• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's next for YOU in this franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diesglamouris

Actually, I'm excited.

Unlike some of yours, I never considered Satoshi as my childhood hero. Not more than Tai Yagami, Yugi Muto or Ikki Tenryo, for sure. But Pokémon is one of the least franchises I continue following until now. I like Pokémon not as a story of a boy, but as a universe that accompanied me in many stages of my life.

After rediscovering the franchise in 2009-2010 (and realizing this is a Japanese franchise with videogames, movies and more world than Kanto and Johto), Pokémon boosted my interest in Japanese language, anime, music and culture. Many of the most special memories of my life are associated with the days of Black and White / Best Wishes and even early XY, before quitting due to personal and study reasons.

I rejoined Pokémon in 2019, the same month Satoshi won the Alola cup. I watched XY and SM to caught up. XY was very enjoyable, I won't deny it, but SM felt so special and full of soul that I wanted Satoshi story to end there. Alola is the region that gave him the closest thing to a real family, after all. And I'm of those who prefer characters that grow with the fans. So when JN was announced and aired, it was a BIG disappointment for me, and the first chapters, although somewhat interesting by themselves, left me the impression writers didn't really know what could do with Satoshi. In fact, I quitted the series about one year, and rejoined mostly because of Koharu and Eevee's quest. Yeah, Satoshi was winning battles and stuff, but the mere existence of such a series felt pointless and soulless to me. Pokémon was not longer that series that inspired me to explore the world, meet many friends and not feel ashamed of being me in my late teens, but a broken illusion of what could be if writers had put a little soul and seriousness in their work.

Now that writers finally allow Satoshi to settle down and pass the torch, I'm optimistic about the future. It's even more important to me than letting him win the PWC. I was already excited after watching a Paldea gameplay, as the plot and the concept look very good (despite it's many flaws, obviously). And adding this brand new series (and hopefully with a decent plot and a lovely hero), this IX generation has the potential to become one of my absolute favorites.

Bye, bye, Satoshi. Always will live in our memories and our fanfics. I'm not nostalgic, but happy you finally are set free.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
The games? I will probably always buy, they’re pretty much the only games I enjoy.

The anime? It ends with Ash and Pikachu for me. I’ve always enjoyed watching Ash’s journey and I’ve always loved seeing where they’ll take him next. There’s literally just no enjoyment in the idea of it for me, without the infamous duo. So yeah, by the time these 11 episodes have finished ending, I will be 31 years into a life that had no business lasting so long (but that’s another story).. and 25 years after first watching Ash Ketchum pick his starter Pokémon and seeing Pikachu get brutally attacked by a bunch of Spearow in what remains one of the most heartbreaking moments in all of Pokémon, I will be stepping out..

It’s been wild, it’s had its highs and boy it’s had its lows.. but I’ve loved it all the way through. Good luck to those watching the SV series with the newbies, I hope that it’s all you’ve been looking for in a completely new Pokémon anime, but yeah.. it’s been a good run..

Geez my eyes, is someone playing Tears After The Cloudy Weather?

Sham

The Guardian of War
Business as usual

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Quite honestly, the anime was my window to the franchise and, in many aspects, the anime and Ash ARE Pokémon to me, specifically following Ash's travels until now.

The anime brought me to the games and I wasn't a teen anymore by that time. Still played the games because the anime was going. Not every saga was the best, but it was good to play while following whatever was the trouble Ash, pikachu and co. were into. So, Alola brought me Ash winning a league. Arguably, Alola hadn't the best of the leagues (better than Unova, at least), but, thinking about Ash be a regional champion clicked me as the things were finishing.

He won, it's done. Then, enter the switch era and I finish my personal ride with the games. Still play the older games sporadically, but, not feel myself compelled to follow the newer gens, because the anime basically reach what everyone thought it was impossible.

Ash is the world champion. Journeys as a whole was far from the ideal, but, it served a good and amazing conclusion to his journey.

Is he retiring? He had a good and long ride along with him. Time to moving forward, if that's the case. I'm done with the newer gens and I'd give a chance to an anime without Ash, but, I don’t feel need to follow it.

So...the Pokemon anime I knew ends with Ash, and that's it. It was fun enough.

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Still playing the main series games and Masters.

Stopped caring about the manga back in BW, though I occasionally did check to see if it got better through SM. It didn't.

Can't deny I'm sad to see Ash go, but I'm sure he'll cameo either in the new series or future AU movies.

I'm also excited to see how Riko and Roy's journey progresses. I just hope they get to stay longer than one generation, so they don't feel completely disposable like the manga protags post Gen 3.

Ryker101

Honestly I can see myself dipping out. Ash and Pikachu were a nice constant for me and gave me a good reason to keep watching. I might tune in from time to time but I don’t see myself getting that invested in a new journey, unless its really that good. As life has been progressively getting busier I’ll have less free time anyway, and who knows what’ll happen then

I am much more attached to the games than the anime but feeling like I’m ready to move on. Tbh Scarlet and Violet haven’t impressed me an awful lot, if the games are gonna be of this quality and keep coming out every 3 years these will probs be my last played one. Atm I’m feeling like I’ve made enough memories with the franchise and it’s best to cherish those rather than stay out of obligation

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I honestly think they’ll take the Digimon/Yugi oh route where they’ll be switching up new protagonists from here on out with a few subtle references of Ash and his friends. It was only a matter of time. I’m much more at peace with Ash and Pikachu leaving on a high note.

It still would’ve made better sense and had been perfect if Ash used his reserves in the PWC than his barely trained JN team who just so happened to be strong. Him being World Champion seem a bit off and almost less deserving because of this fact.

Observer

Mostly watching
Now I want a Pokémon/DC crossover.
Crobat-Man vs SuperFin.

If they ever do that then there are only two options.

1. The Teen Titans, because who wouldn't want to see Beast Boy transform into different types of Pokemon?

2. Superman and Mister Mxyzptlk, with that little imp from the 5th dimension they can go all out nuts.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I'm not going anywhere. I was a teenager when Gen1 came out, and I lost interest in the franchise during Gen2. I started coming back to it thanks to my kids finding Sun and Moon on Netflix and asking to play my old Gen1 games. And thanks to COVID, I've started collecting and playing the games again.

So I don't see myself going anywhere for a while. Ash and Pikachu's departure didn't surprise me, and I'm kind of excited to see where they take the show next. And I have a lot of Pokemon to play through still.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
Right now, I have the urge to talk about the anime a lot because I am in reflection mode, of not only Journeys but the entire series. I've watched this anime for 24 years or so, and this is truly a 'revolutionary' period for all of us fans who have stuck with this kids show. Based on all the activity here and other communities online, this is an exciting time.

Now once that 11-parter finale ends and the brand new saga gets well underway with Riko and Roy...then I don't know? I want to see how they frame the new series and the personalities of the protagonists. I'd probably watch the new series on-off like I did with Journeys.

Rune Knight

I don't think that I'll ever get over the idea of Ash and Pikachu not being around, but I have hope that we will see them again in some capacity.

At the same time, I look forward to seeing the new series and future projects and plan to continue being an active fan and viewer.

Last edited:

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Time to sit back & relax. I’ve wanted Ash to leave & pave the way to a new set of characters. Now I am just curious to see if the girl is Ash’s daughter because her eyes are Serena’s, and the hair color is definitely Ash’s, aside from the blue in it, and the hair pin is the symbol on Ash’s OG hat. It could be a nod to said hat or ………

Ashton Ketchum

Well, as Pokémon is not only anime, I will continue playing in games, and starts more active read a Pokémon Adventures manga. First of all, I’ll be waiting for Deluxe Edition of Pokémon Violet with all patches and DLC (especially, if we’ll surely get a Kalos DLC).

What about anime - I’m surely by fact that Ash’s story ended on imperfect saga like JN (XYZ was a much more perfect for ending), but still - as I mentioned that one of the biggest problems of SM and JN is that it still about Ash and Pikachu, I will give next series a chance. As Ash is not main character anymore, it may give me from new series a much better impression in comparison with SM and JN. If I’ll have a good impression - I will continue watching. If not - I won’t.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'd like to start this by saying, this is the right decision, even if it hurts like hell. Ash peaked, became the very best there ever was, and needed to be rested lest he become more stale and mischaracterised and destroyed. This is the perfect stopping point by all accounts now

I'll also continue with the Pokemon games, even spinoffs like Go and Masters EX, loosely follow the manga (i check up on it every now and then) and I will definitely watch the new anime and give it a chance. I hope it's good, I hope they make use of the unlimited potential they have. Pokemon as a whole is amazing, it has so much lore and possibilities. Not being tied down to Ash's past + breaking free from formulas and breaking free from just promoting the current games instead of the franchise as a whole leaves an entire sandbox of creativity and fun. Pokemon lore is amazing, it has potential to be absolute cinema

Now, while Ash and Pikachu are definitely not the entire franchise for me, they absolutely were a MAIN part of it and I was heavily attached to them. Seeing them go absolutely hurts, and I never quite imagined the extent of how it'll hurt until it did. I felt.....hollow
I actually felt upset IRL, last Friday when I watched all this live i actually got a lump in my throat, had to take a break and just felt really emotional, taking a break that day and being with myself and my emotions. It was impactful, I steered clear from anipoke stuff since then till today to allow myself to digest this, newsflash: I haven't digested it. It still feels UNBELIEVABLE. I'm not ready for this, and I'm really really sad. It feels empty a bit, and I'm going to cherish EVERY remaining Ash Pikachu moment I can

Here's to hoping the 11 episodes does my boy justice. They were as others said, the last remaining constants of my childhood and especially in the last month's an extreme source of comfort and escape.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Time to sit back & relax. I’ve wanted Ash to leave & pave the way to a new set of characters. Now I am just curious to see if the girl is Ash’s daughter because her eyes are Serena’s, and the hair color is definitely Ash’s, aside from the blue in it, and the hair pin is the symbol on Ash’s OG hat. It could be a nod to said hat or ………
Her eyes matches her mama May, Dawn, Serena, Melody, Lana, Bonnie, and most importantly, Goh.

Status
Not open for further replies.