• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's so good about "The Godfather" anyway?

Vernikova

Champion
I watched the movie a few weeks ago and I was originally going to post a thread about it after watching but I decided that I should wait a while to see how I feel later. I heard that many people claim that this movie is the greatest movie ever made (If not it's usually second on the list after Citizen Kane). I don't get what's so good about it really. The soundtrack was okay in my opinion and the I can admit the the acting was great but I didn't really enjoy the story. I actually had to watch it twice because I fell asleep the first time half way through.

So what exactly is s good about? What about it makes people say it's the greatest movie ever made?

finalname09

Na Na Niii
I don't remember The Godfather. Saw it years ago, I think it's okay (from bits of the film), maybe because I was just too young to appreciate it.

You cannot become a man until you watch this movie. It's the rules.

One of my favorite movies of all time. Great acting, great plot, great direction, great everything. Doesn't hurt that it's one of the very few film series to successfully pull off a sequel.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
I watched both part I and II. Didn't got into watching part III. Its one of those crime/gangster movies adding drama to the mix.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
If you need to ask after watching it, then it's probable you just won't ever 'get it'. Or maybe just rewatch when you're older :)

It's just...epic. The script, the casting, the acting, the cinematography, the music...its all flawless. Oh god, the music. *gets shivers everytime I hear 'speak softly love'*

It's okay not to like it though. Everyone raves about Casabalanca and that nearly put me to sleep. Ee gads, was it BORING.

mitchman_93

AND IT WAS THIS BIG!
Outside of Rumble Fish this was one of Coppola's greatest works. He took the novel and made it exactly how the book envisioned the life of a mobster. If only Omerta was made into a movie...

Armando Payne

I know how you feel, Godfather Part 2, put me to sleep, a quarter of a way through the movie.

Glaucous

The Sunken Gladitor
I think The Godfather is overrated. Carlito's Way and Scarface where much better in my opinion.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
You cannot become a man until you watch this movie. It's the rules.

Huh looks like I broke the rules I never watched the Godfather and have no desire to do so and I am a Man.

charizardfan

There's not really a whole lot you can say against "The Godfather" as a film. In every department - the writing, the characters and the actors who play them, the music, etc. - the film is nearly flawless. "The Godfather" has also had a considerable amount of influence, not only on popular culture, but on the crime genre itself. You don't get "Scarface" or "Goodfellas" without "The Godfather". "The Godfather" remains that standard against which almost every other mafia movie is held against. Whenever discussing the mafia's presence in pop culture, "The Godfather" is going to come in. It's where we get sayings like, "leave the gun, take the cannoli" and "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse". That's just how it is. And that's what's "so good" about it, and why nearly every big film critic creams themselves over it. Not only is it an excellently made film, the best crime drama out there, and one of Coppolla's finest, its impact on pop culture and the crime genre is undeniable.

And "Scarface" is the overrated movie, not "The Godfather".

Armando Payne

^ That's your opinion, but Scarface has more of an influence on popular culture, also "leave the gun, take the cannoli". nobody says that? So you're opinion's flawed.

charizardfan

^ That's your opinion, but Scarface has more of an influence on popular culture, also "leave the gun, take the cannoli". nobody says that? So you're opinion's flawed.
Of course it's my opinion. When did I ever say that it wasn't my opinion? And yes, Scarface does have its own impact on popular culture. I never said it didn't. Whether it not it has had more is very debatable, seeing as it also owes a lot to The Godfather in first place, but I won't deny that it's carved out it's own niche in pop culture. As for your comment that "nobody says that", I can tell you from first hand experience you'd be wrong. It's not as famous as "an offer you can't refuse", but it has been repeated.

On your last point, how in the world can my opinion be flawed?

Rave

Banned
I really enjoyed this movie a great deal. It's got class.

Armando Payne

I was just stating, because that sentence isn't well known? I've never heard it, and I've seen it, then your opinion that Scarface is overrated is flawed, that's what I was getting at.

KrayzieBuddha

英雄豪傑
There's not really a whole lot you can say against "The Godfather" as a film. In every department - the writing, the characters and the actors who play them, the music, etc. - the film is nearly flawless. "The Godfather" has also had a considerable amount of influence, not only on popular culture, but on the crime genre itself. You don't get "Scarface" or "Goodfellas" without "The Godfather". "The Godfather" remains that standard against which almost every other mafia movie is held against. Whenever discussing the mafia's presence in pop culture, "The Godfather" is going to come in. It's where we get sayings like, "leave the gun, take the cannoli" and "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse". That's just how it is. And that's what's "so good" about it, and why nearly every big film critic creams themselves over it. Not only is it an excellently made film, the best crime drama out there, and one of Coppolla's finest, its impact on pop culture and the crime genre is undeniable.

And "Scarface" is the overrated movie, not "The Godfather".

I watched both Scarface and The Godfather. I didn't really enjoyed Al Pacino's acting in Scarface. I got to say Godfather is more than just killing this and that.