• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What would be the biggest times where a character has caught up to another?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
There are many times where 2 characters start up with a huge gap in terms of power, skill, or both, but usually by the time of their last battle, they end up pretty much even, if not the one that was initially below now having the upper hand. Which would you say are the biggest examples of that. IMO, the biggest one would be Sawyer, who I've seen has been called by some a "late bloomer". However, that only fits if you count XY by itself and judge Sawyer in a vacuum, but adding Ash into the equation, you could see that in the time it took Ash to get 2 badges (+ some detours due to TF or Serena's showcases), Sawyer didn't just get all the badges, he had almost caught up to Ash's experience of having been in 8 journeys, that's not a late bloomer, that's a full blown prodigy.
Also, while nowhere near as big, it was odd seeing Pikachu catch up to Zeraora so fast in SM, he went from being utterly destroyed to fighting toe to toe with him without a winner in sight in the span of 2 episodes (pretty much 1, as the first battle happened at the end of the first part), but I guess that could also be getting accustomed to zeraora's fighting style.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Dawn with Zoey, both throughout their contest careers and in the final round of the Grand Festival.
now that I think of it, dawn with may too, given the latter had already gone through 2 on-screen contest quests and was in the middle of a 3rd, but dawn still came out on top in the middle of her first (though then again, she knew a few things beforehand due to her mom), though I may have to rewatch that because I haven't seen the WC arc in a while

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
also ash was beaten by sawyer, and there was a clear gap in skill and trainer capability for a bit because ash wasn't...entirely one with his pokemon. literally.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
That doesn't mean Sawyer surpassed him.

Just because Ash got distracted after the transformation failing.
That’s what I meant when I said surpassed so he did in that regard

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
When they battle one last time and one of them wins against the other at last, but they never, ever get a rematch, which is how this anime misinterprets.

Which is basically an esoteric way of rage quitting but for victors.