1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What's The Best Place to Start?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by midnightslade, Apr 14, 2008.

1. midnightslade

midnightslade Well-Known Member

So I just got done reading Best of Red and Yellow and I've got to say, I'm hooked. I also just finished to Diamond and Pearl Adventures (which I understand is not related to PokeSpecial).

So my question is, where is a good place to go from here? Has PokeSpecial Diamond & Pearl released any volumes (in english) yet or are they still just in the magazines? If it doesn't have any volumes yet, what arc would you recommend? GSC? RS? Or that Emerald arc? I'm new to all this, so any and all suggestions welcomed.

2. brelili

brelili Call me Bri.

Well! D/P hasn't been released in volume form yet, but you're probably more familiar with the original characters, (Red, Green etc.) FireRed/Leafgreen is great, lots of action and general awesomeness. It also has a 2nd gen character, Silver, in it, so you might want to read up a little bit about him before you read.

3. Kaika

Kaika Haters gonna hate

It requires saving up alot of money, but I would suggest starting from the begining, and buying all of the volumes of both the Red and Yellow arcs because many important plot points were missed in the "Best of" volumes, from there, G/S/C, and so fourth. You wouldn't have to worry about ruby and Sapphire- but because Fire red and Leaf Green ended in a cliffhanger that will be resolved in the emerald arc- you might as well.

I guess in other words you'll have to buy the whole series- but at least start with buying the Red and Yellow arcs.

My personal two favorite arcs being G/S/C and FR/LG. =P

Oh, and if you are interested in other manga- you can find some used Viz-translated volumes of Ono's manga as well as Magical Pokemon Jurnies on Amazon, and both of them are good series too!

4. midnightslade

Ideally (and hopefully) I would like to have them all. But I can't right now. I don't even know how much shipping from Singapore would be so I might hold off until I can afford all or most of them to save on shipping.

Speaking of the cliffhanger, is it going to be resolved in the Emerald arc? For some reason (and I don't know why) I though they just left that cliffhanger and moved on to D&P and were going to return to it later. Or maybe that's the Emerald cliffhanger?

What's are these two based off of? Also I really enjoy Diamond and Pearl Adventures, has the artist/story creator of that series worked on other Pokemon Manga?

5. Well, just as stated before, Buy the full arcs of Red and Yellow. (You'll miss out on too much if you don't.)
    Then (if you can) Try to get the other books.
    I am currently trying to save up for all the volumes. (I might actually have enough to buy them, all I need is a debit card, because credit sucks)

6. Kaika

Kaika Haters gonna hate

I don't think that artist has worked on any other Pokemon manga. The Electric Tale of Pikachu (ono's manga) is loosely based off of the anime, the artwork (minus his habbit of drawing impossibly-huge brests on women) is really awesome, and the plotlines are pretty good too. Magical Pokemon Journies isn't based off of anything, it's a shoujou Pokemon manga it's pretty hard to describe really (but the art is adorable!)

Oh, and my general rule of thumb for shipping from singapore is just double the price.

7. midnightslade

The Electric Tale of Pikachu looks great, but is there another place to buy the four volumes other than amazon.com (and preferably in decent condition)? The last volume is going for a minimum of twenty bucks!

8. Kaika

Kaika Haters gonna hate

Unforunately not that I know of, the only other place I've seen is eBay, and they don't have the books in themselves, rather their mini-comic counterpart. Meaning you would have to hunt down all four issues of Electric tale of Pikachu, and then all four issues of electric pikachu boogaloo etc.

9. Phoenix Fire

Phoenix Fire scream your self

Well, if you do not know the story, then I suggest, reading Coronis's summaries on SPP.net. If you do not wish to, or simply don't have enough time, I could PM you, of a overview of what has happened so far, and you just just read the detailed bios instead. Whichever you prefer.