1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What was your very first Pokémon game?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Jan 31, 2019.

1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

It’s simple - what was the very first Pokémon game you got your hands on and played?

Mine’s a tie between Yellow and Silver. I technically got Yellow first, but Silver came not long after. I preferred playing the latter to the former because it had better graphics and more Pokémon than in Gen 1.

GymTrainerAlex likes this.
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Yum! Turkey and Mashed Potatoes! Staff Member Moderator

Red, Blue and Yellow (used) from a friend during a Secret Santa event. Haven't looked back. Had fun battling, trading and so on. As for buying a game new, it was Silver version. Still my favorite and it's tied with Crystal as my favorite Pokemon game.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  3. TokoyamiTheDark

TokoyamiTheDark The Purple Karakasa

It was Red for me, and Blue for my brother. Later when Gen2 came out, I had Gold while my brother had Silver. We had so much fun. But he stopped at Gen3 due to the lack of owning a GBA, but I still went on to Gen7. However, my parents don't want me to have a Nintendo Switch (too expensive) so I guess Gen7 will be the last one that I'll play.

4. Yureishi

Yureishi Well-Known Member

Silver. Back on the day, it was the very first Pokémon game I had ever seen and after observing its mechanics, the desire of playing it literally drowned me.

5. I got Blue for my 7th birthday in 1999 during the massive pokemon craze.
    I still didn't understand English back then so it was quite a challenge to play it. Picked up a ton of English words and the base of the language from it.

6. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Pokemon Sapphire was my first game, though I had known about Pokemon since Generation 2. Fittingly, I was 10

7. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

I started with FireRed, then played Ruby. Since then, I've been into the franchise.

8. Cat's Eye Draco

Cat's Eye Draco Well-Known Member

Silver, closely followed by Sapphire a few months later. Before that, I think my brother had a Blue version that he got from a friend, but I don't remember if he ever let me play it or not.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  9. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Pokémon Red was my first game.

10. CapybaraMage

CapybaraMage Novice Shiny Hunter

Technically Silver from my cousin who was done with it, but I was so young I couldn’t figure out what to do and gave up. Then when I got a bit older my uncle gave me Sapphire for my birthday. I played the heck out of it.

11. Ignition

Ignition Obliterated a god with the power of friendship

I technically played Emerald first as my older brother and cousin would play it around the time I got into Pokèmon and they’d let me play along (being a toddler I just mashed buttons and got satisfaction from seeing bright colors from my actions lol) But my first game where I was competent and had full ownership was Diamond

12. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

Pokemon Yellow (first game I properly completed was Silver)

NovaBrunswick and Akkipeddi like this.
  13. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi The Great Seal

Pokemon Yellow as well. My big brother got the Gameboy color with a multi game cartridge, which had Red, Blue and Yellow. He used to play Red and Blue, and I occasionally used to see and play Red and Blue a bit, but it wasn't until Yellow that I finally started playing fully (and I was only 4 - 5 at that time lol, but I managed to finish it).

14. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

So you could’ve been a real Pokémon trainer. :D

15. bme™

bme™ "Could it be... the legend...?"

Pokemon Yellow way back when it first came out!

16. halloweenghost

halloweenghost Well-Known Member

The first Pokemon game I ever played? My friend owned Red version, and from time to time since I didn't have a Game Boy he would let me play his copy of red but I was not to advance was in the story so I was allowed to go back and train his Pokemon.

Now the first game I ever owned and truly became a trainer was in 1999 with Pokemon Yellow Version.

17. Thibideau

Thibideau Beautiful Midnight

Pokemon Blue, specifically because I was fond of Vulpix. My first team was very unusual too. Charizard, Clefable, Ninetails, Marowak, Vaporeon and Hitmonlee. I find it strange that I remember that all these years later.

18. dannymusic

dannymusic The Smiling Trombonist

Red and Blue! Got them at the same time, too. But I played Red much more frequently.

19. PixelBitHolocron95

PixelBitHolocron95 Master of all things tough!

Pokemon Ultra Sun. Got it around Black Friday. I actually play it a lot and I have beaten the entire game. Here is my team as of now:
    Primarina
    Dialga
    Heatran
    Black Kyurem* (*Fused with event Zekrom)
    Rotom-H
    Blastoise-Mega

20. SapphireRose

SapphireRose Morning☼Sun

Sounds like a fairly balanced and decent team to me! :)

Wow, wasn't expecting to see US as a first game, tbh. Welcome to the Pokémon fandom! Planning on getting any more games now that you're into the franchise?

As for me, my first game was Ruby. I didn't get into Pokémon until late elementary school, despite being old enough to be there from the beginning. The first Pokémon I learned about was Ledyba from one of my friends at recess. My cousin let me have his copy of Red for GB Color, but the first game I owned myself and beat (and replayed extensively) was Ruby. Later got Emerald as well, so gen 3 has a special place in my heart.

EDIT@NovaBrunswick: I suppose my surprise at people getting into Pokémon starting with gen 6 is making me show my age, lol. I feel old now.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019