• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What were your thoughts on how the anime handled gimmicks

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’m mostly discussing Z-Moves and Mega’s. You’re free to discuss Dynamax and G max as the series goes on but I’m mostly asking about the former two since it’s a bit early.

Red and Blue

Megas, Z Moves, and Dyanamax/Gigantamax were handled well.

Though I feel like Z moves were handled better than Megas since all of the main characters and TR were able to get a Z ring

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thought that Z-Moves were handled remarkably well, and the Daimax and Kyodaimax features have been portrayed decently so far. My issue lies with Mega Evolution: I thought it was vexing that Satoshi was never allowed to Mega Evolve any Pokemon during XY, and that he instead received a knock-off version of Mega Evolution via Gekkouga's special transformation.

Red and Blue

I thought that Z-Moves were handled remarkably well, and the Daimax and Kyodaimax features have been portrayed decently so far. My issue lies with Mega Evolution: I thought it was vexing that Satoshi was never allowed to Mega Evolve any Pokemon during XY, and that he instead received a knock-off version of Mega Evolution via Gekkouga's special transformation.
That's because only one Gen 6 Pokemon had a mega form. And Ash wasn't getting that one unless XY was the season he got his first mythical

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Z Moves were fine though I got tired of seeing Gigavolt Havoc and Inferno Overdrive so often (ironically they’re my favorite basic Z Moves) and wish we saw all of them as they had plenty of time to showcase them.

Megas were mediocre. On one hand, it was smart to have some debut in the movies and the side specials literally named after it (though they weren’t that good).On the other hand, it was dumb to watch an arc about Korrina & her Lucario learning about Mega Evolution when any of the main cast could’ve learned about it. Then you realize TRio used ME before them twice and it just makes you question why they didn’t give the main protagonists the gimmick. I love Luxray but Clemont could’ve used Manectric. Then the random Nurse Joy with Mega Audino.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Red and Blue said:
That's because only one Gen 6 Pokemon had a mega form. And Ash wasn't getting that one unless XY was the season he got his first mythical

That's a rather questionable excuse considering that he could've easily brought back one of his reserve Pokemon that had a Mega Evolution like Heracross or Lizardon and had one of them Mega Evolve. I know that people constantly criticized XY for not having much continuity, but the return of one of Satoshi's reserve Pokemon could've still happened since it would've doubled as a way to have Satoshi promote the most popular feature of Gen VI, while also acting as nostalgia pandering.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Overall, the anime handled them well.

My only criticisms with megas is that they haven't given one to Ash. Made even worse when Kanto first series moving background gained some. I understand what they were going for, specially with no Kalos pokémon other than Diancie gaining it and forcing Yajima to ask assistance for GF which ends up with them coming up with Ash-Greninja but I still feel Ash could have gotten one.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Regarding Mega Evolution, do keep in mind that the X/Y games primarily treated it as postgame bonus material, presumably because Game Freak was VERY usure how they would be received. It was ORAS that treated them as a major regional gimmick the same way Z-Moves and Daimax would be treated in gen 7 and 8.

(Also, Satoshi didn't get a baby Pokemon in gen 2 either, despite that being THAT gen's regional gimmick.)

Sonnas

I feel like Z Moves were iffy considering sometimes they do it correctly because they "Need to be in sync with Pokemon." but then others are able to do it with no problem first try feels like they kept forgetting their rule and just do it when the writers want it to happen, also they make the battles feel the same with them either ending it with one or just launch it before the other does.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Regarding Mega Evolution, do keep in mind that the X/Y games primarily treated it as postgame bonus material, presumably because Game Freak was VERY usure how they would be received. It was ORAS that treated them as a major regional gimmick the same way Z-Moves and Daimax would be treated in gen 7 and 8.

(Also, Satoshi didn't get a baby Pokemon in gen 2 either, despite that being THAT gen's regional gimmick.)

I disagree. Mega evolution was a big part of the XY narrative too, it wasn't just postgame bonus. We had the whole tower of mastery arc in the games, major characters had mega evolutions, the ultimate weapon, the energy it was powered by, it all linked to mega evolution. And mega evolution was a heavy part of the marketing for XY. In ORAS mega evolution was mainly expanded upon in the delta episode, which was postgame.

Red and Blue

That's a rather questionable excuse considering that he could've easily brought back one of his reserve Pokemon that had a Mega Evolution like Heracross or Lizardon and had one of them Mega Evolve. I know that people constantly criticized XY for not having much continuity, but the return of one of Satoshi's reserve Pokemon could've still happened since it would've doubled as a way to have Satoshi promote the most popular feature of Gen VI, while also acting as nostalgia pandering.
It's not that questionable when Ash usually promotes the current Gen Pokemon.

Though given the premise of PM2019 maybe he can actually use mega evolution

Cat's Eye Draco

I didn't care much for the way Z-moves were handled, to be honest. They were fine when they had requirements directly related to the Island Challenge (Ash and Kiawe had to battle Kahunas to earn their Rings/Crystals, TR and Lana had to defeat Totem Pokemon, etc.), but then they suddenly became prizes in local races and were handed out as thank you gifts by random groups of Sandshrew. Which isn't a problem in and of itself, but if the writers wanted Z-moves to be commonplace so everyone and their brother could use one they should have just treated them that way from the beginning.

DatsRight

Z Moves I think were the more thoroughly handled, since as mentioned, Megas were not granted to any main character outside the spin off. Z Moves were given to EVERY main character, and while they could have been executed more thoroughly (seriously, why did TR use their's against the twerps only TWICE?), I kinda appreciated each one had a unique approach and helped develop on their bond with one of their Pokemon.

Both gimmicks were used a bit too simplistically a lot of time, more or less 'instant win buttons' like in many other action series, though I feel like Z Moves were somehow less monotonous and caused less 'why didn't they just use that in the first place?' moments despite being in far greater amount in their series, maybe because Z Moves were basically one chance finisher moves that also took up a lot of energy while Mega's were more thorough 'super forms'. Also I remember more times a Z Move failed or was countered.

Technically Misty got one in time for Gen 2 though, so a main character still promoted it.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Mega Evolutions: Not so well, since none of the XY(Z) main cast had them, especially it was mostly limited to some past regional Pokemons and a legendary Kalos Pokemon, to the point that they had to give Ash a then anime-exclusive transformation for Greninja to makes things even against Mega Evolution trainers.

Z-moves: I like it, as it's way more flexible than Mega Evolutions, just like in the games. There's some few BS moments like when Pikachu defeated Mother Beast, but I'm glad that everyone can use it. Sure, there's people who complained that some characters don't deserve it because they don't work hard enough to earn it, but as I always disliked Ash taking the spotlights and that the SM classmates had very few things to do before they participated the Alola League.

Dynamax & Gigantamax: We haven't seen much of Dynamax but I think it would be as flexible than Z-moves, except Dynamaxed Pokemons aren't as appealing to look at than Gigantamaxed Pokemons, in which the latter is kinda like Mega Evolutions in which it is limited to some Pokemons.

Sham

The Guardian of War

Technically baby Pokémon still got promotion in terms of Misty way before Johto even started. I’m pretty sure if not Ash....people would of still wanted anyone in the XY group to get a mega.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
In my opinion, the fact that none of the main cast got ME made it better than Z-moves, where every1 and their mother got it. In my opinion, based on the games, these gimmicks aren't that common and not every1 can get it. The fact that ME wasn't that common in the anime made it feel special and rare. I loved the way it was handled

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
XY spent five episodes talking about how you had to be one with your Pokemon or something to perfect Mega Evolution.

Then comes a random Nurse Joy with a jerky Audino who manages to Mega Evolve in the end and still is a meanie that she locked Nurse Joy in a room.