• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What's the first episode of the anime you remember watching?

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
iirc it was the episode 'Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village' in 1998.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
It was a DP episode I know that much, it was either the chingling magician one or the one where Dawn catches pachirisu

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I honestly can't say for sure, it was definitely a DP episode but I like to think it was Tears for fears, the episode after Ash caught Chimchar and chimchar was dealing with its PTSD and cried on Ash's shoulder as Ash comforted it coz it was overwhelmed with actually feeling and being loved

But Honestly I feel like i consider that only coz it's my favourite episode of the anime due to all the nostalgia and that I have watched that episode the MOST due to so many reruns of it as well back when I came back to India

Coz like I remember watching episodes before that episode chronologically live, like the episode Paul released chimchar and all. So either episodes before Tears for fears were rerun on tv in America (where I was during DP period) or my first episode was in fact an earlier DP episode and i can't remember it
Oh well, I've watched every DP episode more than once lol and watched all the episodes in the anime. I remember watching some OS episodes on tv too live (which were definitely reruns)

Watching AG tho after DP was an insane whiplash, just felt like a downgrade. OS was fun though

I even watched all the special episodes and Pikachu shorts lol back then only

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Dawn of a Royal Day. I remember flipping through Cartoon Network in the early 2010’s and catching this episode airing. I knew about Pokémon but I didn’t have much interest before this but when I tell you I was gagged lol. Yet I kind of refused to admit it at the time because younger me thought Pokemon ~was for boys~. How I thought that after watching an episode where Dawn plays princess for a day in pretty dresses and Togekiss does a gorgeous performance I have no idea, but I digress. It was BW that really got me though, I watched the whole series in like a month or two, which is why I have so much fondness for it regardless of its quality.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
Nah, I don't remember having any problem watching this episode. And I have epilepsy.
Was it a bootleg DVD? Or was it just not banned in your region? I do know 4Kids supposedly did a localization that altered the visual effects, but they ended up just shelving it.

Edit: Actually conflicting reports by members of the dubbing team whether or not there were plans to dub the episode, so it’s unconfirmed.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
I literally think it was the final episode of AG where the Sceptile vs Blaziken episode happened (and that was a re-run after the series concluded). Somebody already exposed me to the older games which was FRLG and luckily I had a GameBoy.

I think I went through a phase where I thought watching cartoons was "childish" and I wanted to seem like a "big kid" so I stopped watching a bit of DP (lasted a small amount of time because the quality was hitting) but what really got me into the anime was BW. I think Pokemania was at an all time high (for me) and I remember being fascinated with Unova and playing BW with my step brother all the time whilst speculating all The Pokémon Ash would catch.

Overall glad I stuck by it and got to see Ash even win a league.

Last edited:

Jeal

Was it a bootleg DVD? Or was it just not banned in your region? I do know 4Kids supposedly did a localization that altered the visual effects, but they ended up just shelving it.

Edit: Actually conflicting reports by members of the dubbing team whether or not there were plans to dub the episode, so it’s unconfirmed.
People told me it was a bootleg. I just remember having a random episode on japanese with subtitles.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Oh wow, this is something that is making me think... it was like in 1998 or 1999, in Canada when I was 5 or 6, and I really really want to say it was the sandshrew episode with the green hair guy with a weird accent, or the academy episode with the rude but pretty girl. I also have them on VHS from when I was a kid that I watched a lot, so that may be why they come to mind first. I could have possibly started from the first episode, but it isn't something I remember and I doubt it. Maybe the metapod battle episode though.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I watched the whole series in like a month or two, which is why I have so much fondness for it regardless of its quality.
I feel like if you weren't really invested in Ash's history wether due to person indifference or just not being aware of his past accomplishments in other series while taking it as face value and it's own isolated series, it's a vibe

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I feel like if you weren't really invested in Ash's history wether due to person indifference or just not being aware of his past accomplishments in other series while taking it as face value and it's own isolated series, it's a vibe
No for real bc if now I was to rewatch BW, I’m sure I’d have to summon every last bit of willpower to watch past the many infamous dumbass decisions. But back then and even now when you ignore all the context that makes BW such an anomaly….it’s truly so fun. Some of the best fillers ever and the tone struck a balance between silliness and quality often enough (like the Don George battles) that you can overlook all the mistakes for a good time

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
The first one, a tv station bought the rights to it and started from the beginning
Almost 15 years ago

It aired here before but i was too young to remember anything
Btw as a fun fact the channel had to skip Master Quest and the two first AG seasons because the rights were still with the previous owner. They got part of Master Quest later but I never had the patience to watch the rest of the skipped seasons up to this day. Just major episodes like sick Pikachu in the beginning and etc
It went right to Advanced Battle and aired up to Diamond and Pearl. With some reruns they aired Dimensional and Galactic Battles, and they managed to be ahead of cable even for a short while

But they gave up on the anime before the end of Sinnoh and besides Ash and Paul I never got to watch the rest properly too
Actually since then I only managed to keep up with the anime in sub Kalos League, and watch it weekly since then

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
The episode where Ash caught Caterpie and Misty kept bullying it for being a bug type Pokemon. Also, the episode where Ash battles Brock and loses the first time. And of course, the first episode!