• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's the Buzz? [OU]

Sup CRMT, I'm just here to showcase my most successful experiment recently. I've recently been using a few NU Pokemon in OU just to see how they fare, since I find it more fun than using bog standard OU teams. I'm also looking at writing up a C&C article for the Pokemon featured in this RMT, so it has been nice to see it do well. Onto the team I suppose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dpmfa260.png
dpmfa212.png
dpmfa068.png
dpmfa485.png
dpmfa121.png
LitGhost.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dpmba260.png
@Leftovers
Torrent | Relaxed | 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
~ Stealth Rock
~ Roar
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Beam

Ahh Swampert, my lead of choice these days. Reliably sets up Stealth Rock except against Taunt leads, but he doesn't really fear a lot from common Taunt leads anyway. He's also a good check to Salamence just because of his bulk, which is nice. Stealth Rock is there because I like getting it up early, and it's crucial to any team these days since it helps restrict switch-ins from the likes of Gyarados and Salamence. Free damage never hurt either. Roar is for phazing, as my team kinda needs a way to scout out for Pokemon who could potentially beat my trump card. Earthquake is solid STAB backed off a respectable attack stat, and it's pretty hard to say no to STAB Earthquake. Ice Beam is nice coverage and helps with Dragons. Also nice to catch Breloom on the switch-in too (which it likes to do).

dpmba212.png
@Choice Band
Technician | Adamant | 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Def
~ U-turn
~ Bullet Punch
~ Superpower
~ Pursuit

Everyone playing OU should be very familiar with this bad boy's mug by now. Scizor is crucial to the success of my trump card as it helps take out a number of threats who could potentially stop my trump card dead in its tracks such as Blissey, Tyranitar and Snorlax. It's also a good scout in general, and helps revenge kill things such as Salamence and Tyranitar. U-turn is the scouting move of choice, and boy do I love spamming it. I love it so much I often forget that the opposing Pokemon is faster than me and kills me with some sort of Fire attack. -.- Bullet Punch is what made Scizor rise to #1, but tbh I rarely (if ever) use it. Helps to revenge shit though. Superpower is nice to catch Heatran on the switch-in, but again I don't think I've ever used it. It's mainly there for killing Snorlax. Pursuit I was a little iffy about keeping and contemplated running Quick Attack over it, but I decided to go with it just in case there was a random Rotom-a or something I could pick off.

dpmba068.png
@Leftovers
No Guard | Adamant | 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
~ DynamicPunch
~ Stone Edge
~ Rest
~ Sleep Talk

I needed a status absorber and something to take out the likes of Blissey and Empoleon, so I settled upon ResTalk Machamp. I haven't been disappointed so far (except for when I Rest twice with Sleep Talk vs Breloom after taking sleep), and the damage output it provides is astonishing. DynamicPunch is that brutal never-miss STAB attack with 100% confusion rate which screws over so many Pokemon, and I chose Stone Edge to complement it rather than Payback due to its ability to screw over Salamence and still dispatch Gengar. Rest is for healing and helping absorb status, and Sleep Talk is to prevent me from being set-up fodder while I sleep. Nothing special about this set.

dpmba485.png
@Choice Scarf
Flash Fire | Naive | 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power Ice
~ Explosion

Part three of my trump card supporting crew. I've come to love Scarftran for no apparent reason (maybe because STAB Fire Blast is so awesome, idk), and it helps take out Skarmory and sometimes be a third Blissey killer which is nice. Fire Blast is that awesome STAB attack which Heatran loves to dish out late game when other Heatran have disappeared, since it hurts everything except Blissey. Earth Power is for other Heatran, and predicting the Heatran switch-in is great fun. I use Hidden Power Ice rather than Dragon Pulse nowadays since Latias is nonexistent, and it's nice to threaten out random Ice-weak Pokemon with it. Explosion is a nice finisher, and I figure why not have it at least once on every team.

dpmba121.png
@Life Orb
Natural Cure | Timid | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
~ Hydro Pump
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Rapid Spin

My trump card loves spin support, and I figured Starmie was the best way to keep up offensive pressure, cover weaknesses and spin all in one. It's also another good Salamence remover and can even take Trick if I really deem it necessary. Hydro Pump is used over Surf here since an offensive Starmie loves that extra power and I often don't mind risking a miss. Thunderbolt is good coverage alongside Hydro Pump, allowing me to hit the likes of Vaporeon (even though I don't beat it). Gyarados hates it, which is nice, since my trump card hates Gyarados. Ice Beam covers Dragons and Grass-types, despite not being absolutely necessary. Rapid Spin is for crucial spin support, as my team hates stall almost as much as my trump card hates Stealth Rock.

dpmba284.png
@Life Orb
Intimidate | Modest | 40 HP/4 Def/252 SpA/212 Spe
~ Agility
~ Air Slash
~ Bug Buzz
~ Hydro Pump

I see you laughing, but Masquerain can actually hurt stuff. Sure, it needs its counters to be removed before it can even attempt to sweep, but when it gets that Agility off it's beautiful. The EV spread gives it enough speed to outspeed Scarftran at +2 by one point, and 40 HP means its HP is odd for Stealth Rock damage. Maximum SpA is crucial I figure, since it kinda needs as much as it can get in that department (even though 80 base isn't horrible). Agility is, obviously, the crux of the set, enabling me to outspeed a lot and get my sweep on. Air Slash and Bug Buzz are great STABs, and I figure Masquerain needs all the power it can get so STAB is essential. Hydro Pump has good coverage alongside Flying and Bug, and lets me kill the Heatran I'm EV'd to outspeed. It's also my best option against some Steels (ie Lucario).

So that is my current experiment, rate away.

First of all, Swampert is one of the worst leads in the game. It puts you at an immediate disadvantage against just about every other lead out there. And if it takes some damage before Mence comes in and sets up a DD it won't be taking that Outrage. I suggest swapping it for the Machamp as your lead and using the 4 Attack LeadChamp set:

Machamp@Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 att/ 252 def/ 6 speed
Moves:
-DynamicPunch
-Payback
-Ice Punch
-Bullet Punch

The lack of SE makes you lose against Gyara, but Ice Punch lets you OHKO Gliscor, and Gliscor is a pain to almost every team so that's always nice.

Also you seem CMRachi weak as the only poke that can take it out is Heatran and if the Rachi is Offensive CM Heatran is dead. You could run perhaps a quicker physical attacker to compensate for this, such as ScarfGon in Masquerain's position, but since that seems to be the base of the team maybe you don't want to do that.

Otherwise a semi-decent team, not anything I'd try to ladder with and try an NU out with but it seems thought out enough.

^Disagree with above poster about Pert as lead...try it first dude...

If a Gyarados gets a DD up it can take out your Starmie by outspeeding and KOing with SE or EQ (my team has the exact same problem) so consider changing to a bulkier spread as your only hope of stopping Offensive Gyarados is prevent it from setting up which can be difficult. Other than that just beware that Pert is your only thing that takes Electric attacks, and Masquerain is your only switch in to Ground which could be a problem if one of them were to go down. Still despite using a very odd late game sweeper its a pretty solid team.

^Disagree with above poster about Pert as lead...try it first dude...

If a Gyarados gets a DD up it can take out your Starmie by outspeeding and KOing with SE or EQ (my team has the exact same problem) so consider changing to a bulkier spread as your only hope of stopping Offensive Gyarados is prevent it from setting up which can be difficult. Other than that just beware that Pert is your only thing that takes Electric attacks, and Masquerain is your only switch in to Ground which could be a problem if one of them were to go down. Still despite using a very odd late game sweeper its a pretty solid team.

Umm I have used Pert as a lead and let's take a look at the other top leads in OU against Pert...

Azelf - Grass Knot for the OHKO and Taunts your rocks

Heatran - HP Grass OHKO, shuca allows it to live EQ if it decides to set up SR

Machamp - DPUNCH DPUNCH DPUNCH

Roserade - Sleep Powder/Leaf Storm

Aero - Taunts then SRs, that's Aero's role as a lead so you don't win if you kill it

Ninjask - No one that's good uses this piece of sh*t poke

Gross - Boom, even trade off

Rachi - lolol ScarfPert

Nape - See Aero

Tyranitar - CounterTar lead says ololol to your EQ antics

Hippo - SR then switch, Ice Beam can't OHKO him

Uxie - Free Screens anyone?

Smeargle - You fall asleep and he sets up rocks on the switch

Gliscor - omg you beat one lead good for you but it still gets SR up

Azelf - Grass Knot for the OHKO and Taunts your rocks

What Azelf lead carries GK? It can Explode and get its own Rocks up but thats it. Getting up Rocks isn't the main idea of Pert as against many leads his goal is to maybe get them up quickly, take them out, but mainly come back and be useful later as few other leads can say they are useful late game.

Heatran - HP Grass OHKO, shuca allows it to live EQ if it decides to set up SR

Lol...and I thought GK lead Azelf was rediculous...again it can Explode and note some Pert leads carry Protect for this to get a free kill.

Machamp - DPUNCH DPUNCH DPUNCH

Switch to ghost, burn, laugh. You can even get up your Rocks without a problem if you take a Dpunch without hurting yourself.

Roserade - Sleep Powder/Leaf Storm

I admit this is one of its worse matchups.

Aero - Taunts then SRs, that's Aero's role as a lead so you don't win if you kill it

Too bad Perts goal isn't to prevent Rocks. Usually teams with Pert don't care if the opponent gets up Rocks. Again Pert often has to come in later to get up Rocks and Shuffle their team around.

Ninjask - No one that's good uses this piece of sh*t poke

Agreed

Gross - Boom, even trade off

Protect...lol

Rachi - lolol ScarfPert

Pert gets up Rocks, but gets a Scarf... Being locked into Roar later on isn't bad seeing as thats what his main goal is late game anyway. Not Rachi's best matchup...but not exactly Perts either

Nape - See Aero

Ape doesn't Taunt so its nothing like Aero and it sure as hell don't carry GK. This is one of Perts better matchups.

Tyranitar - CounterTar lead says ololol to your EQ antics

LeadTar may win if it has counter but who says it won't go for Rocks and you ruin your suprise? (which some people expect anyway) You may get up your Rocks too but if you play wisely its a draw.

Hippo - SR then switch, Ice Beam can't OHKO him

You both get Rocks Hippo takes damage...this is not in Perts favor how? When he switches hit him with Roar and your opponents strategy will take a turn possible for the worse.

Uxie - Free Screens anyone?

Uxie has only recently become popular and I admit this is bad for Pert as he would end up leading to set up fodder, but why leave him in?

Smeargle - You fall asleep and he sets up rocks on the switch

Smeargle is another lesser used lead like Uxie but since combined their usage only equals under 4% that is only 4% of leads that you are getting screwed by, of course you can add Roserade and make this around 6.5% but that isn't very many battles in the long run.

Gliscor - omg you beat one lead good for you but it still gets SR up

Yep...Pert wins this one.

Overall Pert is not a bad lead. He may not focus on "getting up rocks and dieing" like everything else but that doesn't make him a bad lead by any means. Though whether Pert is the right lead for this team is openly debatable.

Machamp leads pack Lum Berry and Payback for Ghosts that try to hinder it or switch in on Dpunch. I also don't see a single ghost on his team so yeah, we're talking about his team not someone else's.

Azelf and Tran pack Grass Knot and HP Grass to handle Pert leads specifically.

Machamp leads pack Lum Berry and Payback for Ghosts that try to hinder it or switch in on Dpunch. I also don't see a single ghost on his team so yeah, we're talking about his team not someone else's.

On his particular team yea...he doesn't seem to do well against Machamp leads which have gotten annoyingly popular...hell Machamp has gotten annoyingly popular in general.

Azelf and Tran pack Grass Knot and HP Grass to handle Pert leads specifically.

I have yet to see Azelf or Heatran carry Grass moves for Pert, yet it has been a while since I have used lead Pert so maybe this is a more recent trend...

Rhys29

Encore
Pert is a bog standard lead and the bog standard lead is easily predicted around and easily defeated by a lot of standard leads. It's just bulky enough to throw Stealth Rock down and maybe take a hit or two. It's an overrated lead. Azelf does not carry Grass Knot for Swampert, only offensive anti-leads do.

This team's sweeper is a joke. Base 80 Sp.A is pathetic. x4 Stealth Rock weakness paper thin defenses means it will never set up on anything bar perhaps Earthquake or an incredibly lower powered non-STAB Fighting move. Yay, it can outrun ScarfTran. Oh wait, it fails to secure a OHKO with LO Hydro Pump even with Stealth Rock. Saying you want to be original and use an NU does not justify using one of the worst pokemon in the game. Rethink your sweeper or this team will suffer.

First of all, Swampert is one of the worst leads in the game. It puts you at an immediate disadvantage against just about every other lead out there. And if it takes some damage before Mence comes in and sets up a DD it won't be taking that Outrage. I suggest swapping it for the Machamp as your lead and using the 4 Attack LeadChamp set:
I would, but I need Machamp to get rid of Blissey, and there's no way in hell I'd be seeing Blissey come in that early in the match against something which it loses to.
If a Gyarados gets a DD up it can take out your Starmie by outspeeding and KOing with SE or EQ (my team has the exact same problem) so consider changing to a bulkier spread
I'll try this out, thanks.

Lugia4ever

LC Koffing Abuser
First of all, Masquerian has a DREADFUL speed. So if you if you even want it to get kills in the OU enviroment, I reccomend ditching Agility for Stun Spore. Even Agility will not boost Masquerain to the level you want it to. so you have to do 2-3 boosts. By then, Masquerains Dreadful defenses will not handle 2-3 turns of self boosting. Stun Spore cripples others making you only require one or no boosts. Or get a BPer to get speed boosts and SpA boosts. ( do any of them have Nasty plot)?

Besides this I see a strong team. One that resists many OU threats pretty well. By the way I put the EVs and natures on mine.

Lugia4ever

Masquerain with the given EVs at +2 will outspeed Timid 252 Jolteon and Naive 252 Scarftran, so there is no issue with speed as far as I am concerned.

Masquerain with the given EVs at +2 will outspeed Timid 252 Jolteon and Naive 252 Scarftran, so there is no issue with speed as far as I am concerned.

Yea, the problem is power not speed. If you are willing to try something less creative you could always pick Yanmega who can set up Speed more easily without costing a moveslot, and can use Hypnosis to defeat things it cant kill and HP Ground to kill Tran which Hydro Pump does not on Masquerain.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Why can't you use something like empoleon to be an agility sweeper? It does much better.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Yeah, but you don't test something that is totally inferior to another.