• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My very first shiny was a green rattata in heart gold, the thing is it was before I even got the pokedex and pokeballs yet. I was practically pulling my hair out at if I should knock it out, or run away. I sat there for twenty minutes before I ended up defeting it.

I am so so sorry. You should hope to get a shiny Alolan Rattata

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
My first Shiny other than the Gyarados in G/S/C (which I thought was a one-off, didn't actually know shinies were a thing) was a grey Staryu I found in Gold while fishing in Olivine City about 15 years ago. I figured it was some sort of bug at first, so I just kept it in my PC to show my friends (I guess none of them knew what a shiny was either, cause they never mentioned it to me...). I didn't actually know what a shiny was exactly until quite a bit later when a friend of mine showed me his collection of shinies on Crystal.

your_worst_nightmare

Pokerman Master
My first shiny I encountered was a Sunkern in crystal version. I was very extatic and thankfully I knew what shiny Pokémon where, though I had never encountered them before. Though when I did find Sunkern I was slightly skeptical because in crystal version the color difference is very slight. I was level grinding at the time I encountered it so of course I was doing something else as well to keep the boredom away. I looked back down at my game system and noticed the Sunkern. My first though was "is this a shiny?.. .. it doesn't look like one.. but it looks a little different..." so even though I doubted that it was I caught it anyway and sure enough it was. Funny thing is I had to encounter another Sunkern and capture it to compare the two to make sure my suspicions were correct. :p

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
First reaction to my very first non Gyrados Shiny was simply "Catch it! Catch tha thing NOW!!!!!" I think it was either a Spearow that felll out of a tree or a male Nidoran in Crystal.

Xionea

Half a centaur
Not counting the Red Gyarados, it was a Shiny Graveler. I didn't catch it, but it's not because it exploded like you might have thought. This was back in Pokemon Crystal, Emerald's been out for awhile at this time, and I thought "I haven't played Crystal in a long time, lets play it again." So I booted up that cartridge after having not played it in a couple years, went into Mt. Silver, and the very first Pokemon I ran into was the Shiny Graveler. Now, me being the stupid kid I was, saw the sparkles, didn't think too much about it because I thought the sparkles were how every Pokemon appeared in Crystal, and ran because whatever, it's a Graveler. Little Me pauses and thinks "Wait, was that a Shiny?" So I ran into a bunch of Pokemon, no sparkles, no sparkles, no sparkles. You know I was kicking myself for that one. Also I think I only had 1 Ultra Ball in my bag if I recall correctly, so the odds of me catching it were pretty low anyways.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My first shiny I encountered was a Sunkern in crystal version. I was very extatic and thankfully I knew what shiny Pokémon where, though I had never encountered them before. Though when I did find Sunkern I was slightly skeptical because in crystal version the color difference is very slight. I was level grinding at the time I encountered it so of course I was doing something else as well to keep the boredom away. I looked back down at my game system and noticed the Sunkern. My first though was "is this a shiny?.. .. it doesn't look like one.. but it looks a little different..." so even though I doubted that it was I caught it anyway and sure enough it was. Funny thing is I had to encounter another Sunkern and capture it to compare the two to make sure my suspicions were correct. :p

Shiny Sunflora is thankfully much more identifiable, if not that interesting

Shαde

My first shiny that I found was Hoothoot early on in my Silver game. I knew what shinies were, and I had also seen the anime. And, being a young rebellious sport, went "NOPE" and knocked it out because I sure didn't want to play through my game with a shiny Noctowl just like Ash...

The best part is that I have a shiny Hoothoot in my boxes somewhere right now because it was Wonder Traded straight out of a Friend Safari by someone. Eugh.

Jadgirl04

Lilac Dungeoneer
First shiny would've been the red gyarados back in Silver, but the second shiny I found was an Electrike Just north of Slateport in Emerald. Or rather, several Electrike. I had the most insane luck and to this day I've still got no idea how I ran into one 5-6 times. Didn't know what a shiny was so I was a little scared of them, but eventually caught one because it was bothering me so much XD

When I found out what a shiny was about a year and a half later, I checked what a shiny Electrike looked like and realised I had the prevo to what i thought was one of the coolest shiny Pokemon. I evolved him and cloned him using the battle frontier glitch, and now he's up in my copy of Y. Where Manectricite is replaced by Houndoomite. So I've never had a shiny mega Manectrc yet ; - ;

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Besides Red Gyarados my first shiny was that really ugly green shiny mankey, on a copy of Leaf Green which was corrupted so it randomly deleted my save data. So I wasn't too excited for that one.

Next one was a shiny claydol with a bold nature, I can't wait to send it up to Sun and Moon to give it some decent IVs, I've already got it EV Trained with a decent stall moveset.

Last edited:

WolfeyStar

Ganbaruby!
My first shiny was a shiny Nidorina in the HeartGold. I was like "A SHINY! OH MY GOD!" But then I realized I was in the Safari Zone.

Guess who saw a shiny run away?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Aside from the mandatory Gyarados,
I restarted my Crystal file after playing some Gen 3 games which had just come out. When I got to that cave right before Azalea, a shiny Rattata. Rather than feeling excited, I felt genuinely pissed as there is no way to get a gen 2 game Pokemon to gen 3.
Years later, playing HGSS I finally found another wild shiny, but guess where? Safari Zone? Yep, bye shiny Drowzee it was nice seeing you.

Caught a shiny Gible in Platinum next and felt so happy.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Aside from the mandatory Gyarados,
I restarted my Crystal file after playing some Gen 3 games which had just come out. When I got to that cave right before Azalea, a shiny Rattata. Rather than feeling excited, I felt genuinely pissed as there is no way to get a gen 2 game Pokemon to gen 3.
Years later, playing HGSS I finally found another wild shiny, but guess where? Safari Zone? Yep, bye shiny Drowzee it was nice seeing you.

Caught a shiny Gible in Platinum next and felt so happy.

That's rough. At least getting a shiny in Crystal was really difficult, but, yeah, it sucks that you and your Rattata can't still be together in modern games.
I am plagued by fear and anxiety of running into a shiny in the Safari Zone. It sounds like a nightmare.
But hey, you did get the Gible!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
In terms of generation, my first shiny ever in Gen 3 was Spoink, my first shiny in Gen 4 was Quagsire, Gen 5 was Swadloon and Gen 6 was Nosepass. The first was what I searched for after discovering shiny Pokemon exist, the second was from the Pastoria Marsh, the third was just a plain shock and the fourth was a horde that I passed through catching non-shiny Pokemon

Izanagi777

Well surprisingly, i never actually caught Shiny pokemon before.. The only Shiny Pokemon that i have ever had is the Red Gyarados back in HG/SS and make it not only my first shiny pokemon, but also my only Shiny Pokemon that i have ever had.. Well, as for the reaction, perhaps not as exacting as if we find the actual shiny pokemon in the wild for sure..

Ajduk

Why did this Gyarados give my gameboy a seizure? Must be something wrong with the game.
Eh... (faints it and saves like nothing happened)

Yes, my first playthrough of pokemon gold was on a colorless gameboy.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
In terms of my reaction to the aforementioned shinies:
* Spoink-After two hours I found it. Keep in mind I never thought of getting a shiny until I discovered Serebii.net, because before that I didn't know they existed. I guess some of the magic is lost because of it
* Quagsire-WTF?! Oh God please be caught please be caught YES!
* Swadloon-Where's that Eeve-wait, what?
* Nosepass-Neat

Echo Nacyl

"Dammit! This isn't my game!"
^Reaction to a shiny Poochyena found on a friend's Emerald while helping to find his Latios. Fortunately, he let me keep it.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
"Dammit! This isn't my game!"
^Reaction to a shiny Poochyena found on a friend's Emerald while helping to find his Latios. Fortunately, he let me keep it.

You have a good friend

Echo Nacyl

You have a good friend

Yeah. He reasoned that I encountered it, and thus it was rightfully mine. To this day shiny Mightyena is one of my favorites.

My first own-game one was a Starly in Diamond while riding a bus. I was like "OMG CATCH IT". Amusingly, both the Pooch and the Starbird are Lax natures. I love them just them same anyway, and they were the beginning for the shiny-hunter I became.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I reset my game thinking it was glitched...got yelled at by my friends for my lack of wisdom.