• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What would a Virtual Reality Pokémon game be like?

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
So I’ve always wondered what it would be like if the future Pokémon games or even a spin off game were in VR.Imagine walking around the region in first person and the Pokémon battles would be amazing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
It wouldn't surprise me if a complete VR Pokemon game were in the works right now, honestly. I know that Konami is supposedly working on something similar with Yu-Gi-Oh!, so Pokemon probably isn't too far behind. I'd assume that a VR Pokemon game would be similar to Pokemon GO, but on a whole new level.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
The routes and towns would look amazing seeing them in first person and catching Pokémon would be better than ever before.Imagine the battles being able to see them in a whole new way!

Alexander Dusk Lycanroc

Trainer determined to protect friends
it would be G O O D. I would be able to say "PIKA USE THUNDER BOLT E" and Pikachu would use it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well I think before we can have a conversation about what Pokemon could do with VR, we need to know what kind of VR we're dealing with. Is it just going to be goggles, are there going to be motion controls/full body movement? Because if it's just goggles, it's not going to be that different other than "OMG I can see 360 degrees!", but if they go further with it they could do some interesting things. You could direct your Pokemon's attacks to add more variety to the combat (not only could you choose a Pokemon to target, but you could also target the environment as well to add more strategy perhaps?), you could navigate the overworld more realistically (small ledge blocking your progress, climb it), they could deepen social interactions by allowing you to gesture to other players.

One thing they could do regardless though is hold virtual events. Perhaps tournaments can be conducted virtually and other players can watch them through an in game stadium (ideally they could also include some way to get spectators involved in some way, but short of gambling which is scummy and now illegal, I can't think of a way to do that).

It wouldn't surprise me if a complete VR Pokemon game were in the works right now, honestly. I know that Konami is supposedly working on something similar with Yu-Gi-Oh!, so Pokemon probably isn't too far behind. I'd assume that a VR Pokemon game would be similar to Pokemon GO, but on a whole new level.

I doubt it. The Switch doesn't really have a lot of support for VR RN, there's Labo VR but that's being treated more like a tech demo than a full fledged VR expansion. A VR Pokemon game would most likely be on a future console.

Side note: The first generation games to support VR should be called Fantasy and Reality. The theme fits way too well for them to call it something else.