• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What would you research if you were a Pokémon Researcher?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Pokemon breeding, specifically how eggs form. I know that the subject has been mentioned in several games, but it's never really been explained to the extent that I've wanted, so it's one of the few mysteries in the franchise that I would want to delve into further.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
I think a cool idea for a research topic would be to study a specific type of Pokemon. For example, I would be a Dragon Type Pokemon researcher. I’d research their origins and the various traits and genetics that would lead to such Pokemon being categorized into said type. I’d also study the essence of power that is used in dragon moves. In the real world, many zoologists and such will specialize in certain types of animals and I could see the same happening in Pokemon.

DR.gonzo

Always had interest in Reptiles and Amphibians , so reckon my research would lead down that path,
More out in the field type work too studying habitats and such .

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I'd want to study Pokemon fusion. How Pokemon can physically merge with other Pokemon and with humans. I'd want to research and create a new device that allows trainers to fuse with their Pokemon in battle. It would be the ultimate bond trainers could have with their Pokemon- one that would occur on a physical level.

I'd like to see an actual game mechanic like this, but it's probably unrealistic because it would require a ton of models to program. But if we're just talking hypothetically, that's not a factor.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I’d study the moves Pokémon can learn and how they function as well as how they could be used to help humans in certain situations. I’d also study type effectiveness and how each Pokémon adapts to different types of attack.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
I think I'd study the history of the Pokémon world, or just the origin of both Pokémon and the world, like 'how does a Pokémon get born from a pile of garbage?" That or possibly something similar to what Cynthia does, and look at the myths and legends of the Pokémon world.

MrJechgo

How about how easily can certain Pokémon learn and talk the human language? I feel like any Psychic-type could talk to their trainers via telepathy, and even non-Psychic-type can do that, like Ghastly, Entei, Lucario and Volcanion. Pokémon clearly have vocal cords and can understand the human language, but why did it take Meowth some time to speak normally, when other Pokémon can just think it into sound?

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
How about how easily can certain Pokémon learn and talk the human language? I feel like any Psychic-type could talk to their trainers via telepathy, and even non-Psychic-type can do that, like Ghastly, Entei, Lucario and Volcanion. Pokémon clearly have vocal cords and can understand the human language, but why did it take Meowth some time to speak normally, when other Pokémon can just think it into sound?
Entei and Volcanion can be explained due to being Legendary/Mythical, Lucario uses aura which can do anything relevant for the plot, and Gastly uses psychic powers? Ghost powers? I don't know. Though the idea of learning about Pokémon learning human language sounds neat.
There's also the inverse of that, seeing if humans can be taught Pokémon, which would also be an interesting concept.

MrJechgo

Entei and Volcanion can be explained due to being Legendary/Mythical, Lucario uses aura which can do anything relevant for the plot, and Gastly uses psychic powers? Ghost powers? I don't know. Though the idea of learning about Pokémon learning human language sounds neat.
  • Ghastly can learn Psychic moves, so that's the closest thing I could find.
  • Entei was a creation of a swarm of Unowns, which are Psychic-typed. Neither Suicune or Celebi don't talk in the 4th movie.
  • Volcanion... talks... without any reason. There's also the fact that Volcanion's mouth doesn't move, compared to Meowth which mouth flaps... a lot :p
  • Meowth learned the human language by practicing, but any Pokémon would get a head start, because they can already understand it; they just cannot speak it.
  • Pikachu also briefly talked in the movie that retold the 1st episode... mixed to negative reactions aside.
  • Speaking of Pikachu, in the very first episode, Ash is asking questions to Pikachu, including why he doesn't want to get into his Pokéball and if it's true that he can only say his own name... and Pikachu can answer Yes or No by nodding his head.
  • Detective Pikachu has a talking Pikachu and a talking Mewtwo.
I can compare this to Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, in which Wolf Link can talk to animals, including Epona, which recognises him and tell him to be safe and careful.

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I'd study items. I think it would be interesting to see how some pokemon are resourceful enough to adapt to the environment around them, how different pokemon react to natural and man-made tools. For instance trying to determine why the Light Ball only empowers Pikachu. Or why pokemon choose to carry certain items in the wild.