• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

what's the difference between.......

Nobody's Nerd

Electric Engine
Even though I've been a steady player since Red first came out, the first time I really ever heard about EVs or any other competitive battle strategy was when I first started checking Serebii regularly for XD updates. While waiting for XD, I naturally checked out the rest of the site and found all of the game mechanics and Pokemon of the Week articles, which helped my game a lot. Anyway, I would just like to say that I have been a loyal Ampharos user since his introduction and I will own you all. ;)
Seriously.

But that's what it's all about, isn't it? Even though Ampharos is generally regarded as an average-good pokemon who got screwed over with a sub-par moveset, he's always been my favorite Pokemon (after I got over PInsir from the R/B/Y generation). So that's my strategy: to use good Pokemon that I like using.

PaperMoon07

PKMN Breeder Paper
I started using top tier Pokemon when I decided to get into competitive battling, and I'm regretting it now. Using the same Pokemon as everyone else is so boring. Considering the fact that there are literally hundreds to choose from, there really should be more variety in parties, shouldn't there?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm training a Masquerain right now. Such a cool Poke... what movesets do you recommend for it? :)

Well, mine is a Choice Scarfer with 31 EVs in Special Attack and Speed. (Call me lucky for that.) The amount of types of Special moves it can do is surprisingly good. It can do Water, Ice, Bug, Flying, Grass, and Ghost, based on what I can remember, not including Hidden Power.

^^; I've always played "Pokemon I like" style (1st gen this meant "Yay lv84 Blastoise and lv15 Pikachu!...), though I do still try to have a type-balanced team. However, it also means that I always have at least one Pokemon who is completely unusable for, for example, the E4-- Butterfree/Delcatty/Pachirisu/Azumarrill type stuff. >< I'm so a 4-year-old-girl in an adult's body. Cute things make my team more full of yay. ^___^ Cute things are imperative for happiness.

Heh, of those four, Delcatty is the only one I haven't been able to find a use for. Butterfree's good Special Attack and Speed make it great for Choice items or the Life Orb (Beautifly is more suited for the Choice Scarf though). If you train Butterfree in Speed, Sleep Powder is a must; it's one of the faster Pokémon to know that move. Pachirisu is best trained defensively; its Special Defense is considerable combined with the fast Speed chaarcteristic of Electric types. I've seen Pachirisu with Super Fang, Swagger, Protect, and Thunder or Thunder Wave) wreck opponents. And Azumarill...the Huge Power Ability makes it more than competent.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
IMO...

DP Wifi: Competitive Teams since they are ALL arranged fights, and you know the standards of what the other people want.

PBR: Fun game. I will be using my favorites, with my Porygon-Z always at the front.

Sadly though, when you have tiers (Which I use in DP...) you actually get more favorites, and when you USE those favorites, it tends to make you look bad in a fun game...

EX: I've recently gotten to e a really big fan of both Swampert and Dusknoir, simply because of appearance more and more. Yes, it started simply as "Best. Wall. ever." but the more I use them, the more I like them simply as pokemon.

And on that note, let me say I will never use Blissey. EVER. Yes, I used it a couple times on my NB team. YES, it is probably the best sspecial wall EVER. But it's a huge ball of pink ugliness. >__>

eh so you made an accout Teej? sweet. Ya im useing D/P for Competitive sense im a Gym Leader in a league but PBR will be with all my Favorites

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
ok so Pokemon Battle Revolution comes out in 2 days lets see if what most ppl are saying is true hmmm.

SimChao

The Furret Fanatic
I think incorporate both strategies so we can have fun while being competitive

A great way to play, and PBR seems to promote this style of play even more.

I've recently gotten to e a really big fan of both Swampert and Dusknoir, simply because of appearance more and more.

Someone else who likes Swampert for reasons other than "ZOMG STANDERRD LOLZ". I personally love Swampert... it just looks so goofy and lovable, coolest starter ever and one of my favorite Pokes. ^_^

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
so after making this thread has any1 posted an answer for me.

D-Boi

Bitter Twist
so after making this thread has any1 posted an answer for me.

LOL. Dude, you're a little late on it. Question's been answered from the beginning. I'd tell you to reread your thread, but I feel the need to say something.

I play with favorites also, but it's a shame that I won't be able to play a couple of my favorite because of their "uber" status(Lugia & Giradina) over Wi Fi.

Playing with your favorites is what the whole game is about. Playing to win is a lifestyle with most trainers here(i.e. Smogon, Competitive battlers, gamers in general). But to get the full experiance, play for fun. You'll truly benefit from it because in the end, you feel good about yourself knowing you're good at something.

BTW, Different cultures from different continents think differently than Americans and the British. Most of us just choose to do whatever is necessary to win, even if it means copying someone else's style of battling right down to the bone of things. If this grows onto more players, it'll turn into nothing more than Paper, Rock, Scissors. And that alone can and will get boring really fast. Keep the spirit of battling friendly alive people. Thank you.

~Ak-Nolij

Shiny Ho-Oh

Wow SimChao. You REALLY summed it up and answered tons of questions.

Did anyone battle a Japanese person on wifi of PBR? I only fought 1.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣

About half the people I have battled on Wi-Fi have been Japanese players.

SimChao

The Furret Fanatic

Why, thank you. :) And yes, I've battled a few. Differences in time zones make it hard to find Japanese opponents, sometimes.

BTW, Different cultures from different continents think differently than Americans and the British. Most of us just choose to do whatever is necessary to win, even if it means copying someone else's style of battling right down to the bone of things. If this grows onto more players, it'll turn into nothing more than Paper, Rock, Scissors. And that alone can and will get boring really fast. Keep the spirit of battling friendly alive people. Thank you.
~Ak-Nolij

Well said. I'm tempted to sig that, actually.

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
so shoukld we keep this thread open for any other ppl who need a question answered???

tinfoil

I just use my team from Pearl. I don't care if I lose. Though it is fun when I KO a huge Dragon type legendary Pokémon with my Lopunny.

Luke the Almighty

Kickin' Gastly
How many Americans that read this thread are gonna get angry and try to make a Japanese-like team? With just having fun, not caring, etc...

I know I am! XD

PsychicsRox

No problem.

In addition to what I said there, not ALL Uber players are little kids. Some people happen to love those Pokemon. Generally, though, if you run into a team of 6 Ubers on PBR Wi-fi, they are probably a young kid/suck at Pokemon/power hungry.

Hey you! Not all kids are uber users.

Hypershell

Dragon's Best Friend
SimChao, your post at the beginning of this thread is one of the most intelligent I've seen. Good show. =D
(And yes, I am American, Pennsylvania to be precise. Like he said, there are exceptions.)

Well, I try to balance with a mix of strategy and personality. I don't think I could ever be convinced to make a team without Dragonite. Aerodactyl, on the other hand, isn't a Pokemon I cared much for until recently. I used to think of him as overrated, but it's pretty rare to find a physical sweeper as fast as him, and his stat/type combination fits snugly with one of my opening strategies. Mewtwo is also a matter of personal preference (combination of nostalgia and the fact that he's my favorite anime character), otherwise I'd likely go with Kyogre or Dialga as my Uber.

I think your Pokemon teams express who you are, as much as PBR's trainer customization does. That's why I keep Dragonite in a Luxury Ball, to let the world know he's my favorite. It's also one of the reasons why I've never raised a Slaking, even though he ranks among my most feared non-promotional Pokemon. Flygon over Garchomp was mainly a personal preference decision, as well (although Flygon does have a perk or two for him). I read Serebii's Pokemon Of The Week to educate myself, but I don't always agree with their train of thought. Sometimes I get a pretty standard moveset, as with Lapras. Other times I can come up with some wonky stuff.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Of course, those teams that come completely off of expert suggestions, the cookie-cutter stuff, express the personality of those people too. They tell you that either they're incapable of coming up with their own ideas or care exclusively about winning, that nothing else matters.

I've encountered some people like that; they're not entirely bratty kids. Some are rather nice, though their train of thinking is exclusively analysis and calculation and are thus artistically blind.

Falco320

The Golden summit!!
I just use my team from Pearl. I don't care if I lose. Though it is fun when I KO a huge Dragon type legendary Pokémon with my Lopunny.

what did you teach your Lopunny in order to take down a huge Dragon type legendary Pokémon???