• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What were the negative parts of Journeys for you?

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Let’s *spread* some negativity. Now that the series has concluded and we have a full clear view of the series, what are things you believe could be fixed or what was outright bad?

Last edited:

Durrendal

Anything and Everything to do with Goh. The way he goes about his goal makes no sense. Was written as a Mary Sue character and is on a whole unlikeable piece of horrendous dog crap character and piece of writing. All problems and issues plaguing Journeys can be directly attributed to Goh's presence and the need to mint him as much important, if not greater than Ash.

Now we know Goh was designed to diminish and kill Ash' importance to the series so that Ash can be replaced. It was an experiment to try introduce a main co protag and then just outright replace Ash.

Goh is responsible for everything wrong in Journeys and eventual ouster of Ash.

Master Pikachu 11

Morpeko
Chloe’s Arc and not letting her get another Pokémon like Ponyta.
The first 10 episodes of being hype bait and not letting Ash use any other Pokémon besides Pikachu. Only using Mimey for one episode.
Team Rocket not showing up more often and being treated horribly
The lack of interaction between The main cast pokemon
Ash not using reserves
Mewtwo episode could have been handled better
I agree with Red and Blue about not promoting any of the Crown Tundra Legendaries with the exception of the Regis

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
JN team is the most bland I have seen and a mess type-wise
No reserves and even worse they were demoted to a cheerleading squad
Boring fillers
Paul's reason for not joining the PWC is not convincing in the slightest. We never learned if he even beat Brandon
Dawn's return amounted to nothing
Galar getting worse attention even from the SwSh games themselves
Team Rocket not getting any Pokemon since their bonding episodes were the only good thing about them and instead got stuck with gacha machines and an annoying Morpeko
Project Mew was a waste of time
Remove Chloe from the cast and nothing would change outside of losing another Eevee caretaker. Yamper was done dirty
PWC is a disgrace of a World Championship the way it was presented

Gingertail24

How Ash barely had any conflict outside of that terrible bea arc. No I'm not talking about battling Leon. Ash battling Paul wasn't just about getting stronger, it was to prove how his ideals weren't useless like Paul says etc

In JN? Absolutely nothing, outside of just generic wanting to get stronger, Ash was pretty much stagnant in JN

The freezer episode is still terrible. Idk it just felt like GOH had issues with Gary and not working in a group. If Gary wasn't there I honestly feel GOH would be perfectly fine. To try to frame this as an issue of goh having issues with getting along in a group didn't work at all. Especially when he has done this forever

Chloe arc will forever go down as just wasted potential. Especially when her arc ended with her being a research assistant...
Even though she did that before when she was with Ash and.goh at times. Like are you serious?
What sucks is that this is another gen where we get another female "companion" who basically sits there in the sidelines while the boys do most of the battling. Terrific

It had a decent start and a decent conclusion. The story in the middle could have been stronger. The main problem was that basically every single character was a bit too bland and Chloe's arc was especially weak. Team Rocket was not the worst part of the show but they were occasionally annoying and overall mediocre.

The pandemic certainly had a negative effect but they still should have done away with the fillers in the middle and replaced them with something more meaningful.

There was nothing that I hated, it just could have been better. And for the biggest media franchise in the world, it should have been better.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Mr.Mime suddenly being owned by Ash, since it was never shown that he actually caught in a pokeball, though seeing it completely troll that Hariyama was funny.
Taking a while for things to pick up, with the majority of early episode focusing too much on goh just chunking balls at stuff.
The initial arc with bea
It not being explained in detail how Iris became unova's champion, also the fact that she apparently had no new pokemon aside from Axew evolving
Dawn having no changes at all or being any closer to her goal.
Some of the project mew missions due to goh's behavior (like the articuno fight)
Chloe's eevee not getting resolved in that we don't know if it's unable to evolve because of being able to G-max or not.
Ash not using reserves
Chloe and Dawn being the only 2 people to actually show up and watch Ash during his fight with Leon.
Alain's handling in the masters 8

raichu27

• Ash not getting a starter Pokemon from Galar like the other regions.
  • Paul not mentioning about his battle with Brandon or not joining the competition Ash has been. I remember a clip of Cynthia in DP saying Ash and Paul would both compete at a league again one of these days.
  • Dawn and Chloe being the only ones to show up at the league.
  • No contest updates from Dawn about winning the Grand Festivial.
  • Serena doing contests, instead of aiming more towards Kalos Queen. We already have characters like May, Dawn, Jessie, and Zoey for contests, though.
  • Trip, Tyson(Hoenn), Morrison, and Ritchie not returning.
  • May without voice and not visiting Ash
  • Ash not getting gym badges.
  • Not seeing Clemont with Serena
  • Jessie and James still not getting their Arbok and Weezing back
  • to name a few...

That's all I can think of right now. Still liked the series, though.

Illusio

No words, only rage
Chloe
Galar treatment as a whole. If you weren't Leon, Bea, the Starters, or on Ash's team you were probably ignored
Lack of progression for Dawn
Lack of focus for Goh in the first season
Morpeko
Lack of development and interactions for Ash's team
Powerscaling

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Oh, boy... I'll try not to be too negative!

- Ash's main team having representatives from 3 regions only (I like the canon team, anyway, they just could use extras)
- No reserves being used
- Mr. Mime retcon ("technically" not, but Ash didn't "have" it for two decades, why start now?)
- Focus episodes to Go's captures that he ends up barely using or not using at all (looking to you, cubone)
- Chloe's "arc" as the obligatory eevee promotion
- Everything about Bea
- Project Mew crew not appearing enough to be interresting
- Not much random battles against random trainers just for the sake of it. I really missed these battles for fun instead a serious competion everytime
- Glaring lack of a lot of Galar pokemon

To name a few ones.

Last edited:

Ryker101

Few things. Had a number of offscreen PWC battles and ranking jumps, which is just lame given how little good battles we had for a while. Reserves should’ve been used at some point, probs in M8. They also missed rematches with Alain and Flint in particular. Goh could’ve been executed better, they were just winging it until project mew. They really should’ve introduced that at the start to make things more cohesive. He does develop pretty quickly too, almost becoming like Ash, he could’ve have a more gradual transition imo. His captures of Suicune and Grookey weren’t that good. There was also some weird continuity baiting early on, like eps 8/9, etc. Chloe also felt repetitive when she was just meeting evolutions, although some good eps there it felt like she wasn’t really doing anything

But the biggest is just the quality. After sitting through the whole series, it’s defs a downgrade from previous sagas. It’s a shame how many production issues they had bc it really shows. Not only was the art style less detailed but it was also missing SM’s animation, so the worst of both worlds. These got so bad where they had to do recap eps and I think the series structure was messed up bc of these issues

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
The best way I can describe this series is that it felt....random. Ash's regional team was random. Goh's captures were random. Chloe's arc was certainly one of the arcs of all time. The random continuity and past references, but not doing the obvious in using reserves or having essential character interactions or answering some burning questions about past characters. Dawn randomly showing up for a bunch of episodes again. Serena randomly running into Ash for 30 seconds. Iris randomly becoming the Champion off-screen, even though everyone would have wanted to see that. The animation was random and all over the place. The Masters 8 felt random in the way it was presented.

I'm not going to say JN was trash, because there was stuff to like, but it definitely should have done a better job in trying to be Ash's final series. It felt like it wasn't properly mapped.

(Disclaimer: I'll admit that I didn't watch every episode of Journeys (doc's life is busy), so maybe I'd have gotten a better understanding if I watched every episode, but based on others' comments, it seems those episodes I missed wouldn't have changed my opinion too much)

mockingjay

swift and lol
Anything and Everything to do with Goh. The way he goes about his goal makes no sense. Was written as a Mary Sue character and is on a whole unlikeable piece of horrendous dog crap character and piece of writing. All problems and issues plaguing Journeys can be directly attributed to Goh's presence and the need to mint him as much important, if not greater than Ash.

Now we know Goh was designed to diminish and kill Ash' importance to the series so that Ash can be replaced. It was an experiment to try introduce a main co protag and then just outright replace Ash.

Goh is responsible for everything wrong in Journeys and eventual ouster of Ash.
Goh was such a poorly received lead that the writers were like we aren’t just going to retire Ash, we’re also retiring Goh as well, and our next lead will be a girl. lol

BlueDragonfangirl

- Ash not getting a single Pokémon from that region, instead we got stuck with Pokémon he should have gotten years ago for the entire series with no interactions between them or on screen training.

- Goh catching Pokémon left and right and never using them.

- Goh just basically being the studios pet, being handed everything while Ash has to do the usual to earn his things such.

- No Ash / Team Rocket interactions, i always loved it when they’d team up such.

- How they treated Team Rocket, it’s even worse knowing this is is their final.

- No villain arc.

- Mewtwo’s return, that was messed up. Ash didn’t even talk about his encounters with him in the past and Mewtwo didn’t even acknowledge Ash. What was the point in brining him back? Horrible fan service of any kind.

- Ash’s battles being off screen in the first half of the series.

- A Legendary Pokémon being ok with Goh catching it just because, do you know how many legendary Pokémon Ash became friends with in the past yet wasn’t allowed to catch?

- Chloe just yah, Iris/Serena/Misty we‘re treated better than that, the one’s fans complained about yet at least they got to travel with Ash and actually battle and develop a friendship with Ash. At times I couldn’t tell if she hated him in the earlier half.