• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

what's the difference between.......

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
ok so my friend told me that there is a difference between way the japanese make pokemon team's and how there strategies work together and the way we make teams and play in battle.he said something about american version is about strength and the Jap's is more strategy.so can any1 plz give a straight answer cause im confused???

SimChao

The Furret Fanatic
I think you pretty much answered your own question...

The Japanese play with style, finesse, and originality. They tend to use a bigger variety of Pokemon, so Japanese players are generally harder to predict. They actually understand the concept that Pokemon is a game, not a lifestyle, and have FUN with it. This is why I respect the Japanese.

The Americans play with brute strength. "Competitive" players (aka The Nerdy Pokemon Chess Club) use a set tier list that they follow inch for inch when making their teams, and build their teams attempting to "counter" everything instead of just choosing some damn Pokemon and executing a certain strategy with them (too hard to most of them, apparently). They take the game too seriously. Because of this, 90% of American competitive battling teams look nearly identical. (Garchomp, Rhyperior, Blissey, blah blah blah standard fare.) Americans = sheep. Not only in Pokemon, but in everything that we do - we are sheep.

The good thing about this, though, is that the American standard teams don't know how to handle anything outside of the standards, which leaves them open to a lot of things. I've shut down whole teams of OU's in 3 vs. 3 with my Sunny Day Vileplume/Ninetales combo and Rain Dance Lumineon/Ludicolo combo which I find HILARIOUS.

The younger kids (from either country) tend use Pokemon with gigantic stats (aka Ubers) to make up for their general ineptitude at the game.

There are exceptions to all of these, obviously. There are quite a few Japanese that play the American style of OU competitive also, and there are Americans that play to have fun and be original. The latter are an extreme minority, though.

That pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:

Falco320

The Golden summit!!

The Japanese play with style, finesse, and originality. They tend to use a bigger variety of Pokemon, so Japanese players are generally harder to predict. They actually understand the concept that Pokemon is a game, not a lifestyle, and have FUN with it. This is why I respect the Japanese.

The Americans play with brute strength. "Competitive" players (aka The Nerdy Pokemon Chess Club) use a set tier list that they follow inch for inch when making their teams, and build their teams attempting to "counter" everything instead of just choosing some damn Pokemon and executing a certain strategy with them (too hard to most of them, apparently). They take the game too seriously. Because of this, 90% of American competitive battling teams look nearly identical. (Garchomp, Rhyperior, Blissey, blah blah blah standard fare.) Americans = sheep. Not only in Pokemon, but in everything that we do - we are sheep.

The good thing about this is, though, that the American teams don't know how to handle anything outside of the standards, which leaves them open to a lot of things. I've shut down whole teams of OU's in 3 vs. 3 with my Sunny Day Vileplume/Ninetales combo and Rain Dance Lumineon/Ludicolo combo which I find HILARIOUS.

The younger kids (from either country) tend use Pokemon with gigantic stats (aka Ubers) to make up for their general ineptitude at the game.

There are exceptions to all of these, obviously. There are Japanese that play the American style of OU competitive, and there are Americans that play to have fun and be original. The latter are an extreme minority, though.

thanks for the help.

SimChao

The Furret Fanatic
No problem.

In addition to what I said there, not ALL Uber players are little kids. Some people happen to love those Pokemon. Generally, though, if you run into a team of 6 Ubers on PBR Wi-fi, they are probably a young kid/suck at Pokemon/power hungry.

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
No problem.

In addition to what I said there, not ALL Uber players are little kids. Some people happen to love those Pokemon. Generally, though, if you run into a team of 6 Ubers on PBR Wi-fi, they are probably a young kid/suck at Pokemon.
yeah your probably right my next door neighbor beat the game just so he could use the legendary pokemon.he didn't even train anything he just trained his empoleon.

Edit:also i forgot to mention that the kid had the nerve to say that his pokemon were way stronger than mine since they are legendary so i offered him a 6 on 6 battle and K.O.'ed his pokemon the look on his face was a KODAK picture moment.

also i need to know what are some strategy's the japanese use???

Last edited:

kirbical

the ultima breeder
watch the pbr videos,

that is how i learned to be a better trainer and win while haveing fun! basicly most of us forget this is a game, i almost fell in to it untill i learned from the japanease pbr videos.

That is not true! l am europian and l have strong pokemon as well which you never would expect to be usefull!
While they are actually very usefull! Not only japanese plays unpredictable! Besides, how a player plays depends on the player it self, and NOT on his nationality.

So no, Being Japanese dont give you the power to be original, you as person can choose to be original if you are smart enough, no matter where you live and who you are, every kind of people can be inteligent americans europians and japanese and everything else.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Ya ive always keeped my roots, even though im an American player. I use what i like and love to have fun. Almost all me teams i make have a Venusaur on them, sense there my favorite. And i find its a better feel for a win when you use pokes you like and not whats "tier lv". I mean sure i have some OU pokes on my team like Electrvie but i dont build my team around them. But ya battleing is about fun, not following a chart by the book

Dreiko

Dragoon Paragon
I'm greek/american and i started being a pokemaniac from when i was just greek back when pokemon was new , i got introduced to EVs and stuff about 5 months ago so i made up my teams to be the best with IV and EV training but from my early roots i have the original combos that you guys talk about. And i'm also in the category of the very few who like to use legends cause they just like em and not just for their power....i wouldn't use em unless my opponent agreed to it however since it would be unfair but i never lost the way little kids lose with em. My dear lugia has owned many other ubers and they were so weak that it really was no different than any other normal poke :p.

Eryc

Psyduck Impersonator
I do tend to go for power a lot, but I also like it when my pokemon look nice.

That's why, in my team I have Empoleon, Infernape, Dragonite, Bellossom, and Gardevoir. (Loved it since my Sapphire version.) I'm still wondering what my last one will be, cause I originally planned to have Tyranitar in there but then I thought how unoriginal that is and how so many people would have it.

But, I also went Pokeradar hunting for my Gardevoir which took FOREVER. But it all payed off with the nature and ability I got. Modest, and Synchronize.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I would've preferred Trace. It's more interesting that way. My life has seasoned me to adapt well to situations I don't see coming. I'd like to see how I'll fare in the Rental Cup, since that'll test that ability I have.

I'm also noncompetitive by nature; I don't care if I'm #1 or dead last...Well, I care if I'm #1 at something, but I don't want to do it in a traditional way.

Regarding Europe, it seems to be a mix of the Japanese and American styles of play. It'll be interesting when PBR is out for all three places, since we'll get to see how these styles will clash. And we'll all let our ethnocentrism shine through.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
it takes both to be good
ur friend has started a myth

Dreiko

Dragoon Paragon
I would've preferred Trace. It's more interesting that way. My life has seasoned me to adapt well to situations I don't see coming. I'd like to see how I'll fare in the Rental Cup, since that'll test that ability I have.

I'm also noncompetitive by nature; I don't care if I'm #1 or dead last...Well, I care if I'm #1 at something, but I don't want to do it in a traditional way.

Regarding Europe, it seems to be a mix of the Japanese and American styles of play. It'll be interesting when PBR is out for all three places, since we'll get to see how these styles will clash. And we'll all let our ethnocentrism shine through.
As an originally european pokemaniac...with the exception of the british who seem almost exactly like american players i'd have to say we're much more like the japanese with interesting new combos but not lust for power. Rather there's a lust for innovation and cool new way to win while having your opponent puzzled by the way his super duper mewtwo lost to the measly lvl 10 rattata :p.

loopy100

Hasty Ho Oh
Again the above is hardly true.

I'm a british player and tend to have, as you put them, Lower tier pokemon on my teams. I play with who i like. Not with some random set crap. I like to play interestingly, Quick Attack and ExtremeSpeed are always a bonus against Heracross tho ;)

Tactics for me play a much larger role than they did. This was shown to me when i started playing NB against people. I had formed a fairly rough team of pokemon I liked, and then continued to change it and there moves for more tactical approaches.

I'd say i hardly play the Power card, even tho i am quite capable of pulling it off with support moves.....

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
ok ppl can you stop posting here its going to turn out into a flame war!!!

syvarris

Fuhrer
my team dosent compose any of thwe high tier well maybe weavile but hes just awesome my main team is
charizard-trained for spattack as well as attk
toxicroak-oh yeah
politoad-attk master with ne things especially waterfall becoming physical
espeon-good
luxray/jolteon-i rotate
weavile-pure destructive power

SimChao

The Furret Fanatic
That is not true! l am europian and l have strong pokemon as well which you never would expect to be usefull!
While they are actually very usefull! Not only japanese plays unpredictable! Besides, how a player plays depends on the player it self, and NOT on his nationality.

So no, Being Japanese dont give you the power to be original, you as person can choose to be original if you are smart enough, no matter where you live and who you are, every kind of people can be inteligent americans europians and japanese and everything else.

He asked specifically what the difference is between the typical Japanese style of playing Pokemon and the typical American style... I never said anything about Europeans being unoriginal. And I never and I never said that the Japanese are the only players who are original, I simply stated that most American players use the most standard Pokemon and copy each others exact
team builds and movesets, which is true. Go into any RMT at Smogon and you will see what I mean.

I also specifically recall saying that there are exceptions -- that not all Americans are unoriginal, and that there ARE players who play competitively whilst also incorporating original strategies as well (like me, and several other posters in this thread). However, the general consensus of American competitive players use nothing but bog standard Pokemon, movesets, and strategies, and you CANNOT deny this.

R_N

The good thing about this, though, is that the American standard teams don't know how to handle anything outside of the standards, which leaves them open to a lot of things. I've shut down whole teams of OU's in 3 vs. 3 with my Sunny Day Vileplume/Ninetales combo and Rain Dance Lumineon/Ludicolo combo which I find HILARIOUS.

There are exceptions to all of these, obviously. There are quite a few Japanese that play the American style of OU competitive also, and there are Americans that play to have fun and be original. The latter are an extreme minority, though.

Bravo(or Brava), Sim, Brovo(Brava).
That basically sums up most people-though there are obvioudly exceptions(as you said), adn is basically why I don't post my teams in RMT. I mean, heck, I play with a Honchkrow-I don't think that'll see much OU play and-wait you beat a OU team with a LUMINEON?!/! I thought Lumineon was one of hte worst DP water pokemon...

Barletta

yea u pretty much answered ur own question...........
i spose its cuz the games are made in japan lol

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Bravo(or Brava), Sim, Brovo(Brava).
That basically sums up most people-though there are obvioudly exceptions(as you said), adn is basically why I don't post my teams in RMT. I mean, heck, I play with a Honchkrow-I don't think that'll see much OU play and-wait you beat a OU team with a LUMINEON?!/! I thought Lumineon was one of hte worst DP water pokemon...

Heh, I've dipped into every single tier. I truly don't discriminate. I've trained Wobbuffet; I've trained Jolteon; I've trained Masquerain.

I've also wondered myself about Lumineon strategies. It doesn't seem to have the stats to take stuff out quickly or endure many hits, and it doesn't seem to learn anything marvelous. I figured it was mostly Contest material.