• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What was your very first Pokémon game?

DSDark

Breeder
The first game I played was Red. My brother and I split use of the game. We got a green gameboy and red version. We ended up getting a second a gameboy and blue, this was the first pokemon game I actually owned.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The first game that I actually played? I think it was a bootleg copy of Sapphire that my brother decided to give to me when we traveled and bought it overseas. LOL. It played fine enough to allow me to beat the champion, but I think some parts of the game were glitchy and made me start back to some places (which confused me at the time). The cartridge lacked the blue color, misspelled Nintendo on the back, and seemed to have this weird, hardened glue-like substance in between the crack. The worst part was that once I finished the game, the save file got erased. And every time I made a new game, that file got erased soon after. Wah.

Was it kind of like that Vietnamese Crystal game which is infamously unreadable and almost unplayable?

Silver was able to save at the time until around when Heartgold and Soulsilver were announced (great timing!)

Luckily now you can get the original R/B/Y and G/S/C on the Virtual Console, so you can relive that nostalgia again without having to worry about dying batteries. ;)

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Was it kind of like that Vietnamese Crystal game which is infamously unreadable and almost unplayable?

Eh not really. Even though we had gotten the Sapphire from an East Asian country (can’t remember where exactly), it played pretty much the same as an English copy without any mistranslations that I remember. The main issue was that it couldn’t save anymore, so basically just like having an old GSC cartridge’s save automatically erased.

Luckily now you can get the original R/B/Y and G/S/C on the Virtual Console, so you can relive that nostalgia again without having to worry about dying batteries. ;)

Thank goodness for that! I got Yellow and Crystal for Virtual Console since I wanted to play through some single third versions, and I didn’t want to repeat getting Blue and Silver.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My brother also had a copy of Ruby, and I was curious about it as well. That must have been when he decided to get that copy of Sapphire (which was bootleg, dang it!) But some time later on, I ended up buying an actual copy of Sapphire for myself, which is great. Love that blue cartridge, lol.

I miss the coloured Gameboy and GBA cartridges. They could’ve made the OR/AS cartridges red and blue like the originals.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Yeah I wish they would have continued the different coloured carts into the DS and 3DS eras

And the Switch cartridges too, since Gen 8 will be the first on the Switch.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Huh... could've sworn I've answered this question for the third time... weird. Anyways, my first ever Pokemon game is Pokemon Stadium. Don't know about you guys but man did the graphics aged well during the Gamecube era, given updates for Colosseum and the 3D models being used for Smash Bros. Melee's Pokefloats.

VoltTacklePikachu

yah Eevee Rocks !
Ruby was my first Pokemon game got as an Xmas present with a GBA SP in 2003(which was also my first handheld) But the first Pokemon game I played through to the end was Pokemon Crystal(Also my favourite and the most I spent on hours on)which I got in early 2004 preowned from GAME. I was well into Pokemon before getting Ruby just watched the Anime and collected the cards.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Ruby was my first Pokemon game got as an Xmas present with a GBA SP in 2003(which was also my first handheld) But the first Pokemon game I played through to the end was Pokemon Crystal(Also my favourite and the most I spent on hours on)which I got in early 2004 preowned from GAME. I was well into Pokemon before getting Ruby just watched the Anime and collected the cards.

I also got a GBA SP for Christmas 2003, but I didn’t get Ruby until my birthday the following February.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Pretty much everyone started with Red and Blue, yes? I started a little later with Gold and Silver, but I went back to Yellow for a bit.

TMVHanzo

My very first pokemon game was FireRed. My older sister gave me the cart for my birthday when I was younger, and I remember enjoying myself. I lost the cartridge for a while, but I uncovered it while cleaning out some old things of mine. When I loaded up the save file, I found that I hadn't gotten very far into the game (only up to one of the first encounters with Team Rocket, I believe), but I had an overleveled Blastoise and not much else aha.