• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Whats the deal with Missingno ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash_n_dash

Dark Trainer
How on earth was missingno put into the pokemon red and blue games (not sure if it was on yellow.. help me out here), I mean was it a glitch ? or did the game designers purposely put missingno in for some odd reason or just for a humerous cause. Ive always thought long and hard as to why or how it was put into those games, so if anyone has any idea about it let us know asap because it is bothering me ! Thanks :)
- PS. (did anyone catch it? haha :D I got a lvl. 149 missingno in my Pokemon Blue PC)

Blazios

It's a glitch that was not meant to be in the game. There have been glitch Pokémon in every main game.

Apparently it was caused by a lack of memory in the game.

Last edited:

Eeveelution01

Eeveelution lover
I heard it was like a test pokemon the designers used to test the game out. They just failed to remove it successfully afterwords...but my sources aren't very reliable, so don't quote me or anything.
I wouldn't dare catch him, but I have used him for the nifty Item glitch he provides. (tons of master balls, anyone?) :)

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
It was just data that they hadn't cleared or something from the game. From it's Bird typing, it was obviously left from the beginning of development and was never completely removed from the code.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it.

Pokefan0234

Ka-Ra-Tay!
Missingno. appears because of some long, complicated problems involving a lack of memory and a poorly-designed island. It wasn't meant to be in the game, therefore it is called a "glitch" Pokemon. I was probably a default for a flying-type Pokemon (hence its "Bird" typing) that was never completed.

I caught it sometimes. I stil wonder how something level 149 just turned into level 100 after you use it in a battle.

i remember i encountered glitch city/missingno by accident...i had nightmares after that...but ya now its just a fun thing to remember...

Surfing_Pikachu

Alloute

Not Banned
A common glitch in many Pokemon games my friend =^_^=

Go here for the full article.

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
I remember that I never stumbled upon Missingno., but I came upon a Rare Bad Egg in Gold or Silver. And it killed my game completely. I was shocked!

Missingno.7-4468

Model 7-4468
MissingNo. only appears in Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow.(Much harder to get in Yellow) The reason why it appears is because the data storage area that they used to store the Old Man event is in the same place aas the Wild Pokemon Data. Cinnabar Island has no Wild Pokemon data, and it uses the last data that was used. If you just did the Old Man event, then that data is used. I can't remember how the name of your character changes the Pokemon though. I'll ask at Glitch City Labs.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Nobody really knows for sure, and the multiple theories in the posts before me only help prove that. What really stumps me though, is that why does he have an original sprite?

He doesn't. Look closer; you'll see the sprites for your character.

derekkoch

Ich bin der Kapitän
it is caused by the fact that their are 256 slots and only 151 pokemon in the dex so filler was made as a glitchy side affect

Missigno was not deliberately put into the game, because that would be stupid to do something like that

it is a glitch, but a glitch that i love :D

Status
Not open for further replies.