• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your reaction to your first shiny?

FowTech95

Random Passerby
My first shiny was a Raticate in Pokémon Diamond. I was just breezing through the route between Fight Area and Survival Area (forgot the route number) when it randomly appears. I shouted when I saw it and threw Poké Balls without weakening it.

ShinyIncineroar

Back in 2008 I was on a car ride to my grandmothers when I was just messing around in my Pearl game. Went to the Pokemon Mansion to see what the swarming Pokemon was, ended up being Minun. Just was messing around to find it for Pokedex and then to my surprise I see green instead of blue and it was a shiny Minun. I remember I gasped so loud that my mom thought that I just saw a car crash LOL.

Ended up catching it and naming it Mint, it's gone now though because I don't have my Pearl cartridge anymore.

Isaac52

My VERY FIRST shiny was a chansey in the safari zone of firered when I was hunting lucky eggs. Every regular chansey up to the point had gotten away, like 8 of them so I was like: "Is this the reward for my patience, oh lord?"

Then I sat there for about 10 minutes after hearing the flee animation after just throwing some bait :(

(I haven't been to church since)

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
My first one was a Shiny Whirlpede in B2, it appeared on top of the waterfall in Lostlorn Forest in a double encounter. I knocked out the other one and gently whittled its HP down and caught it. Next one was a Shiny Metang in W2 in the Giant Chasm, also a double battle, caught it and evolved it into a beautiful white and gold Metagross, who now resides in Y at level 100. And again in B2, a random shiny Sunkern. They were my first three random encountered Shinies, all of whom now reside in my X and Y games, I was afraid I'd lose my B2 and W2 files since I had read about it happening to others, so I rescued them via the Poke Transporter and Poke Bank for my X and Y games. After them I caught many a Shiny in my XYORAS games, mostly from the safaris, chain fishing, and horde battles. I have yet to find me a seventh gen Alolan shiny, I am working on my Sun Pokedexes to get my charm before the Poke Bank comes out this month. I am trying to evolve my Type Null and Riolu, both of them are damnable friendship evolvers...they do no like me enough to evolve.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
My VERY FIRST shiny was a chansey in the safari zone of firered when I was hunting lucky eggs. Every regular chansey up to the point had gotten away, like 8 of them so I was like: "Is this the reward for my patience, oh lord?"

Then I sat there for about 10 minutes after hearing the flee animation after just throwing some bait :(

(I haven't been to church since)

I laughed harder at this than I probably should have. Sorry man.

Blasting Toise

My first shiny ever was Geodude in Sapphire I think- I didn't even know what shinies are- I just thought that golden Geodude omg and caught it. It appeared from the Rock Smash Rock near Meteor Falls. First I feared it is sort of odd glitch (I was still a kid) but then I reasoned that it must be some hidden easter egg sort of thing since it had own shining animation and all- later I learned about shinies but then I had already started a new game and Geodude was left in old save and overwritten... kinda sad really. I also got Pokerus in that save and got it again later in another save.

I have my second ever shiny still though, shiny Nidoran F- now Nidoqueen. It's kinda funny story since I stored her and all my other cool pokemon from 3rd gen to my Pokemon Box- save and I kept the memory card even though I sold all my pokemon games including Box that came with Colosseum (back then I thought I stop playing Pokemon but later I returned to franchise) Then after many years I found used Colosseum with Pokemon Box and I decided to buy it- only to notice that my old save is still on my memory card and there was my shiny Nidoqueen as well :D And she was also a lucky catch on Safari Zone. I didn't even remember until I found her from the Box.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
My first shiny was a Totodile in Crystal, the very first time that I picked up a Pokemon game. Needless to say, I had no idea what a shiny was or that it was even any different, but later I learned that it was special. I'm still so upset that I was never able to bring him along as a Feraligatr to all my new adventures... :( But I bred a shiny Totodile on X recently in his honor, and he'll be going on new adventures with me in Alola as a spiritual successor xD

First wild one was Unown, I think!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My first shiny was a Totodile in Crystal, the very first time that I picked up a Pokemon game. Needless to say, I had no idea what a shiny was or that it was even any different, but later I learned that it was special. I'm still so upset that I was never able to bring him along as a Feraligatr to all my new adventures... :( But I bred a shiny Totodile on X recently in his honor, and he'll be going on new adventures with me in Alola as a spiritual successor xD

First wild one was Unown, I think!

Your first Pokemon ever was a shiny? That's exceedingly lucky. What Unown form?

mtqc

MY BEANS!
Your first Pokemon ever was a shiny? That's exceedingly lucky. What Unown form?

I know! Even luckier that I wasn't as stupid of a kid as usual and saved my game! XD I really miss him, it really bums me out that the GBC games weren't compatible with the others.

I thiiiink it was U? I honestly can't remember, it wasn't a huge deal to me when I got it cuz... yanno. Unown. I honestly don't even remember what game it was in. I'm thinking a gen 3 game for some reason, but were Unown even attainable in those?

Nockturne

Ok it's by no means my first shiny but I'm playing through LeafGreen and my first encounter in the Safari Zone was a shiny Nidoran female, which is the first time I think I've ever encounterd a shiny in the wild where I wasn't hunting for it or accidentally chaining it. (like I did with my first ever shiny a wild Audino in White 2) So this is my first full odds shiny, unless the Safari Zone has better odds and I'm just forgetting?

As for my reaction I immediately came here to post about it, the game is literally still on the "do you want to nickname" screen :D

Elite4woolfy

✽✽✽✽✽✽
My first shiny (excluding Gyarados), that I actually found was a Wooper in HG/SS. It was a very long time ago, and I ran out of Pokeballs to catch it.

The first shiny I caught was a Horsea in XY. I was overly excited to actually have a shiny Pokemon, and now the Horsea is a Kingdra.

Pyukumuku

I had only ever dreamt of shinies, until, one fateful day, looking for a pineco in HeartGold, a wild GOLDEN hoothoot appeared. I was so pleased beacause I thought it was a glitch (I was 12 and didn't know better) and caught it! Then I found out it was shiny, which was even better. Also, in my first black file, I got two shinies without even trying (Patrat and Deerling) Also recently found shiny gulpin

Luxara

Dark-Type Trainer
My first shiny was Poochyena in Emerald, on the East route just outside Fortree. Given that Poochyena/Mightyena were my favourite Pokémon (& still are) and I'd never seen a shiny before, 10 year old me was pretty damn excited. Straight away called someone in my class and freaked out over the phone when I caught it. Still got that Shiny 11 years later, now in Moon as a Level 100 Mightyena, so it's pretty cool that we both grew up. I'll never forgive my younger self for nicknaming him in all capitals though.

Hinashou

I honestly don't really care at all about shiny's :(

Jack200127

Call Me Lotus
My First Shiny Was a Shiny Absol in Pokemon X I got it when I first got the Game, I got the game and my brother introduced wonder trades to me. So when I got a Scatterbug I then quickly went to wonder trade and closed my eyes praying I would get something good. When my brother looked he said it was a shiny Absol and I flipped some dude traded me a Shiny Level 1 Absol named Snow(Female) and Hasty Nature and Ability Super Luck I don't remember the moves . I then used that thing non-stop through my whole play trough of Pokemon X and I went to sell Pokemon X when I did I remembered all my Pokemon I left behind But when sun and moon came out I noticed that in my brothers Pokebank that he had all of the Pokemon from my X game that I sold turns out he had traded over my comp Pokemon and had put it in Pokebank and today I still have that Absol

Yes I Know I'm An Absol Fanatic Call Me "The Absol Pokemaniac"
;359; ;359; ;359; ;359;

P.S (My second Favorite Pokemon Is Dialga)
;483;

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My first shiny was Poochyena in Emerald, on the East route just outside Fortree. Given that Poochyena/Mightyena were my favourite Pokémon (& still are) and I'd never seen a shiny before, 10 year old me was pretty damn excited. Straight away called someone in my class and freaked out over the phone when I caught it. Still got that Shiny 11 years later, now in Moon as a Level 100 Mightyena, so it's pretty cool that we both grew up. I'll never forgive my younger self for nicknaming him in all capitals though.

I thought that Gen 6 and on they nullify the all caps thing

Cat's Eye Draco

The first shiny I remember coming across was either a Rhyhorn in Platinum or a Zubat in... some other game. Anyway, I thought it was some kind of glitch and caught it/them to see what would happen. (Nothing, it turned out... :p)

Last edited:
My first shiny was a Krabby in Gold Version. I was super excited, but panicking at the same time. Took three of the five pokeballs I had on me. It was still pretty early in the game.

Scy07tie

First shiny for me was in Crystal Version,

The egg I got hatched into a Shiny Elekid.

Now in Pokémon Moon, my first shiny (again from hatching an egg) was a Serious Nature Gothita