1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have received legal notice about the sharing of certain images for Pokémon Sword & Shield. Due to this, we have a new rule. If you post said images, you will be removed from the forums until 15:00 UTC on November 14th 2019. We have also killed the leak discussion threads for the time being. Thank you for your patience during this. If you have any queries, use the contact form
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What Will You Name your Player Character?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Italianbaptist, Nov 8, 2019 at 3:47 PM.

1. Italianbaptist

Italianbaptist Informed Casual

Ever since I found out about the Galar region being the Poke-equivalent of England, I wanted my player name to be some sort of homage to Tolkien, who I've grown to appreciate a lot more recently. After searching through multiple sources I finally found a pretty reputable looking site called RealElvish.net. I was finally able to settle on the name Amathorn, which is apparently Noldorin for Steadfast Shield (guess which version I'm getting) and overall just sounds cool.

What are y'all naming your player characters?

NovaBrunswick and PrinceOfFacade like this.
  2. EmeraldArcanine

EmeraldArcanine #TeamScorbunny

After myself like always; Emerald. lol
    Never felt the need to deviate from that, lets me immerse myself more and makes things more personal.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 4:48 PM
  3. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko 3 Days Until SwSh!!! :D

Ayla, of course! I'm playing as the female character again due to the awesome customization and the name represents the name I would've been given if I was born a girl.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  4. LePetitMeow

LePetitMeow Well-Known Member

I always use the "canon" name for the player characters in each game. So I'll be naming my male character "Victor" in these versions. :)

5. Rapiido

Rapiido Well-Known Member

Same.

Except for Hilbert, Hilda, Calem and Elio. Cause those names are...... eh.

6. LePetitMeow

LePetitMeow Well-Known Member

Yeah... Hilbert was... very eh. I still sadly played using it... This was honestly the first game I thought of nicknames to use, but none really captured the character for me other than "Victor"... so...

7. Chaos Emperor

Chaos Emperor ................

I’m no good at making up interesting names so I go with my real name.

8. WeepingHallows

WeepingHallows Well-Known Member

I'm super excited for the trainer customization too. It looks way better than what we were offered in XY and SM.

As for my character's name I always use my real name. Any other play through I'll use the names of my family members and try to give them pokemon I think they'll like.

9. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

Twiggy for the girl, Ringo for the boy. Both references to English celebrities.

NovaBrunswick and Italianbaptist like this.
  10. Mogu which is the usual name I give my player characters nowadays.

11. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

I always pick fictional names, sometimes from shows sometimes from other games, and I decided to go with Kara and actually give my Pokemon a name to match the Supergirl, at least that's what I hope. If Mimikyu is hard to get I might go with a general DC theme because I don't have enough patience to spend an hour looking for a Pokemon only to find that it's not the right gender for my roleplay. Of course I might do something else, depends on who catches my attention when my hands are on this game.

12. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair Reporting on-duty in Galar.

Vittoria.

13. Julia Artemis

Julia Artemis Well-Known Member

14. DannyDark

DannyDark The Earthquake Maker

Yeah, I'm pretty vanilla.. use my own sex and name when playing games.

PokeMon2.0 likes this.
  15. MagicEspeon

MagicEspeon P. F. Magician

I basically always use my real name. Though my name is 8 letters long and pre gen 6 you could only use 7 letters, so I used to the let game pick a name for me. I remember being "Nina" in Platinum and "Kelli" in HeartGold and I think I reused the name Kelli in gen 5. Sometimes I still use the names Nina and Kelli for second playthroughs. Sometimes on second/third/whatever playthroughs I'll pick the guy to see some of the different dialogue. Male names I've used are Spencer and Randall.

As far as character customization goes I like to dress my character using clothes I'd feel comfortable wearing. (I kinda hated Alola's customization options because I hate wearing shorts and skirts irl.)

Julia Artemis likes this.
  16. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Lost my profile picture when Ash beat Kukui

I always use my real life name when naming my character because my gamertag is too big to fit in.Hope they fix that issue in sword and shield.

17. Monster Guy

Monster Guy Sweet Justice

I think I’m going to name my character William or Liam. That sounds Britishy xD

I also plan to customize him to match my Roleplay character with this name. Hope they have enough pink things for boys.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 5:52 PM
  18. shoz999

shoz999 Thorton hears a battle

Probably just Sword if it's the boy character if no name comes up.

19. WolfCypher

WolfCypher Well-Known Member

Victor or Gloria. I have a track record.

Red - Red
    Blue - Blue
    Yellow - Red
    Gold - Gold
    Silver - Silver
    Crystal - Crystal, female
    Ruby - Brendan
    Sapphire - May
    Emerald - Brendan
    FireRed - Red
    LeafGreen - Green
    Diamond - Lucas
    Pearl - Dawn
    Platinum - Lucas
    HeartGold - Gold
    SoulSilver - Crystal
    Black - White, female
    White - Black, male
    Did not play B2W2
    X - Calem, nickname X
    Y - Serena, nickname Y
    Sun/US - Sun, male
    Moon - Moon, female (same if I had gotten UM)
    Sword - Victor
    Shield - Gloria

The default names for Lets Go came out after I got the games, so

Let's Go Pikachu - Rook

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 8:24 PM
    PokeMon2.0, shoz999 and wolf jani like this.
  20. RoughCoronet0

RoughCoronet0 Dragon lover

I sort of have an in my head story that I like to play out of what if Red from Pokémon Red and Blue either traveled to different regions like Ash or just happened to be from the current region in an alternate universe. So my first playthrough will be with the name Red.

I tend to always play male characters in Pokémon, so for my other game (since I’m getting both) I’ll either go with Alabastor or Leonardo.