1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What were N's motivations in BW1?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation V Discussion' started by Monozu, May 31, 2019.

1. Monozu

Monozu Cosmopolitan Dragon

And what did you think of them?

2. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Wasn't he taught from a young age that Pokemon should have liberty or something? I know that he was mislead by Ghetsis but I don't remember if the manipulation started when N was young.

Jerimiyah likes this.
  3. Monozu

That's what I thought, too. I'm pretty sure the manipulation did start at a young age, since it's implied by the little playroom in his castle.

I was wondering if his motivations actually made sense, though, since surely at least some of the abused Pokemon Ghetsis showed him would have said something like "some humans are actually pretty nice, you know." What pushed him to literally want to eternally separate humans and Pokemon?
    Why didn't he simply end up campaigning in a normal way against Pokemon abuse? It seems ... extremely drastic when I compare it to what real life campaigners for animal rights (excluding PETA) do.

I'm pretty sure the game doesn't have answers to that, lol, and a lot of it could just be waved away by saying that Ghetsis's manipulation is what gave him such a mindset. I'm just very philosophical right now. :p

Jerimiyah and shoz999 like this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I remember people discussing this in the Black and White game threads around 2011 when the Gen V games were still new. A lot of people came to the conclusion that N himself just wasn't normal. He was isolated in his castle as a child and seemed to have some sort of developmental disorder like autism perhaps, which might explain his obsessive and extreme way of thinking regarding Pokemon liberation.

catzeye, shoz999 and Monozu like this.
  5. Jorik228

Jorik228 Member

Agreee with everything ....

Jerimiyah likes this.
  6. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

His main motivation was to force people into treating Pokémon as persons instead of tools or animals, and his secondary goal was resurrecting the respective Dragon Legendary and reestablish the Unovan monarchy with himself as the king by destroying the current government infrastructure, ie. the Pokémon League(which why he destroys the League with his castle).

We don't know how N was supposed to enforce his beliefs, as Legendary Dragons dex entries somewhat contradict each other in this case. They often refer to their destructive power and ability to control the weather, which means N wanted to enforce his ideals by destroying most of the civilian infrastructure of Unova(by burning them down, of course). If they some sort of ability enforce their owner's beliefs to common people, that would make a bit more sense, but that is just weakly implied.

As for "liberating Pokémon", we know Team Plasma was planing to destroy the PC infrastructure and hack Pokéballs to force them release their Pokémon because of Team Plasma grunts allied with Ghetsis tells as such. So there is no confusion there.

As for why N believed such things, outside of his initial raising by wild Pokémon(thus knowing the Pokémon language*) and later childhood under Ghetsis, both official artbook and games imply N is some sort of "idiot savant", ie. he understands STEM problems, but he is physically incapable of thinking emphatically. He is effectively a stunted child who is also a monarchist insurgent, despite being older than main character/s and Cheren&Bianca.

*Of course Abyssal Ruins strongly imply the ability to communicate with Pokémon is a genetic ability shared by the entire royal family, starting with the First King. But that is a different topic for a different thread.

tl;dr Unova lore is 2deep4u.

7. Monozu

@Trainer Yusuf

Unova lore sure is deep, haha. It's been a long time since I played the game, and I didn't really get much information about this from Bulbapedia. Thanks for your great summary. I completely forgot that the writing in the Abyssal Ruins even existed.

I feel like it's rather harsh to call N an outright idiot; he was abused by Ghetsis so it makes sense that his emotional development, at least, was cut a little short. Then again, the fact he is 18 and hadn't questioned Ghetsis's actions before said person outright turned on him is pretty abnormal, and shows an incredible level of trust which like you said is reminiscent of a child, or someone with the mind of a child. The autistic savant interpretation doesn't seem far off the mark.

On the other hand, if he was brainwashed and isolated from as young an age as the game implies, he probably wouldn't be doing much questioning in the first place. Kidnap victims display the same behaviours if they stay for a long enough time with their kidnapper who abuse them: trying to justify what they go through and believing their kidnapper is a fundamentally good person. Stockholm syndrome or something?

The biggest conclusion from all this is: Wow, it really sucks to be N.

There is an official artbook for Gen 5? Where can that be found? Never heard of it before. ^_^

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  8. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

As interesting as N is, I think the most mysterious character and arguably the villain we know the least about is Ghetsis. Who is he, where did he come from, how did he get access to these resources, connections, knowledge, people? In every other game, we know who the villains are, we get a sense where they come from and we understand how they get access to all these resources be it through their organization under the guise of a corporation or there organization performing operations to steal technology. We've seen this for practically every villain but Ghetsis of Team Plasma, we almost never see this. I hope if there is a Blacke & White 3, Ghetsis and only Ghetsis is the villain because we don't actually know much about him and his origins.

Monozu likes this.
  9. Monozu

A BW3 probably won't happen, haha.

While I would like to know just how Ghetsis got the wonderfully messed up idea of Team Plasma, I think that someone as evil as him is needed to set up N's character in the story: a conflicted person; somebody good at heart who has been driven to extreme conclusions.

catzeye, Jerimiyah and shoz999 like this.
  10. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

Actually I don't think it's that far off. If anything it makes far more sense than a BW remake as it's fitting of Gen 5's legacy of introducing a direct sequel.

Monozu likes this.
  11. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

N is honest with his motivations. He genuinely believes that Pokemon are better off without Trainers, though this is mainly due to Ghetsis manipulating things behind the scenes.

Monozu and shoz999 like this.
  12. Monozu

Yeah. His conviction is quite impressive when you consider the amount of evidence in the canon Pokemon world against it, and becomes kind of depressing when you think about him being locked in a room for eighteen or so years.

13. Boss1991

Boss1991 Hardcore Pokéfan

I think N is a combination of 3 concepts:

- a utopian

- an environmental extremist: he basically cares about Pokémon more than about his own kind (humans), and he wants to liberate them from humans.

- a marxist: metaphorically speaking, in his view pokémon are the equivalent of the proletariat exploited by those in power, in this case, humans.

He obviously has some mental issues caused by Ghetsis manipulating him for so long. So his mindset is justified.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  14. Monozu

I'm not sure if I would call N a marxist, since we don't know what kind of political system he'd support if he came to power. A monarchy, maybe?

He is definitely an activist, though.

wolf jani likes this.
  15. Boss1991

Boss1991 Hardcore Pokéfan

I don't think N is a marxist. Just that he is a metaphor of one.

Maybe it is a bit of a stretch, though.

Monozu likes this.