• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your team in X/Y?

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
My team was:

Greninja
Charizard (X)
Meowstick
Lucario
Florges
Tyrantrum

treatyofversigh

My X team was: Delphox ("Mars"), Lapras ("Peppermint"), Florges ("Gumdrop"), Pangoro ("Pocky"), Aegislash ("Musketeer"), and Tyrantrum ("Jawbreaker"). I had a candy name theme that time around, as you can tell, haha. I don't think I ever finished Y, even though I own it, but I think I started with a Chespin in that one.

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
My X team was: Delphox ("Mars"), Lapras ("Peppermint"), Florges ("Gumdrop"), Pangoro ("Pocky"), Aegislash ("Musketeer"), and Tyrantrum ("Jawbreaker"). I had a candy name theme that time around, as you can tell, haha. I don't think I ever finished Y, even though I own it, but I think I started with a Chespin in that one.
I am a fan of the candy theme you had with the names, I remember I did something similar in Gen IV but the names were based on Greek gods.

zolios

I played through my Pokemon Y three times, once with each of the starters.

My first playthrough was back when the X and Y first came out in 2013 and my team was:
- Greninja
- Talonflame
- Venusaur (mega)
- Pangoro
- Tyrantrum
- Granbull

I did my second playthrough a few years ago and my team was:
- Delphox
- Gogoat
- Toxicroak
- Aerodactyl (mega)
- shiny Kingdra (from chain fishing method)
- Stunfisk

My third playthrough was last year, in 2021, and my team was:
- Chesnaught
- Pyroar (male)
- Florges
- Swanna
- Lucario (mega)
- Goodra

My favorite team is definitely the first one because of the nostalgia and all the memories from the time Gen 6 was brand new. My third team was also very fun and memorable, mostly because of Goodra since I love that goofy dragon. The second team was the least special/memorable for me but I still liked it, especially the derpy Stunfisk being my MVP and taking down Diantha's mega Gardevoir all by itself with a few Sludge Bombs. Fun times but I wish we got the third version or the sequels since I feel like a lot of stuff had been left unsaid or unfinished when it comes to the Kalos region, so much potential wasted...

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
658.png
663.png
282.png
003-m.png
695.png
448-m.png

Pretty standard team really - it has the Fire / Water / Grass core, an Electric type, a Fairy type and the free Mega Lucario you get from Korrina. I haven't played XY properly since before 2016 so my memory is a bit hazy on the nicknames and why I chose them? But they were a solid squad. I liked Greninja's weird moveset (it gets Smack Down, Extrasensory and Round via level-up), Talonflame's Fire typing was really neat, Gardevoir is pretty solid as a Fairy type, Mega Venusaur is tanky and beats other Fairy types, Heliolisk is fast and also has a funky moveset (Surf, Grass Knot, Dark Pulse, etc.) and Mega Lucario is absolutely broken as hell in this game. Fun times! Shame XY aren't interesting enough games to bring me back for another playthrough, I'd like to try out Chesnaught...

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I played X SO many times so had many teams. But mostly chose Fennekin as a starter

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I played X SO many times so had many teams. But mostly chose Fennekin as a starter
If Delphox's design was tweaked just a little bit, I would have chosen it. Fennekin and Braixen have such great designs but Delphox is kind of mid for me.

Xuxuba

- Chesnaught as my starter
- Charizard that i got from Sycamore
- Speed Boost Blaziken that i received from one of the first events
- A huge power Azumarill that i caught at the start of the game

These are the ones i remember. I think i might have brought Mawile and Korrina's Lucario to the team aswell? Not sure.

Since Megas were just introduced, i tried to have as many pokémon capable of mega evolving as possible.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I kept most of my team the same but these stayed on my team during the E4

Greninja
Aegislash
Delphox (Wonder Trade really early, came in handy against Serena's Chesnaught)
Noivern
Dragonite
Sylveon (This Sylveon was a real beast throughout most of the game)

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
652.png
681.png
373.png
464.png
009-m.png
716.png

I have played through XY a few times now, but my most recent team is probably my favorite.

Chespin was a starter that I hadn't used before, so it was fun to learn about its playstyle. It's a huge tank in the early game, but also doesn't carry many advantages. While Rollout takes care of Viola in the first Gym, it's still weak against the Fairy/Psychic/Ice Gyms and Korrina's Hawlucha. Even in the Rock Gym, you have Amaura's Refrigerate Ability and Tyrunt's Dragon type to deal with. It's slightly embarrassing to say, but this Chesnaught run was only time I've ever lost to a boss in this game (Korrina and Diantha). Never lost when picking Greninja or Delphox.

Salamence is a late bloomer, and another Pokemon who added a bit of challenge to my campaign. It doesn't learn many good moves while it's a Shelgon, and it gains experience slower than others. But that's part of what makes Pokemon like Salamence rewarding. This was my first time using one, since Bagon were previously late game encounters in RSE.

Rhyhorn is similarly another late bloomer. You don't have access to the best rock or ground moves until the game is nearly over (EQ and Rock Slide require Waterfall, which I think is a great decision). Then you have to do a bit of digging to find the Protector for Rhyperior. It isn't a pseudo, but raising one felt like the same kind of experience. As a side note, I think it suits Calem/Serena pretty well what with Grace being a Rhyhorn racer.

Blastoise was my second starter, and yet another Pokemon who had to work with middling moves for most of the game. The starter can't take full advantage of Mega Launcher (no Egg Moves), so your best bet is to carry Water Pulse and a handful of normal attacks like Skull Bash and Protect.

Aegislash is generally reliable and I wanted a steel type to compliment the party. Probably the most consistent damage dealer thanks to Swords Dance.

Xerneas is one of my all-time favorites, but I never used during the story before. It was fun, and not as overpowered as I thought it would be. I'm used to playing with it online battles, so Geomancy with no Power Herb plays like more of a risk.

Kamex25

In X, my team was Delphox, Gallade, Vespiquen, Aurorus, Golurk, and Blastoise. I also used Heliolisk and Lucario on my team during my playthrough.

My team in Y was Chesnaught, Talonflame, Florges, Goodra, Meowstic (Male), and Lapras. Gengar was also a member of my team for a while.

I picked Fennekin as my starter in X and Delphox turned out to be very useful against the Kalos Gym Leaders and Elite 4. Its Psychic type comes in handy against Korrina and it blazed through Wulfric's team with ease. I originally used Heliolisk on my team, though I swapped it for Vespiquen just to give me a challenge. This game is actually quite hard if you use less powerful Pokémon on your team. I actually struggled against Lysandre since I didn't use a lot of tough 'mons on my team. In addition, I lost the first game against the Elite Four since I didn't use an electric type to easily defeat Siebold's water types. However, my Aurorus with Thunder managed to defeat Siebold's Gyarados. I first used Blastoise with Rain Dance so that Thunder lands 100% against his Pokémon. It's also useful that my Aurorus had Freeze-Dry which is super effective against water types. I picked Squirtle from Professor Sycamore since I really liked Mega Blastoise. It's nice that it can learn Dark Pulse which it gains a boost from the Mega Launcher ability. I used Golurk since I didn't use one in Gen 5, and it was helpful that it can learn powerful moves like Phantom Force.

In Y, I picked Chespin and Chesnaught helped me tremendously against the Elite Four. It's a nice defensive tank and I liked that Chesnaught has a good movepool. Talonflame was useful against Wulfric and fairy types since it can learn Steel Wing. I picked Charmander from Professor Sycamore, though I didn't really use it much since I already had Talonflame as a fire type on my team. My Florges was a handy cleric since it can learn Wish to heal my Pokémon, and Goodra was just a super cuddly dragon that I wanted to use as a team member. I used Gengar with its Mega Evolution to defeat Valerie, though I swapped it with Meowstic because it's one of my favorite Kalos Pokémon. It did somewhat help my team with Light Screen, and it was quite useful against Drasna's Dragalge. I used the Lapras from the guy who gave it as a gift Pokémon, and it managed to defeat Siebold's water types with Rain Dance + Thunder. When I faced Diantha, I used my Talonflame with Steel Wing against Mega Gardevoir and won.

Besides that, I used Vibrava/Gabite against the Clemont's electric types in Lumiose City. You know, I really loved how large the Kalos Dex is, and the region has a variety of Pokémon available early in-game. This gave me a variety of Pokémon to choose from.

Kage-Pikachu

First Playthrough before discovering Greninja's awesomeness! (i avoided starter evolutions since i like being surprised)
Delphox
Talonflame
Mega Lucario/Pangoro (kung fu panda would have been awesome in gen 5)
Gogoat/Aurorus (i loved Aurorus)
Sylveon
Goodra/Aurorus

afterwards
Greninja
Talonflame
Goodra/Noivern (i switch them sometimes)
Heliolisk/Pyroar
Aegislash
Mega Lucario

pokeplayer9994

With my first playthroughs, I tend to follow a simple thing. There are 5 types I put on EVERY team. They are Fire, Water, Grass, Electric and Ground. I do a lot of research and choose them carefully. After that, I pick a final member that I want to experiment with. Hopefully, it doesn't hurt the team.

So, with that understanding, here's how my team for X went.

Delphox - This was due to the lack of interesting Fire Pokemon in the region. Also, Charizard is overrated.
Lapras - I have LOVED this Transport Pokemon since the beginning. When I got this as a Gift, I put this on the team, no question asked.
Roserade - Me: OMG! This is in the region!? Instant Main Team Pick!
Ampharos - I was SO glad this thing was in the region. I love the Electric Sheep!
Krookodile - Loved this Croc in Gen 5. Was glad it made it.
Sylveon - I wanted to experiment with the new Fairy-Type at the time. This felt like a good early pick.

Then came Y with a new understanding of the game. Here's how the team reshaped.

Greninja - I still think this frog is overrated, but an old friend made it on again. So I had little choice.
Talonflame - I had completely underestimated this bird. Never again! It goes on the team.
Roserade - Old friend who made it! I love it too much!
Jolteon - Wanted to use another Eeveelution and felt there wasn't a better Electric candidate for this team.
Flygon - I got a new found love for this dragon. It was a good pick in the end.
Mawile - I always had a soft spot for this Pokemon and I chose to give it a shot when I found it was a Fairy-Type. I don't regret that decision.

That's it!

I'm still wondering who will make the cut for the new region. Guess we'll see when Scarlet & Violet comes out.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I replayed Y before BDSP's release since I never finished a Kalos game all the way through. It had a rocky start but my team was actually pretty solid:
212-m.png
587.png
216.png
668-f.png
652.png
715.png
  • Mega Scizor (Roy)- The ace of my team. I've always wanted to use one & while it had its weaknesses, it was a good mix between a bulky powerhouse and a sweeper
  • Emolga (Imogen)- She was the weakest link on my team, but after my gym battle with Korrina she became a dark horse who was able to take down opponents with Encore, Nuzzle, & Volt Switch. It even helped me figure out how to use Emolga in SWSH competitive and it's now one of my best pokemon (it even took down Regieleki)
  • Teddiursa (Kobi)- My main trickster with moves like Charm, Dig, Play Rough, & Gunk Shot in its arsenal. I've always wanted to use one & I'm not that big a fan of Ursaring, so I left Kobi unevolved. Hes also pretty bulky if you EV train its defenses and slap an Eviolite on it. He was even able to survive Yveltal's Oblivion Wing
  • Female Pyroar (Céline)- She was a pretty decent special attacker, especially since I gave her a Metronome. She was definitely one of my more reliable pokemon, especially in the gym battle with Valerie
  • Chesnaught (Yannick)- I mixed up my team this time & waited until Coumarine City to hatch a Chespin. It wasn't as bulky as I initially hoped since I waited until the Essentia arc to evolve Quilladin into a Chesnaught, but it was still an impressive tank and it was fun to come up with unorthodox strategies
  • Noivern (Monica)- A pretty nice special attacking sweeper, but it was still the weakest member of my team.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I replayed this fantastic game so many times so had many teams
All Kalosian Pokemon are magic love them