• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

while playing Soul Silver, i found a shiny onix near the end of Victory road. I was so excited because i felt it was a cooler looking shiny then some of the others. I then evolved it into a gold steelix and hes awesome

DioBrandoTHEWORLD

Mad Scientist!
My first Shiny Pokemon was an Kabuto(Green color) in Pokemon Fire Red when I was a kid. I thought: ''What is this?'' LOL

And yeah... I got him from the Fossil.

Leonhart

Imagineer
My first Shiny was the Red Gyarados from Gold/Silver/Crystal. I was a naive kid back then however, because I thought it was the only Shiny Pokemon in the games. It wasn't until a few years later when I played Ruby that I realized that all Pokemon had Shiny forms.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My first Shiny was the Red Gyarados from Gold/Silver/Crystal. I was a naive kid back then however, because I thought it was the only Shiny Pokemon in the games. It wasn't until a few years later when I played Ruby that I realized that all Pokemon had Shiny forms.

What was your second shiny? Did you learn from discovering it or did you already know shinies come in all shapes and sizes

Apart from the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage which I deliberately Ko'd because 'my blue one was cooler'

I found a shiny Raticate at Route 10. Caught it... jumped up and down in excitement. Dropped my Gameboy and the batteries fell out.

...... I had not saved the game

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Apart from the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage which I deliberately Ko'd because 'my blue one was cooler'

I found a shiny Raticate at Route 10. Caught it... jumped up and down in excitement. Dropped my Gameboy and the batteries fell out.

...... I had not saved the game

I'm really sorry for you man. If I ever get more than one shiny Rattata, I'd give one to you.

Which Gameboy are we talking about, Color or Advance?

I'm really sorry for you man. If I ever get more than one shiny Rattata, I'd give one to you.

Which Gameboy are we talking about, Color or Advance?

Hahahaha thanks man. That is just one of a number of shiny fails of mine.

I was playing GBA gold version on a Gameboy Advance - my parents were late to give me a handheld console for a birthday present.

huxord

Ahh, I Remember my first shiny, way back when i was really young... It was in my copy of heart gold, and it was a shiny hoppip! Well, my brother actually found it, but it was my game lol. My brother was like "oh my god hunter, is that a shiny?" and i replyed "Oh my god!..." Evolved it up to a jumpluff, and sadly, deleted that save

RIP Jumpluff, you will forever be missed...

The very first shiny I encountered was a Numel back in Pokemon Ruby, however since I didn't know what a shiny was at the time, I ran away from it. I did however make up for that by retrieving the shiny Dragonite from the White Treehollow and catching a shiny Purrlion soon after in White 2.

Espmaster

The first shiny I ever found was a Wurmple, in Route 102. I thought it was cool, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by it being a Wurmple.
Actually, I'm not sure if this one was first, or if the first one I ever found was that Golbat in Sky Pillar. I found it while climbing to catch Rayquaza, and the only Poke Ball I had was the Master Ball. I wanted to use the Master Ball on Rayquaza, so I had to make the hard choice to run away.

Vroomer

A substantial portion of my reactions are subdued. Because I find them at night when my wife & kids are sleeping.

I would've jumped, danced, & shouted when Shiny Cresseila popped - but my kids were asleep. Quietly "screaming" YES & fist pumping was all I could do.

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I remember my first touch of different coloured pokemon.... having your gba pokemon on pokemon stadium and when they have good nicknames they will be off coloured. I always thought that was the coolest, and I know it doesn't really count. Other than that my first shiny was a Slugma in my gold version while going down from Celadon to Fuschia. My gold unfortunely did not have a lasting battery and my files will not save anymore.

PKxAndulu

My first shiny was a Zubat in Pokemon Gold for the Gameboy Colour. I only remember how I acknowledged the shiny sparkle around the Zubat and just felt overwhelmed. That being said my story shiny Red Gyrados made me look into the whole shiny factor. After I reed up on how shiny Pokemon appear I told myself not to care so much about Variant Pokemon it will kill you I told myself. However I continued to play Pokemon as I wanted and I would say I spend a lot of my time playing Pokemon so eventually you see more shiny Pokemon. The point is I knew that if I started shiny hunting that's it Ive almost given myself no endgame. I enjoy Pokemon a lot I'm glad I gave myself what I feel is a huge task that I may never complete. Id like to thank everyone on this thread for letting me share that amazing moment when you first encountered that shiny Pokemon! Good times! GL HF!

When I got my first proper shiny (Togedemaru), it was kind of early in the morning so I had to stop myself from making any noises so I didn't disturb my family. I wanted to sit there yelling "OH MY GOD!" though.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I was excited when I found a Shiny Pidgey because even though it didn't look amazing, it was my first Shiny and it was memorable.

A bit lackluster actually. I ran into a shiny Pidgey while backtracking in gold. I ran away from it wondering why the animation took longer than usual.