• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your very first Pokémon game?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Pokemon Ultra Sun. Got it around Black Friday. I actually play it a lot and I have beaten the entire game.

Wow, wasn't expecting to see US as a first game, tbh. Welcome to the Pokémon fandom! Planning on getting any more games now that you're into the franchise?

I've heard of some people starting to play Pokémon in Gen 6, so it's not really that uncommon for someone to start with the more recent generations. A lot of people I see on this forum started with Gen 4.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Pokémon Yellow. I got it for my birthday that year. It was my first video game period. I even got the one with the special gameboy.

large.jpg

Funny you say that, because Yellow was actually my first Pokémon game, and it was on the Gameboy Colour. My GBC was purple though (which is my favourite colour), and it didn’t have Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Togepi or the Pokémon logo on it. I got Silver not long after and played that one more.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I remember playing basketball or soccer with 2 of my friends back in 2005/2006 and one of them said do you know about "FireRed"/"Leaf Green", I said no. He later arrived at my house and gave me a console with FireRed and I loved it, thus I begun loving Pokemon.

Last edited:

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Yellow was technically my first but I don't really remember it so I'll say leaf-green, I've listed all my pokemon games (so far) in my sig.

Last edited:

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The Red Version.
Almost 20 years ago, I got introduced to Pokémon thanks to my classmates who played the games. I got fascinated by those latters at the point my parents bought me a Game Boy (the one in Black and White) with Pokémon Red.

That wouldn’t be Pokémon Black and White? :p

Seventeen years ago, I received Pokémon Ruby from my father. But, technically, I started with Pokémon Crystal after my older brother got bored with it.

Seventeen? I feel old. o_O

M.P.

Retired
I got both Pokemon Diamond and Pearl at the same time (back then I didn't realize they were almost identical apart from some Pokemon). I think Pearl was the one I played first.

I got Pokemon Platinum as a gift in 2009 as an eight year old. Fell in love with the franchise after playing through it just once.

I did try playing a friend's copy of Diamond a year or two back, but back then I didnt really have a great understanding of things. And remember getting stuck on the first route or something. Therefore I recongnize Platinum as my first Pokemon game.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Pokémon Yellow. I got it for my birthday that year. It was my first video game period. I even got the one with the special gameboy.

large.jpg

I got it for my birthday as well. While I didn't get that Pikachu GameBoy Color (I saw it in person once, wew), I got it in a special Pikachu GameBoy pouch. It was great, still is one of my favorite birthday memories.

Znieh

Blue was my first game back in 1999 when I was 16, I played the crap out of that game starting it over at least a few times, but finally sticking to a save and getting all 151 without hacks (besides safari zone cheat) and clocking over 255 hours. What's funny though was a year before I saw Pokemon for the first time in a SEARS, and literally thought to myself "What kind of dumb Japanese stuff are kids into these days!"

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Blue was my first game back in 1999 when I was 16, I played the crap out of that game starting it over at least a few times, but finally sticking to a save and getting all 151 without hacks (besides safari zone cheat) and clocking over 255 hours. What's funny though was a year before I saw Pokemon for the first time in a SEARS, and literally thought to myself "What kind of dumb Japanese stuff are kids into these days!"

I got into Pokémon when the initial craze for it was kind of cooling down (around the time Gen 2 came out). I was still obsessed with anything that had "Pokémon" on it, however - I had a Psyduck backpack which I still surprisingly have after all these years, but the straps have long broken off. I also had the Zapdos and Elekid Poké-ROMs and the Pokémon Project Studio Red and Blue Versions for my PC (think Microsoft Publisher with Pokémon), but they were sold in a yard sale. I even had a sticker album at one point, which was in the Gen 3 era, and I had a Chikorita sticker from a pack of bubblegum. I stopped collecting Pokémon stuff after Gen 4 came out, but by Gen 5 I got back into it, and I'm now collecting figurines, cards and stickers like I used to do. And that's the story of my history of collecting Pokémon merchandise. :D

Blue version was my first back in the day though I think I've played more Green version as of now.

Wasn't Green (not LeafGreen) only in Japan?

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
The first game that I actually played? I think it was a bootleg copy of Sapphire that my brother decided to give to me when we traveled and bought it overseas. LOL. It played fine enough to allow me to beat the champion, but I think some parts of the game were glitchy and made me start back to some places (which confused me at the time). The cartridge lacked the blue color, misspelled Nintendo on the back, and seemed to have this weird, hardened glue-like substance in between the crack. The worst part was that once I finished the game, the save file got erased. And every time I made a new game, that file got erased soon after. Wah.

But the first ever Pokémon game that I’ve truly owned myself was Leafgreen. The moment when I finally got my own video game console (a GBA SP) and got Leafgreen I must have felt, “Yes! I can finally play my very own legit game and not have my brother hand me down his fake stuff!” Hahaha! I treasure so many memories of it and how much time I’ve spent on it (almost 600 hours recorded, but most likely much more since I’ve soft reseted and lost save progress at times). It’s the most I’ve ever played in a main series game to this day.

Before getting Leafgreen, my brother had his own copy of Gold when I was little, and I used to get curious and watch him play. Whenever he didn’t play, I opened his game to take a look at it myself while making sure I didn’t save or overwrite anything. I wouldn’t consider this game to be one that I’ve gotten to truly play myself since it was my brother’s, and I must have known that he wouldn’t want me touching his game (I was such a dang sneak haha). Since then, I was really curious about Gen 2 as I really liked the old pixelated style that it had. When I grew older, I wanted to finally play through the Gen 1 and Gen 2 games and bought Blue and Silver used. Silver was able to save at the time until around when Heartgold and Soulsilver were announced (great timing!)

My brother also had a copy of Ruby, and I was curious about it as well. That must have been when he decided to get that copy of Sapphire (which was bootleg, dang it!) But some time later on, I ended up buying an actual copy of Sapphire for myself, which is great. Love that blue cartridge, lol.