement a lot (using the pokeradar became too easy and more of a chore).

In Hearthgold I stumbled upon a shiny mareep, which I remember made me quite happy (distinctly remember that I made a mistake in a MMORPG that day which nearly made me lose all my ingame currency. This shiny and the fact that my brother managed to correct the mistake really turned the day around), but by then I knew of natures and saw that it wasn't any good.

In Alpha Sapphire my first shiny was an eevee and that really got me to jump in the air from excitement: I was hunting for it using the then still unconfirmed chaining method. Not only that, this was the first pokemon that could be a competitively able pokemon, ending up as my timid 252sp att 252spd Jolteon =)
My second shiny In Alpha Sapphire was a calculated one: I saw some video's on the run away method for hunting shiny latios and specifically got a shiny charm to hunt it. Using a synchronizer, not only did I manage to catch one (in a luxury ball), but also a timid one with 4 maxed IV's. And in the 500 encounters needed I apparently also triggered the 1/20000 chance for pokerus. This has been the most luck I have had to date.

Finally, in pokemon Moon I was just chaining some ditto's for breeding when a blue one appeared out of nowhere. Turns out it has 29/31/31/31/29/31 IV's as well, which did make me quite happy, but considering the rough period I have been going through I think I can not fully comprehend the luck I had here.

Last edited:

xEryChan

Demon Child
My first shiny was a shiny Golbat in Alpha Sapphire. I was going through the seafloor cavern when I encountered it and it really caught me off guard. I wasn't shiny hunting or anything, I just randomly encountered it. It always seems that when I actually start shiny hunting, I never find a shiny but when I'm not, I always find them. It's weird.

Lunala

Banned
Can't quite remember what my first shiny even was, let alone my reaction to it. Think it might have been Butterfree or something. In which case I would have thought "that is one messed up looking Butterfree. Why is it sparkling?"

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
"Huh? This Oddish is kinda weird... I guess I'll catch it."

I found it in the RSE safari and it was just boxed forever because I already had a Bellossom on the team. I didn't realise shinies were a thing much, much later.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Not counting the red Gyarados, my first shiny was either a Spearow, Venonat or Tentacool, also in Silver version. I remember catching all three, but I don't recall in which order. However, old GBC graphics being what they were, the shiny sprites weren't all that different from the normal sprites, and this was long before the days of early accessible internet so I wasn't really sure what made them all that special aside from a few sparkles like Gyarados had. I do remember the sparkles when they appeared, so I figured it was worth catching them, but then I stuck them in the box because none of them were all that great.

My first Shiny was in HGSS. In the cutt between north of Celadon and before Eurateak City. The route in between you can access the route without scaring away the roaming pokemon. In that patch a Vulpix and the Nidoran line was availabe. Nidoran male being my all time fave. So I hunkered down for some REs. The first pokemon i saw shine was a little light red fox, Vulpix. I became head over heels for it. The Blue fire Ninetails was exquisite. It had a calm nature and i was determined to use it. The calm nature helped its SpD and I always tried to provide sun for it when building teams. The added physic side was a plus. I always hoped they would expanded on Ninetails pokedex term but it never happened. Still have this all ev'd and exquisite as ever.

Ps
At this time im learning again all about pokemon and telling my cousins ab it as i do it. I was at their house playing when i encountered it.

Last edited:
It's sad to tell it, but... I defeated my first shiny pokémon. That happened 'cause I was training and watching TV at the same time xD

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
My sister and I went to the Pokemon Center in NYC back in...was it 2003? There was a machine on the 2nd floor that gifted a Pokemon to your game cartridge once a week. I'm not sure how it calibrated what kind of Pokemon to send to the game, but it gave us a shiny Suicune. We didn't understand the concept of shinies at the time, but we knew it was special because our Pokedex still showed a Suicune running around since we hadn't caught it. Either way, we were overjoyed that the machine gave us a special Suicune.

As wild shinies go, my first was in XD: Gale of Darkness and it was a shiny Surskit at the oasis poke spot. I was flipping out and I eventually caught it, named it Lucky (go figure), and it's still on that game. I should probably hunt down a GC link cable to get it.

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
I was so surprised because it was so fast! I was hunting for Pikipek a week before and it 60 encounters I lost the calling one due to Struggle (even though the move total was supposed to be 70). Then a day later I encountered a shiny encounter in a shorter amount of time! How lucky am I?