• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Will You Name your Player Character?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Starting with Pokémon White, I've chosen names fitting for the version name. I give my Pokémon names that are references or puns on what they're based, on, and I follow the same rule for the player characters. Here is the list I have had so far:

White - Dwight
Black 2 - Nigella
Y - Yannick
OmegaRuby - Meg
Sun - Orson
Ultra Moon - Artemis

Took me a while, but I've settled on the name Jericho for Shield. There are a few names out there that reference defenders and shields (such as Bastion), though I like the sound of Jericho as a name. It refers to the Biblical city famed for its thick walls surrounding it, even if it's even more famed for the walls coming down. (If I had gotten Sword, my player character's name would be Saif, a fairly common name in the Arab world meaning "sword" with the connotation of the heroic swordfighter.)

Alaris

Not really going with the theme...

Used to go with either colors fitting the game (Red for Red, Gold for Gold), went with Ash for Yellow... and anime names for several of the others.. but I went with my own name for the past few games (Ultra Sun, Let's Go Eevee)

Guess I'll go with my name for Shield as well.

NidokingJ

Addicted2Pokemon
Rellski is what i used in US UM so maybe that unless i want to go somethin diff

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Sword - Nymeria, Persephone (my middle name), Daenerys

Is that a Game of Thrones reference?

Shield - Raven, Selene, Artemis

Wasn't Selene the default name of the Sun/Moon female player character?

If they let you name your rival in Sw/Sh, I'm calling him America. Because America is below Canada. (Well, there IS Alaska...) :D

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

Ugh too many names I like and want to choose! Scrap the DC idea, I choose Amelika, I like it, it's cute, going with that before I change my mind.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Y - Yannick

I kind of like the name Yannick. It's actually the name of the main actor in the Canadian crime TV series Murdoch Mysteries, Yannick Bisson. :D

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Heh, the idea for the name was simpler than that. It was the first name that starts with a Y I could think of that wasn't obvious or already taken by a unique character in the Pokémon video games.

jachimk

I have a question to the people who watched the stream, i'm trying to come up with a character name but i'm just curious, did the player move to Galar like most regions or has the player lived there. You can answer in a spoiler tag as I dont want to spoil anything for others.

ShikabaneHime13

Is that a Game of Thrones reference?

Wasn't Selene the default name of the Sun/Moon female player character?

If they let you name your rival in Sw/Sh, I'm calling him America. Because America is below Canada. (Well, there IS Alaska...) :D

Yes, GoT reference for Daenerys. And Selene was the default name for the girl inSun/Moon but I’m basing it more on the goddess of the moon than the previous games

c1234

Trainer Since '98
I will name the character my real name as usual. Back in the day I think I named my character Ash a few times (in Yellow/Red version). If I don't use my name as the character I don't feel as connected to the game.

TwoThirds

What's occurin?
I will name the character my real name as usual. Back in the day I think I named my character Ash a few times (in Yellow/Red version). If I don't use my name as the character I don't feel as connected to the game.
Same here, if I don't use my name (or variants of it) then I don't feel connected either. Although I do use the game name for at least one playthrough (Eg. 'Emerald') for the character name.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I plan on doing nicknaming themes in both games. One will be the female character who I’m calling Twiggy and that game will have Pokémon named after fashion models, actors, and actresses. The other game I’m calling the guy Ringo and doing a Beatles and related names and musicians theme.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
It depends on whether we get to name Hop.

I used to name all my character my own name but then all my pokmeon had the same OT (name not number) so I decided it'd be less confusing if I gave them different names. At first it was just variations of my own name but staring US I gave them more unique names, in US I called my character Cheese and in LGE I called him Merlin (and I called the rival Mordred).

If we can name Hop I might go for Arthur and Morgan (as in Morgana Le Fey)