• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What would you say to dual-type attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I was wondering if they'll ever make attacks that have more than one element.
Doesn't really seem like a bad idea IMO.

A large majority of the current attacks are single element, but there are several moves that could be dual-type attacks.
Like Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch could all be Fire/Ice/Electric and Fighting. They can also introduce new dual-type attacks in future games.

What happens to STAB? If a Pokemon using a dual-type attack has just one of the types than ot gets the bonus.
(Like Electivire using ThunderPunch)

Super STAB - If a dual-type Pokemon uses an attack of the same 2 types, the attack is doubled instead of getting a 50% boost.
(Like Infernape, a Fire/Fighting type would have a Fire Punch with 150 base power.)

Super Omega Effective - In the rare event that a target is weak to both types of the attack, it will do 4 times the damage. So for example, if a Staraptor used Brave Bird (Which would be a Flying/Fire move) against a Heracross, first it would get Flying STAB. Than it gets juiced up more 'cause of the double type advantage. So if my math is right, that would be a 720 Brave Bird when used against bug types. (That doesn't have a secondary type that gives it some resistance like a Surskit would.)

I may have messed up on some of the machnics but you
get the gist of it. So what do you think about dual-type attacks?

Silverninetails

Quaaaaagggg~~~
Hmm. The Super Omega Effective moves will just unbalance the whole game. 4x weaknesses are already bad enough. But I suppose there will also be a Super Omega Resistance to offer some balance.

So, in conclusion, dual-type moves should be kept in small numbers. If not, many pokemon will end up in the Uber Tier. Consider Infernape. Swords Dance+ Double STAB Fire Punch =Prepare for a superheated death.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Moltres using a fire flying attack on dry skin parasect.

72x damage.

No.

Penguinist Trainer

I think this has already been discussed before. I think the overwhelming consensus was that dual type attacks would be an incredibly broken game feature. Especially considering some pokemon are completely immune to certain attacks. Not to mention how difficult it would be to implement.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Just no. Dual-typed attacks sound cool, but would make the game more confusing to older fans and would lose a load of younger fans.

Kenpachi

Flawless Technique
Yeah I realize after giving it more thought how crazy it would make things.
There would also be that small group who could exploit this and so badly
they would rocket to uber status. After giving it even more though, it's just
way too complex.

First, I completely agree! But not about your math, that much of a boost is too much, just the idea.

Second, "super omega"? How about Ultra Effective? or you know something less stupid.

Third, there can only be a few, particularly maybe one for each type. Mainly because there are attacks like Muddy Water that already give the implication that it is two elements. And Brave Bird should not be fire and flying, it can stay flying.

My List
Silver Wind - Flying/Bug
Sucker Punch - Fighting/Dark
Twister - Flying/Dragon
Icy Wind - Flying/Ice
Zen Headbutt - Psychic/Normal
Bullet Punch - Steel/Fighting
Doom Desire - Steel/Psychic
Muddy Water - Water/Ground

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
The problem with dual element moves?

Too game breaking.

We're talking about moves that can 1 hit KO anything with STAB and weaknesses. Ubers? They wouldn't have a change against a move that even without STAB deals 4x damage to them.

Jolley

No, it would totally unbalance and destroy the game. Things are good the way they are ;)

Alloute

Not Banned
I'd say "no way!"

Horrible idea, it would ruin the already crumbling structure of the game.

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
I would say, we just had this topic like a month ago and say what I said last time, which delves into the create your own topic
I think it' a terrible idea. Instead have moves that are able to be Super Effective on things they normally might not be.
Like a poison type move that's called like, Acid Storm, and it's super effective on steel types, rather than no damage. So, on a steel/ground, it would be neutral effectiveness. You could even potentially make a move thats effective on certain egg groups. Like, a cat like move that's supper effective on bird pokemon, really, I guess it's power would double. Similar in a way to bug bite when the foe has an berry, or grass knot on heavier pokemon.
I think 2 types is not the way to go, rather have very few that are modified outside their normal effectiveness.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Eh, I dont think this might happen, to be honest. And yeah, it would confusing and off-balance for the games. One Type is way enough for Moves.

~Magic Thunderbolt~

As mentioned above, it would be too game breaking. Imagine using an Electric/Rock move versus Gyarados... Or a Fire Punch destroying Lucario.

yeminied

It isn't likely to happen but it would be cool if double typing on moves could be put on a very very few amount of moves, like the elemental punches but aside from that very little else.

Cool feature to see but very unlikely to happen.

Cruisercard

It'd be too confusing.
So no.

IF IF, it happened, it would have to stay to a few moves, so that the whole game doesn't go 72x damage and stuff.

Here are my moves:

Will Of The Wisp: Fire/Psychic
PoisonPowder: Grass/Poison
Ice Punch: Ice/Fighting
Ice Fang: Ice/Dark
Ice Kick: Ice/Fighting
FirePunch: Fire/Fighting
Fire Fang: Fire/Dark
Blazekick:Fire/Fighting
Thunder Punch/Kick: Electric/ fighting
Thunder fang: Electric/ Dark

But the order that the 2 types attack with have to matter too. like Ice punch, the fighting would break the ice.

What that one guy said about the cats, that was cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.