• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What would you IMPROVE about Pokemon games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

Let me say that this is not a make-up-crazy-feature/plot/useless crap thread. That'd go in the Create Your Own sticky. This is to talk about improvements that can be made to what is currently in the games.

1. The GTS: You need to be able to search for Pokemon that aren't in your Dex. Especially the starters. Maybe they could make a legendary exception so you really have to "work" for it, but I'm going to have to conduct a bunch of Wi-Fi trades to get pretty crappy Johto/Hoenn Pokes because I don't have their dex.

2. The Pokemon cries:

In Gen I, they were basically crappy MIDI files. But then a game called Pokemon Stadium came out, and they re-did all the cries! Charizard sounded like a fire breathing dragon, Pikachu like a little rodent, Meowth like a cat, Bulbasaur with a weird shout/scream. It was awesome. I was hoping that these voices would be made permanent to replace the BLEEP BLOOP midi crap.

It just really takes away from the game. I can send out Staraptor and get this crazy bird-like shriek, but when I send out Charizard, BLEEP BLOOP.

3. TMs need to be readily accessible. It's ridiculous that you may only get one TM that's in some hidden corner of a gym. IF they aren't available for purchase, make them available at the casion-place or the Battle Frontier/Zone. Access to all TMs isn't that much.

Jaguar297

I'm back!
Yeah, also, the Pokemon battle scenes. It
s always been good on the home entertainment systems but really bad on hand held games. They just stand there, with Flamethrower coming out of the bellys.....

PDL

disenchanted
3. TMs need to be readily accessible. It's ridiculous that you may only get one TM that's in some hidden corner of a gym. IF they aren't available for purchase, make them available at the casion-place or the Battle Frontier/Zone. Access to all TMs isn't that much.

Also, make all move-tutorable moves available in one game. I don't want to gamble on teaching Clefairy Softboilded in emerald and have it evolve into a Clefable without Magic Guard as it's ability.

PDL

disenchanted
Like in the show how some moves can be "dodged"...

This thread's about IMPROVING the game, not breaking it.

Do you want people to spam "dodge" in every move and make battles last a million times longer?

Unfortunately (Or not so. Depends on your point of view), the improved cries in the Stadium games were probably one of many things they dropped after the franchise went "Advanced". All these things were deviating from the true purpose in one way or another. I doubt Hal Laboratories would forbid Genius from using the improved cries in Colosseum/XD, though even that is a possibility. Still, they're all part of Nintendo, and Hal even kept the Pokémon development with the Ranger series. Whichever the reason, cries now stand as one thing which defines the Pokémon and isn't going to be changed unless there's some serious retconning. In a way, this is good because it's how it was first intended to be. Perhaps there was a desire to make them better, but it seems the developers have grown attached to the beeping cries, and want to keep them as they are. Else, I'm sure they would've changed all of the outdated ones by now (Which are the 1st and 2nd Gen cries), much like they always do with the Pokémon's sprites. So yes, I think it's part of a Pokémon's individuality now, and it doesn't seems it'll change anytime soon.

I do agree with the TM thing... to an extent. The entire gimmick of Gym Leader TMs focuses in them being uniquely owned by them. While this might change alongside the TMs themselves in future games or even different Regions (Such as Lt. Surge's original Thunderbolt, Blaine's Fire Blast, Whitney's Attract, Jasmine's Iron Tail, Brawly's Bulk Up and Tate & Liza's Calm Mind), it usually remains a constant that Gym Leader's TMs are solely obtainable from defeating them. I think a cool alternative would be to have them give you another one in games where you can have a rematch with them, but only if you have used the one they gave you before.

Of course, it's another story with these TMs you get from random NPCs or in the field, and that can't be bought anywhere else. Unless they're discontinued or sold out everywhere (Which makes some sense overall, but still), it's pretty annoying they're one-offs. But I guess the developers want us to figure out a way to make the best use of all TMs and find our ay around teaching them to our Pokémon... or make us buy another game solely for TM and other rare Items resetting. XP

What would I change? I really would like to have a Fame Checker in every game, since that was an awesome Item in FRLG that expanded upon the most interesting characters of Kanto. I'd also make it so the VS Seeker could work in caves and the like. I think that's pretty stupid and is a kick right down there when you're unable to rematch the toughest Trainers. :/

I'd also like it that they didn't take it so far with purchase bait. Namely, all the stuff Platinum added, most of which could have been in DP without any problem. I'll admit that the plot additions are alright, but they had already thought of the Battle Frontier in Emerald, and keeping it for the 3rd release is very cheap. The Battle Tower got first introduced in Crystal, and it was promptly included in Ruby/Sapphire. The same should have happened with the Battle Frontier. This is even more egregious when you realize they even dumbed down the gameplay in Diamond/Pearl, and such mistakes were "casually" fixed in Platinum. I'm speaking of the Bike dismounting when entering gates and the slow Surf speed. Just look back... the ONLY games that had you dismounting the Bike when entering gates were RED/BLUE/YELLOW. That was fixed starting with Gold/Silver. And not even in RBY we had a Surf speed slower than your regular walking. I don't think Game Freak are such amateurs with DS programming that such things were incredibly difficult to implement and had to be taken out. I am sure their motives were more heinous... namely, force a purchase. If you're not thrilled by the new add-ons, the vastly improved pace will hook you to get Platinum. That's extremely cheap and I didn't think they'd actually do such a low thing just to ensure purchase. It doesn't speaks too well of them, and it really detracts from their games. :/ And let's not get started on how the Platinum battles have been extremely speeded up in comparison with DP, even when you're pressing A constantly with the latter ones. However, this one is excusable. The Bike dismounting and the slug Surf speed... no.

Oh right... I'd like Gym Leader rematches to not be kept for a 3rd release as well. Another cheap way to force you to purchase the game. >>

I also would like to have the useful Move Tutors since the original duo Versions. Another cheap thing, but it's worse when not all of them come back for the 3rd installment... as it happened now.

Raikou_fan

I'de lower the encounter rate for pests like bidoofs and cave pkmn. Unless you spend ALOT on repels you can take two steps without running into something, especially in caves.

J'han

IrresponsibleCaptain
Gah, I agree with Raikou-fan. I hate cave pkmn. I never go in caves unless I absolutely have to.

I'd make it so roaming/fleeing legendaries don't exist. Hated that. WIth a passion. Especially since you could rarely catch them. I know, just use mean look right? well, none of my party ever have it, at least, not a pkmn of significant enough level to be involved in such a fight. Also, only caught a couple of them by transferring a master ball with my 3rd gen games.

THUNDER!!!

<So Many Stickers!
I would make it so you don't get attacked by Pokemon so much in Caves! or make it so that Pickachu can be a starter.

Maruno

I get a strong feeling that this thread will be locked anyway (by Erik Destler, I'm sure - he likes locking threads), and we'll be pointed in the direction of a "Gen 5 game ideas" thread (even though there's a difference).

But anyway, I'll throw in my opinions.

I'd like to see PP get a revamp, and have it changed so that a pokémon has a PP pool, like mana/magic bars in various other games. Each move takes a different amount of PP out of that pool, rather than each move having its own PP. It makes little sense when you've exhausted your Ember PP yet you can move on to Flamethrower. Ideally, there would be two PP pools, one for physical moves and one for special moves.

I'd also like to see Pokémon forget certain moves if they evolve into something that can't use them (e.g. pokémon that lose their tails but can somehow still use Tail Whip and other tail-based moves). They've managed this with Rotom now, and I'd like to see this mechanic applied more generally.

When rebattling trainers, I'd like them to go "!" and run at me like they do when we first meet, rather than have to talk to them to encourage a rematch. There's no reason for them to not be looking for fights, since their pokémon will have improved.

And as for caves, I'd like for there to be clear paths through at least much of them, similar to paths outside, and you'll only encounter pokémon if you stray from the path. Of course, much of the cave would not have clear paths, so if you wanted to explore you'd be forced to put up with lots of encounters, but if you just wanted to get through the cave you'd have a mostly clear path through it.

Last edited:

J'han

IrresponsibleCaptain
Boosh! Well done with the PP pool like mana... I love that idea, so long as they made it large to make up for the ability to not go to the next move.

Actually all your ideas are awesome.

Hive Mind

Is not a GIRL
^Ha ha, like Silcoon with Poison Sting. Makes no sense.

I want to be able to manually control where Fly goes.

Larry

That would be cool if in FR/LG they made Brock and Misty follow you after you beat them.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Really cool gimmicks in the Gym Leaders Building.
Bring back Whirlpool as an HM.
More evolutions to the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn-Sinnoh Pokemon.
If there's a 3rd BF. stay at 7 Brains, not 5.

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
I'd like to see the Contests improved and make them more animé-style, as the current contests are really boring. Maybe even a game dedicated to being a Coordinator? But I'd also like to see the Gyms bigger, with more trainers to battle.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Yeah, the contest gotta be like the anime. It's more cooler, I can tell.

Plus a Grand Festival wouldn't be so bad. If only they can make it for a seperate Wii Game.

Igottapoo

In my nightmares
I would get rid of contests. I know you dont have to do them but you get those annoying people who are like "oh sorry I can't give you the TM your Ninetails doesn't have enough ribbons." Things like that. Encouraging me to waste time with Poffins and stuff.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
I'd like to see PP get a revamp, and have it changed so that a pokémon has a PP pool, like mana/magic bars in various other games. Each move takes a different amount of PP out of that pool, rather than each move having its own PP. It makes little sense when you've exhausted your Ember PP yet you can move on to Flamethrower. Ideally, there would be two PP pools, one for physical moves and one for special moves.
To be honest I don't really like this idea. The amount of Power Points for each move is to restrict the amount of usage of the move depending on its potency (in general). You'd need to be a frequent battler to really understand, but Moves like Sunny Day and Stone Edge are very powerful and it would be rather ridiculous to let them be used a lot. Your Ember/Flamethrower example is reasonable, but for the most part, you won't have multiple moves of the same Type and Category on one Pokémon. And what would you do for Other moves?
I'd also like to see Pokémon forget certain moves if they evolve into something that can't use them (e.g. pokémon that lose their tails but can somehow still use Tail Whip and other tail-based moves). They've managed this with Rotom now, and I'd like to see this mechanic applied more generally.
I see where you're going with this, but again it's not always feasible. Stuff like Froslass using Crunch and Butterfree using Harden are quite odd, but often Pokémon have a middle stage where the moves don't seem reasonable for the middle line, but it works perfectly for the final Pokémon (Bagon-Shelgon-Salamence Crunch). GAME FREAK has never been really logical with moves, and I'm fine with it the way it is.
When rebattling trainers, I'd like them to go "!" and run at me like they do when we first meet, rather than have to talk to them to encourage a rematch. There's no reason for them to not be looking for fights, since their pokémon will have improved.
Good, but what if you don't want to battle? There would be no indicator if that Trainer wanted to battle as opposed to not wanting to battle, and there are plenty of times when I don't want to battle.
And as for caves, I'd like for there to be clear paths through at least much of them, similar to paths outside, and you'll only encounter pokémon if you stray from the path. Of course, much of the cave would not have clear paths, so if you wanted to explore you'd be forced to put up with lots of encounters, but if you just wanted to get through the cave you'd have a mostly clear path through it.
That just doesn't make sense in real life. If you really don't want to battle, use a Repel or have your Pokémon hold a Smoke Ball. The latter is still time consuming, but you don't have to battle. Caves are quite annoying, though, that's true.
2. The Pokemon cries:

In Gen I, they were basically crappy MIDI files. But then a game called Pokemon Stadium came out, and they re-did all the cries! Charizard sounded like a fire breathing dragon, Pikachu like a little rodent, Meowth like a cat, Bulbasaur with a weird shout/scream. It was awesome. I was hoping that these voices would be made permanent to replace the BLEEP BLOOP midi crap.

It just really takes away from the game. I can send out Staraptor and get this crazy bird-like shriek, but when I send out Charizard, BLEEP BLOOP.
Eh, I didn't really like the Stadium cries that much. Yes, some of the cries need to be upgraded (especially those that have two Pokémon using them), but I've just gotten so used to many of them that I'm content with it. And I don't like many of the 4th Generation cries.
I would get rid of contests. I know you dont have to do them but you get those annoying people who are like "oh sorry I can't give you the TM your Ninetails doesn't have enough ribbons." Things like that. Encouraging me to waste time with Poffins and stuff.
The Contests are a nice distraction from the standard game, but they need to make the method for them set in stone.

rukario590720

Dont hate.Appreciate
take out the event stuff. it's kinda a ripoff. have many more sidequests after the game is over so u won't get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.