• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What would you IMPROVE about Pokemon games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poketeen

~Aspiring Author~
I would want a game that is only for pokemon contests. And not the contests in the game, but like contests in the anime.

Shepard

metaphysician
take out the event stuff. it's kinda a ripoff. have many more sidequests after the game is over so u won't get bored.

I absolutely agree; the events discriminate against people who live in regions where no events take place.

I'd like to see the IV guy make another appearance, but maybe tell you the relative strength of all the IVs of a poke.

Also, bring back secret bases from 3rd gen. I can't stress enough how annoying it is to not have anywhere to decently level up outside the E4. Secret bases in RSE were one of the best features.

I also agree with comments made about improvements needed for the GTS - I also think you should be able to search for offers for things you have in your party.

There are a lot of things I would improve in the games.

• The battle scenes need to look more realistic. The backgrounds during a battle are rather safe and somewhat tedious. It would be nice if you saw an actual scenery behind the attacking Pokemon to make it seem more realistic.

• There should be attack animations. I read on a post earlier that it looks like a flamethrower is coming out of Charmander's belly. That is one of my few major turn offs to the game.

• In the beginning of every game, when first starting out, the Professor tells you that your journey will be dangerous and whatnot. How is traveling through grassy routes dangerous? Every main-adventure game is exactly the same when it comes to fundamentals. They should have side missions in the game that help you reach certain goals.

• The cries need to be better. The MIDI files are okay, but it makes it sound like the Pokemon swallowed a boom box. They should have different growls and roars and such.

• Legendaries are getting seriously out of hand. I mean, 15 legendaries in Sinnoh alone is more than the other three regions combined. In my opinion, the supposed "magical beasts of myth" are losing their pristine. I was very disappointed at this turnout of legendary overhaul.

But then again, what do I know? lol These are just my opinions. Feel free to disagree! :)

Zach~

Profesco

gone gently
I'd make it so you could only use as many pokemon as the gym leader; no more outnumbering them 6 pokemon against 3.

That's a thought I've entertained, too. Doing a whole bunch of Gym-revamping would be a bit overkill, I think, but there could at least be some specific rules. Each battle should have a designated Pokemon limit, I think. That would force a bit more strategy (as well as a much-appreciated sense of realism), while still allowing newbie players the chance to use a level-advantaged Pokemon to power through their Gym battles.

I'd also enjoy the idea of improved sidequest material. The way they did Darkrai's and Shaymin's hidden quests were a huge step up from the old games, and that was nice. If they don't want to have more arduous quests for Legendaries, then they could still add or improve things like the Underground Man's quest. They could perhaps take a cue from Shadows of Almia. It's certainly not a regular trainer's prerogative to help every random NPC in the game, but there are absolutely some instances in which we could be asked to perform some little journey or other. Again, it's a good step with Cheryl, Mira, and Buck, for example. Gives your wanderings a bit more significance, I think.

randomspot555

^^^That's a great idea, and can help in solving the problem about event only and hard to encounter/rare Pokemon. Random side quests (that aren't required to be part of the main game/quest) could give you key items for the event legendaries, 3rd gen legends, Johto starters, or a Feebas.

And while I'm not sure if gym's should be HARDER, more rules would be nice. Make each gym a unique experience. Instead of just loading up on type advantage Pokemon, have them ban you from using them. Fire gym could ban water, but still allow ground, for example. It'd force players to diversify their teams and catch more than the first 6 Pokemon they encounter.

It would still be possible to encounter wild pokémon with max IVs, but it's very unlikely (1 in 729 million). Besides, it would give breeders something else to work for, so if you wanted a shiny you'd have to work at it (I never cared for that PokéRadar thing, even though I've never used it myself).

It's actually part of the game's coding. Wild Pokemon can not have straight 31 IVs. For those who play on Shoddy, that's why legendary Pokemon can't have 31 IVs in all stats on Smogon's server.

It's unknown if this applies to Mystery Gift/event Pokemon.

It is possible to get 31 IVs in all stats via breeding.

Last edited:

TheSmiley

I think they should have done the battles so that people can watch how their friends battle with one another. Instead of just ask your friend to describe the battle.
It would be a good idea to make the pokemon move when they use attacks and they absolutely NEED to change the crys from gen 1 and 2.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
To be honest I think a lot of people here are forgetting that these games are directed at children. I would certainly like more challenging Pokémon games, but any person who has attempted the Battle Frontier will know that this Emerald and Platinum creation proves a challenge for any trainer.

Anyway it would be nice if the games solidified the manner for doing Contests. I don't mind them, but they changed it completely from the generation where it was introduced to the current generation, and that seriously irks me.

Maruno

I suggest the possibility of encountering wild starters. It makes no sense that they're the first few pokémon in every (Regional) Dex, yet they cannot be encountered anywhere at all.

If you must, make them rare, but at least put them somewhere.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I suggest the possibility of encountering wild starters. It makes no sense that they're the first few pokémon in every (Regional) Dex, yet they cannot be encountered anywhere at all.

If you must, make them rare, but at least put them somewhere.

Well there is a great idea! But then again, the main reason of the game is to Trade, Trade, and Trade some more, so doing that would dimish some of the main objectives of the game.

I think they should have done the battles so that people can watch how their friends battle with one another. Instead of just ask your friend to describe the battle.
It would be a good idea to make the pokemon move when they use attacks and they absolutely NEED to change the crys from gen 1 and 2.

I doubt that Nintendo is gonna go back and fix it, I think the whole point of this thread is to talk about the 3rd/4th Gen games

Last edited:

randomspot555

Well there is a great idea! But then again, the main reason of the game is to Trade, Trade, and Trade some more, so doing that would dimish some of the main objectives of the game.

Well, maybe they could have the in-game trades for the other starters. However, starters are fairly easy to obtain on the GTS, assuming you have the dex entries for them.

PDL

disenchanted
Well, correct me if i'm wrong, but G/S/C shinies were stronger than regular pokemon, weren't they?

If I remember, shiny Pokémon in the GS games had IVs of 10, except for HP, which was 0.

So no, they weren't stronger then regular Pokémon.

porygonfan

How Pokemon games could be improved.

What do you think should be added to Pokemon games in the future to improve them?

I for one think there should be more on-on-one interaction between trainer and pokemon. Besides changing nature,breeding,fighting,and beauty contests, there's not much else to do with your partner Pokemon.

I think new features should be added where you can interact further with your Pokemon.
For example, why not be able to groom and play with your Pokemon? Like being able to dress up your pokemon with accessories, or groom like brushing or bathing them and choosing various shampoos. And what about playing a game with your pokemon where your score is saved and posted online so you can compare your skills to other Pokemon game players? Like flying through as many rings in the sky on the back of your charizard as you can in a minute, or mining gold with your dugtrio's to collect the most loot. Using your pokemon's natural skills/abilities for more than just battling. (games would be an extra feature besides the RPG storyline and each pokemon would have games available depending on there skills, so not all pokemon can compete in the same game types)

And what about a Pokemon chef? Mix ingredients and try to make the best pokemon recipes/cures. Mix and match various ingredients to create your own receipe, or make one already prepared by Brock. Brock can be the one giving you the recipes! After, give the food/cure to your Pokemon to see if it likes it/ cures it. Mabye even help your pokemon gain a level by creating a very special recipe.

The possibilities are endless so I think there is much to be added.

pokemaster001

The possibilities are endless so I think there is much to be added.

agreed...
I think that you should make some sort of flying challenge, like when you fly, there's kinda like a dive in R/S/E only no wilds, and you can randomly fight bird trainers every now and then

I think that people should actually have something useful to say, some people need to have some sort of importance

Bring back everything, from the multiple regions to the multi-placed contests, and then some, there's so much the games lost that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun

give you a choice, I mean, come on, you're always stuck going to gym 1, gym 2... multiple side quests on the way, you save the world... blah blah blah, it would be much more fun if you had choices and they affect how the story goes

You've got to have a lot more stuff added to perfect it

porygonfan

I think that people should actually have something useful to say, some people need to have some sort of importance

Ooh that just gave me another idea. In Diamond/Pearl you can go wi-fi, wouldnt it be awesome if once in a while another person's player playing can be encountered as a trainer on your game, and you can send a message to him/her via wi-fi like "bring it on" or "let's battle" and they will receive it!

Your right the "bot" trainers as I call them always say the same thing.

BCVM22

I think that you should make some sort of flying challenge, like when you fly, there's kinda like a dive in R/S/E only no wilds, and you can randomly fight bird trainers every now and then

That's really not a very good idea. Fly is a warp system, first and foremost, a necessity in any game as geographically large as most core Pokémon titles. There is no good reason to needlessly overcomplicate something that's there largely to make travel easier and faster. Can you imagine just trying to fly to a city to use the Pokémon Center there and having to deal with some crap like a minigame or more trainers before getting there?

give you a choice, I mean, come on, you're always stuck going to gym 1, gym 2... multiple side quests on the way, you save the world... blah blah blah, it would be much more fun if you had choices and they affect how the story goes

More choices = more confusing = harder for the target demographic to play.

I realize some people think it's fun to theorize and brainstorm endlessly about what they think should go into a Pokémon title so it can fit their specifications exactly and I'll put $5 on at least one person shouting "STOP CRITICIZING OUR IDEAS!", but consider two things just the same:

1. If you're posting on this board, then chances are excellent that you are beyond Pokémon's target demographic, which is and always has been boys ages 6-11. If the games don't seem as fun or as hard as they did at one point, it's because you aged and your tastes matured (in theory), not because the games changed.

2. We've had four generations of at least three core titles a piece, and even as the handheld technology has advanced and improved to allow for new gameplay mechanics, there are clear and defined sets of elements, goals and mechanics that have remained unfailingly constant over the years. To call for change to those sets now is putting energy towards something that won't happen.

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
Nothing majorr, just little things like, when you catch a new pokemon and you have 6 already, you should have an option to send one of your party to the PC instead and put the new capture in your party.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?
That you could become Elite Four Champion, when you've beat the E4.

But that is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.